FishyMandy

My Golden Adventure

121 posts in this topic

Thanks guys. I'm sure Ill stop beating myself up soon. I think its mainly anxiety eating away and telling me everything I did wrong 

So I haven't updated this in so long...

Early in the Year, February...I lost Honey and Tiny. Honey injured herself in the pond again, I bought her in and got her better, but soon after that she started going downhill again. I can't remember if it was before or after my bedroom tank got ich, but either way she had been through a lot of meds in a short time by then, and when she started pineconing I decided it just wasn't going to be kind to her to continue treating and euthanized her. 
Tiny had been through a lot as well, had almost constant fin issues that would always come back, I eventually decided since it didn't seem to actually bother her I wouldn't give any more treatment, she was otherwise acting normal and seemed healthy, but she died suddenly and I found her floating dead.

I also got three new fish in January..Three Butterflies, Rhett, Link and Chase. Unfortunately they all got dropsy, it hit Link and Chase the hardest and they both passed away. Rhett is still with me but always seems a bit odd and often swims with a bit of a lean.

I havent bought any more new fish this year, I bought Buddy, Angel and Papi inside from the pond. The plan was for it to be temporary since it puts my tanks overstocked, the pump had broken down in my pond, the filter crashed and I wanted to at least slightly lessen the load on the pond. 

Buddy however is doing A LOT better inside. He is growing more, seems more active and just looks a lot brighter.

I did some swapping around too, so I moved Goldeen and Jasmine from the main tank to the bedroom tank, and Buddy and Papi to the main tank from the bedroom tank.  Goldeen and Jasmine seemed to be struggling a bit with the depth of the main tank, I'd prefer to have a tank that is a little shallower (my Main tank is 60cm tall, my bedroom tank is 45cm tall) and longer, but I don't like my chances of that happening.

The day after putting Papi in the main tank however, some of the boys had beaten her up badly. She is now in Quarantine recovering from her injuries.
Also in Quarantine is Albie who had a little mark I wanted to keep an eye on, she was hard to catch from the pond! She is looking good now...Oh that's another thing, I always thought she was a he, until she spurted hundreds and hundreds of eggs all over the QT tank!

Speaking of eggs, there are quite a few hundred eggs in my pond right now, I've bought a few inside and we'll see how we go, can see little eyes in them now!

So...looks like it's time to make Another year in Review...Though it's not very Exciting this time :o Also may not be very accurate as I was very frustrated and a lot happened that I didn't record here at all. 

January

The two fish I got in December 2016, Watson and Wilbur both died. Watson struggled a lot and though  tried to treat it was all too much for him and he just kept declining.

I got three new Fish, Calico Butterflies who I called Rhett, Link and Chase
I believe this is when Honey injured herself in the pond again, I bought her inside to treat and had plans to keep her inside permanently as she seemed injury proned outside

February

Rhett, Link and Chase all got dropsy while still in QT. Link and Chase were the worst and didn't make it.
Honey was still going through treatment, she was active and eating but physically looked not so good

March

(or Maybe February as I said above, but I feel like it was March)
I found Tiny floating dead in the pond :( There were no symptoms, she was just gone
My bedroom tank somehow got ich. I treated successfully with salt and heat. Luka reacted to the salt and started pineconing though, but he pulled through with epsom and meds.
Early March Honey started pineconing. She had been through A lot of treatment over the past year or so, so instead of treating her once more, I opted to euthanize her.

April-September

Nothing really exciting happened during this time. I was feeling frustrated from the large number of losses I had, and illnesses. I treated all of my tanks and pond with metro/prazi to try and clear out anything that could have been lurking.
Since treating everyone, they were all good! There were a couple of small things, just minor physical injuries like scrapes or ripped fins. Only a couple though. 

October-November

I discovered Albie, who I thought was a boy, was infact a girl! She was acting a little off so I bought her inside just to keep an eye on her, turns out she was just full of eggs that she littered all over the QT tank. Knowing she was ok, I put her back outside. There was a lot of chasing going on in the pond. Mostly between Picasso the Red/White Comet and Splasher the Shubunkin. Soon I found eggs all over the pond. I bought a few in to try and raise, and they hatched! 
I moved most of the babies outside at a month old and they started growing very well, but I did notice the numbers dropping...

December

I discovered the culprit that was dwindling the numbers in the pond - Dragonfly nymphs! I bought the fry in for a week or so and cleaned out the pond before securing netting over it so that dragonflies couldn't get in, and put them back out. They are still doing great and I think it will only be another week or so before they are all big enough to eat any dragonfly nymphs that get into the pond if I were to remove the net.

I also caved and got two new fish. A Mirrorscale comet who is named Soda, and a Red and White Tosakin who is named Rae

• Like 2

In a start to the new year that I did not want....luka is pineconing again.

He hasnt been exposed to any salt this time, so i unfortunately don't hold out much hope :(

My BEST to Luka!!!  :hug

20 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

In a start to the new year that I did not want....luka is pineconing again.

He hasnt been exposed to any salt this time, so i unfortunately don't hold out much hope :(

:hug 

Thanks guys :(

I'm treating, but I think honestly, its more for myself. This came on SO rapidly, and is so severe I don't think treatment is going to work...but I have to so I can say in my mind that I tried.

I've had him 3.5 years and I'd say he was AT LEAST a year old when I got him. He has been struggling with balance issues the past 18 months or so....

I'm devastated. He's my puppy fish and the one I've had longest out of everyone I have now :(

Hi Mandy. How is Luka doing?

Hi Dawn, 

It might be wishful thinking but I think he is looking a TINY bit better. One side is still extremely pineconed though. So he still isn't great. He is eating though

Hopefully he gets better. 3.5 years isn't that bad. Especially for a fish you got as an adult. Out of all the fish that have died on me, not once have I had dropsy. 

4 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Hi Dawn, 

It might be wishful thinking but I think he is looking a TINY bit better. One side is still extremely pineconed though. So he still isn't great. He is eating though

I hope Luka continues to get better!!!

20 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

I hope Luka continues to get better!!!

Me too :) 

Just updating on Luka...He is still pineconed, there has been no improvement in that area :( I'm not holding out much hope at this stage, he hasn't responded to treatment at all. He is slowly getting less energetic as well. I haven't been able to bring myself to make 'that' decision yet, but I don't think it's going to be long. :( 

Sorry I don't have a better update for you guys

8 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Just updating on Luka...He is still pineconed, there has been no improvement in that area :( I'm not holding out much hope at this stage, he hasn't responded to treatment at all. He is slowly getting less energetic as well. I haven't been able to bring myself to make 'that' decision yet, but I don't think it's going to be long. :( 

Sorry I don't have a better update for you guys

Im sorry :hug not an easy thing to watch :( 

Sorry to hear Luka isn't doing better Mandy.  :hug

1 hour ago, FishyMandy said:

Not good :( still no improvement. I think I'll be saying goodbye soon 

So sorry Mandy.  :hug

Thanks Dawn, it's really hard. he has been pineconed for two weeks now. He still tries to swim (he has been struggling with his balance for over a year now) and still is interested in food, but he just does not look good :(