Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jmetzger72

Sunsun HW 303B Canister Filter for 55 Gallon?

Lisa I take it you don't care for canisters lol

#UnderstatementOfTheYear

I think I might be the odd one here, but I actually prefer cleaning the canister over my old hobs.  I think canisters are really easy to clean.  I HATED cleaning my hobs, somehow I always made a mess.  I think the hobs are more fussy as well on starting them back up from being powered down.  

As far as leaking, I've not had problems, but I do watch them for a bit after opening them to make sure there is no water anywhere.  Mine both sit in little bins under my cabinet so I can easily see a leak and catch a small leak if there is one.

I have 2 fluval 405's that are very simple to maintain.

Hmm I'm liking this canister idea more and more

Update:  The canister filter  was delivered last night.  So, I decided to try and set it up.  The directions were incomprehensible and badly translated into English.  I couldn't get it going and then made the tragic mistake of opening the lid in my bedroom under the tank and water went everywhere.  I was up until 2:30 soaking up water from my carpet and getting the thing running.  Then I was so stressed about the whole experience that I didn't sleep at all.  I just don't think I can feel comfortable knowing water could go everywhere again.  So, I took it down and put my ACs back.

On top of that, I really don't like the way any of it looks, either.  The green tubes are gigantic and hard to maneuver and the intake and spray bars are clunky and somewhat flimsy.  The machine is also heavy and cumbersome.  I like the ease and look of my Aquaclears much better even if the tank has to stand out from the wall a little more.

I will be returning this or selling it if Amazon won't take it back :(

:k055:  Sheesh, sorry you had to go through all that . . . :o

Oh no!!! What a bummer. :( sorry it all happened that way.

:hug sorry for that crappy experience :(

Sorry Jared. I agree, the instructions are crap. I have used many canisters before these, so I didn't even use the instructions. They all setup the same, so I was used to them. Were the tubes room temp? They can be heated with a hair dryer to make them more pliable if they are cold. I think Amazon will take it back no problem. Just tell them it leaked so you aren't charged shipping. They will even have UPS pick it up from you.

Update:  The canister filter  was delivered last night.  So, I decided to try and set it up.  The directions were incomprehensible and badly translated into English.  I couldn't get it going and then made the tragic mistake of opening the lid in my bedroom under the tank and water went everywhere.  I was up until 2:30 soaking up water from my carpet and getting the thing running.  Then I was so stressed about the whole experience that I didn't sleep at all.  I just don't think I can feel comfortable knowing water could go everywhere again.  So, I took it down and put my ACs back.

On top of that, I really don't like the way any of it looks, either.  The green tubes are gigantic and hard to maneuver and the intake and spray bars are clunky and somewhat flimsy.  The machine is also heavy and cumbersome.  I like the ease and look of my Aquaclears much better even if the tank has to stand out from the wall a little more.

I will be returning this or selling it if Amazon won't take it back :(

Im Sorry Jared... I know When I had my 80 gallon tank I loved the ehiem... Had it running for 5 years no problems till the o ring failed on the top.... just would trickle water out of it....I tried some other brands like this and never had good luck with them..... :(

Sorry Jared. I agree, the instructions are crap. I have used many canisters before these, so I didn't even use the instructions. They all setup the same, so I was used to them. Were the tubes room temp? They can be heated with a hair dryer to make them more pliable if they are cold. I think Amazon will take it back no problem. Just tell them it leaked so you aren't charged shipping. They will even have UPS pick it up from you.

Thanks, Rob.  This being my first canister, I should have watched a video on Youtube before trying to run it.  I see what went wrong, but I also heard the impeller all night once I got it running.  So, it didn't suit either of my wishes for silence or looks.  I also realized I can't risk leaking issues as I have neighbors below me  :no:

That being said, I think this unit would be fine for a different set up on a first floor with no carpet or outside for a pond.  It's just not right for my bedroom :)

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.  

I've had the 3 canisters now a Filstar, Eheim, and Fluval.  The Filstar was a bear to setup, I was so so frustrated and it leaked from one of the seals.  What I finally did was watch some setup videos.  When I got the other 2 canisters I did the same.  It made it sooo much easier.  And then I watched people take them apart to clean, I actually took the whole lid off of my Filstar at the tank, instead of just removing the hoses...  Needless to say just disconnecting the hoses at the tank was a LOT easier and less messy.  

When I broke my Filstar, the reason I didn't get the same thing, was because I had such a hard time with the Filstar.  Went with the Fluval canister instead.  And I'm really happy with that decision, it was so much easier to setup.  They're more expensive than the Filstar/SunSun types, but possibly the only type I'd ever get now.  I love my Eheim too, but the Fluval for ease of use, is hard to beat.

And I'd not get anything bigger than the Fluval 306.  My younger self would have been fine (maybe), but those big canisters hold a lot of water and are heavy.  

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.  

I've had the 3 canisters now a Filstar, Eheim, and Fluval.  The Filstar was a bear to setup, I was so so frustrated and it leaked from one of the seals.  What I finally did was watch some setup videos.  When I got the other 2 canisters I did the same.  It made it sooo much easier.  And then I watched people take them apart to clean, I actually took the whole lid off of my Filstar at the tank, instead of just removing the hoses...  Needless to say just disconnecting the hoses at the tank was a LOT easier and less messy.  

When I broke my Filstar, the reason I didn't get the same thing, was because I had such a hard time with the Filstar.  Went with the Fluval canister instead.  And I'm really happy with that decision, it was so much easier to setup.  They're more expensive than the Filstar/SunSun types, but possibly the only type I'd ever get now.  I love my Eheim too, but the Fluval for ease of use, is hard to beat.

And I'd not get anything bigger than the Fluval 306.  My younger self would have been fine (maybe), but those big canisters hold a lot of water and are heavy.  

This is what I did...water everywhere...and on carpet  :yikes

As with most things, you get what you pay for. Sure a fluval is going to cost more, but it is high quality, and simple to maintain and operate. I also find that in general, most people just don't know what the heck they are doing. This is quite evident when reading the reviews of my fluval online. So many people complaining how hard the top is to remove. Many people needed tools to pry it off. LOL. The clamps are to be used for leverage and the top comes off with ease.  I love my cansiters. So much more room for media and I can not hear them at all since I have 1 HOB on the tank, which is louder.

Thanks, Rob.  This being my first canister, I should have watched a video on Youtube before trying to run it.  I see what went wrong, but I also heard the impeller all night once I got it running.  So, it didn't suit either of my wishes for silence or looks.  I also realized I can't risk leaking issues as I have neighbors below me  :no:

That being said, I think this unit would be fine for a different set up on a first floor with no carpet or outside for a pond.  It's just not right for my bedroom :)

I had a problem with the impeller on one of them. I took it apart and found the shaft had broken in shipping. Once they sent me a new one, it was silent.

As with most things, you get what you pay for. Sure a fluval is going to cost more, but it is high quality, and simple to maintain and operate. I also find that in general, most people just don't know what the heck they are doing. This is quite evident when reading the reviews of my fluval online. So many people complaining how hard the top is to remove. Many people needed tools to pry it off. LOL. The clamps are to be used for leverage and the top comes off with ease.  I love my cansiters. So much more room for media and I can not hear them at all since I have 1 HOB on the tank, which is louder.

I agree with the red statement.  This was my first canister and I had no idea what I was doing.  So, this is what really annoyed me about the lack of directions (almost none).  An item such as this, that could potentially cause serious water damage to your home if misused or defective, should come with explicit directions.  And not only were the instructions deficient, they were not even sensibly translated into English  :madrant

In the end, the main reason that I am returning it is because I don't like the way it looks and the impeller rattles.