Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jmetzger72

Sunsun HW 303B Canister Filter for 55 Gallon?

I'm considering trying this filter for my 55 gallon Goldfish tank in my bedroom:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Media-SUNSUN-HW-303B-4-STAGE-AQUARIUM-EXTERNAL-CANISTER-FILTER-9W-UV-/381169421416?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58bf77cc68

My reasons are mainly aesthetic because I've been working on making my bedroom look nicer.  Removing my HOBs will allow me to move the tank back several inches closer to the wall giving me more walking space between the foot of the bed and the aquarium.  In addition, it will look nicer as you enter the room and is should be quieter than my AC 70s.  

Is this GPH sufficient?  I'm trying to be cost effective.  Any feedback is appreciated.  Lisa, I already know your opinion :rofl

Jared, the description says it only does 370GPH...you may need two of them lol

I believe with cannister filters, you only need 6-7X GPH?  If not, I will buy the larger one that does 520.

I use this on my 55, but I also have a AC110 on the same tank. While I love the filter, I am not sold on the claim of the GPH. I don't think any of the sunsun's actually pump the GPH they claim. That being said, they are perfectly quiet, easy to maintain and clean and setup and priming is a breeze. I love both of mine.

I use this on my 55, but I also have a AC110 on the same tank. While I love the filter, I am not sold on the claim of the GPH. I don't think any of the sunsun's actually pump the GPH they claim. That being said, they are perfectly quiet, easy to maintain and clean and setup and priming is a breeze. I love both of mine.

So, would you recommend the model up that does 520 GPH?  I don't want any HOBs on the tank if I go to this.

I believe with cannister filters, you only need 6-7X GPH?  If not, I will buy the larger one that does 520.

I would do that if you only plan on 1 filter. I am actually thinking of adding 2 more of these canisters to my 55's and replacing all HOB's. I unplugged all my HOB's the other day and it was pure bliss.

So, would you recommend the model up that does 520 GPH?  I don't want any HOBs on the tank if I go to this.

Yes

This is good to know, I wanted to try canisters, the noise from my HOB are driving me crazy and I need some pure bliss right now

I would go with the HW-304B  :)

Edited by Mikey

I have the Fluval 306 on my 40B and I don't think its enough for my tank.  So I'm guessing the SunSun 303b wouldn't be enough for a 55gallon either.  I think biologically its fine, but I thought there were to many solids left in the tank with just it.  I got a smaller eheim to go with it and really like the combo for keeping the tank clean.

I like having 2 smaller canisters over 1 big one and probably would never just run 1 big one.  Safety factor if 1 isn't working, I clean one of them every other week (overkill I know, but its easy and I'm a tad overstocked) so I'm not really worried about cycle bumps if I'm overzealous, and I can't even imagine how much heavier/awkward 1 bigger canister would be. The fluval 306 is at the edge of what I'm comfortable cleaning.  I'm not sure I could easily manage anything bigger and would skimp on cleaning it.  

Yes it usually is, but like HomerJay says, if that brand of filter doesn't really run the GPH as it says it does I'd upgrade to the bigger size. ;)

You probably read me saying this before, but the 5 HOB filters, on the 3 tanks in my bedroom makes it sound like I am sleeping right next to the Niagara Falls! :rolleyes: So I know what it's like :teehee Maybe I should get canister filters sometime in the future :hummm

I have only a 406 running on my 75 (for now) but maybe I should add a Sun Sun eventually. :peeka

As far as the brands quality. I would say it is a good canister filter, also consider its price. Mine has been working great so far. Ive had mine for around 3 months it is really quiet and easy to conceal.

I think it's doable depending on your fish load and feeding habits.

I bought the 304B which is 525 GPH  :flex:

So, I didn't buy the carbon, bio-balls or ceramic media.  The unit comes with the white fine filter pads and I have tons of Biomax from my 2 AC 70s plus some extra in storage.  I also bought a 3-pack of the blue course filter pads.

I don't use carbon, but should I get the bio-balls?

How do you guys have your set up?

So, I didn't buy the carbon, bio-balls or ceramic media.  The unit comes with the white fine filter pads and I have tons of Biomax from my 2 AC 70s plus some extra in storage.  I also bought a 3-pack of the blue course filter pads.

I have with me the bio balls, included in the package. But did not use the carbon as per advice of fellow members. On the bottom most of my filter is the pads, 2nd layer are the ceramic rings. And the 1st layer consists of the bio balls.

I use both the ceramic and bio balls only because they were included. In my smaller sunsun i only use ceramic.

I have it setup with large pore sponge on bottom and some bio balls, then pads and bioballs in 2nd level and pads and ceramic rings in third level.

Edited by HomerJay

Okay, I have course blue pads, fine white pads, large Fluval Biomax rings and small AC Biomax.  So, I'm thinking:

Tray 4 (top) = 1 fine white pad under small AC Biomax

Tray 3 (upper middle) = 1 fine white pad under large Fluval Biomax rings

Tray 2 (lower middle) = 1 fine white pad

Tray 1 (bottom) =  1 course blue pad

Or

Tray 4 (top) = Small AC Biomax

Tray 3 (upper middle) = Large Fluval Biomax rings

Tray 2 (lower middle) = 2 fine white pads

Tray 1 (bottom) =  2 course blue pads

:idont

I'd put your coarsest pad/filter media on the bottom and the fine on the very top.  My fine white pads are pretty thin so I just put them on top of my highest bio layer.  If they give you some mech ring type things maybe throw those in the bottom tray, then a tray of coarse blue pads, then large biomax, then small biomax with the fine filter on top.  The concept being each layer gets progressively smaller for particle capture, it should be less likely to plug up or restrict flow that way.

For my setups I pretty much followed what Eheim or Fluval told me, which seems to be a good largest to smallest setup.

Eheim classics:  

Top - Fine pad

3 - Eheim substrate pro (biomax type stuff)

2 - Coase foam filter

Bottom - Eheim Mech, which is some type of ceramic rings with large holes

Fluval:

Top - Fine pad and chemical on top - I don't use chemical so just threw in more Biomax type

3 - Biomax

2 - Coarse foam

First - Foam filter

I was hoping you were going to say you were going to move it back against the wall, leaving space for the depth of a 75 gallon which we would set up together when I'm there for spring break!  :rockon 

:lol2

I'd do the second option that you listed as far as media . . .  :D     If you insist on a canister.  :rofl3

Is the maintenance on these easy. I heard they are coming from more experienced people but how about to a semi-newbie. HOB is the only thing I've owed and maintenance on them is simple. I also heard the horror stories of crazy leaks and dreadful maintence. I would love to venture out into the canister world but......

I will refrain from answering that.  :tomuch:

I was hoping you were going to say you were going to move it back against the wall, leaving space for the depth of a 75 gallon which we would set up together when I'm there for spring break! :rockon

[emoji38]2

I'd do the second option that you listed as far as media . . . :DIf you insist on a canister. :rofl3

Lol...I did actually consider the 75, but I really need the space :)

Is the maintenance on these easy. I heard they are coming from more experienced people but how about to a semi-newbie. HOB is the only thing I've owed and maintenance on them is simple. I also heard the horror stories of crazy leaks and dreadful maintence. I would love to venture out into the canister world but......

We shall see. Again, my reasons are purely aesthetic. If I hate it, I can always go back to my AC 70s :)