Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
aquabubbles

Is it good to mix/change staple pellets?

I feed my goldies Hikari Lionhead as their staple food (along with bloodworms, brine shrimp, veggies, etc.) and they seem to be doing quite well on it. So I'm wondering if it is good or beneficial to switch things up? I thought maybe I should get some NLS just to give them some variety :) 

I give mine a variety of pellets which is hakari lion head, NLS and shrimp pellets also with veggies and bloodworms repashy soilent green gel food and peas. They love it and do well with the constant mix. You can always try adding new stuff slowly to see how they like it.

Edited by Cdionne77

Of course! In fact it's actually encouraged to do that. :D

Definitely try the NLS. It's one of the best goldfish pellets out there ingredient-wise. I'd recommend Thera A or Algaemax (if you want to get more plant matter in). If your goldies are not on a supplemental gel food than I'd highly recommend starting one also. Repashy Soilent Green and Super Green are good choices and NLS came out with one a while ago too.

I'd recommend feeding the new food solely for a day or so just to make sure your goldfish don't experience any floatiness from the new food.

Variety is the spice of life. :)

Sure you can! :) Variety is good. I feed my goldfish a variety of 4 different pellets, 2 different gel foods, a couple kinds of fresh veggies, & dried seaweed sheets.

I think your current diet looks pretty varied already.  But NLS would be fine to alternate with the Hikari Lionhead.  That is what I do.  The Thera-A is a good choice because it contains extra garlic which helps to prevent internal infections.

I mixed Hikari LH, NLS Thera+A, NLS cichlid formula and feed them as a staple. I then supplement with BW, BS, veggies, and repashy solient green.

Goldfish buffet gets everybody happy.

By mixing up high quality pellets and other foods, you are giving them a variety of nutrition AND stimulation. If you have a set amount portioned out that they eat every day, try dividing that over the 24 hour period (eg 1/2 before you leave for work/school, 1/4 when you get home, 1/4 before you go to bed.) and each can be a combination or different food.

Just don't over feed for their weight, but you know that.  :rolleyes: