Kokos Goldfish Forum

Hello..

After some try and error & "some deals" I decided to upgrade my 20G to a 125G..

I know is a huge gap.. I wasn't really planning to do this and I don't even know if I'm gonna be able to keep up with it but Im only hoping for the best..

I'm having right now two little residents (survivors of Petsmart) who already passed the QT succesfully

and another 5 goldies (from a better source) in QT tanks..

I wanted to show mainly the sump set up.. I'm a newbie and I only arranged the media to my little knowledge but if one of you experts tells me otherwise I'll be happy to rearrange..

I have first two layers of pink filter pad at the drip tray for mechanical

Then, blue bioballs right under with an extra line of oxigen for gas exchange

followed by some black small bioballs with sponge inside which are half way submerged

Then some ceramic rings & substrat pro spheres..

Last, I added some foam block before returning to the tank for extra mechanical

I also decided to make a DIY algae scrubber to keep the nitrates (hopefully) under control & eventually being able to overstock..

On the overflow box I decided to "wrap" the screen insert with some blue pad but if you guys think I'm slowing down the flow by doing that I'll remove it...

I'm waiting on a deal I'm cooking for an FX5 or FX6 so right now I only have that small sump (Eshopps wd-75cs) & a Fluval 306

which I think it is (kinda) sufficient for two small residents..

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!!

20150306_144401_zpszcpitemj.jpg

20150313_222233_zpsappnkibw.jpg

20150313_112536_zpshkeoxoly.jpg

20150313_113137_zpst81bvvdx.jpg

I just want to say it looks awesome so far!

That looks epic and I love the look of solid gold's old tank and your tank looks like here old setups :) well done! :D

Please let us all know how the algae scrubber works out for you as far as controlling Nitrates. 

That's a sweet set up. Can't wait to see it with some fish in it. :thumb:

Edited by Mr.B

Looks great!!!!!

Awesome!

I myself want a sump for my tank but i can not grasp my head around the plumbing part!

I read that an overflow box stil gives you the chance for leaks, which is a no go for me.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Dang... Thats a awesome set up :thumbs:

Whaaa awesome!!

My husband keeps asking me about sumps every time he sees the displays at our lfs. I knoweth not a thing about em! Your tank looks fantastic. It will be a lovely showcase for your fish. :)

I also have a 125 and felt so intimidated by it at first. I was really scared water changes would become a chore for me. While yes, they do take longer than with my 55, there is no rush. I use a pond pump to empty, then run a hose from the kitchen sink to refill, and can manage filter maintenance and whatever else while that's going on. :)

Wow! :thud Congrats on the upgrade :D It looks fantastic! I can't wait to see some fish swimming in that huge tank ;)

Wow!  Can't wait to see your fish in it.

Go big or go home.  You went big.  :rofl3

Looks great. :D

Oh my.... serious.... tank... envy!! :thud

It looks incredible! Can't wait for an update with some fish in it :)

Thank you all for your feedback.. It has been a lot of work putting this project together so you comments mean a lot.. Thanks!!

Koko.. I wanted to ask how do I contact you directly..??.. "pm" perhaps..

The source where I got my latest fish has an "Annual Spring Koi & Goldfish sale & Festival" coming in April & I thought of helping him to get the word out

He also holds (in October) the largest annual goldfish competition in TX where Tommy from "Goldfishnet" has won some of his awards

Anyway.. I guess I can explain more directly.. Thanks!

Your tank looks awesome! Great job on the sump set up also! It's something I've wanted to do really bad myself, but just have not had the motivation to get moving on. I think it's great you did this; it will save you the trouble of upgrading and then upgrading again later. I wish I would have started with my large tank right from the get go. But, at the time I had no idea I was going to want so many fish. These critters are addictive!   :lol2

Koko.. I wanted to ask how do I contact you directly..??.. "pm" perhaps..

The source where I got my latest fish has an "Annual Spring Koi & Goldfish sale & Festival" coming in April & I thought of helping him to get the word out

He also holds (in October) the largest annual goldfish competition in TX where Tommy from "Goldfishnet" has won some of his awards

Anyway.. I guess I can explain more directly.. Thanks!

you can pm or email me...email is always at the bottom of the main forum :)

I know Tommy got two fish from him years ago :)