Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
youngb204

Feeding Guppy Fry?

Is it possible to let guppies breed, then throw their fry into the goldfish tank and let the goldfish eat them?

Like is there a benefit to this? Or should I just avoid it.

I would avoid that. You don't know how the goldfish will react to the guppy fry, especially internally. Plus, there is a chance of transferring disease or even parasites. Even in a 'healthy' tank there will often be parasites or bacteria. The fish in the tank will grow accustomed to those specific parasites. Introducing a new fish to the tank will cause the new fish to be effected by these parasites due to lack of experience with them. 

If you want a good high-protein animal based food, feed Frozen Bloodworms. Those are the best protein source for goldfish. Here is an article as to why that is: http://www.raingarden.us/bloodworms_legos.pdf

I would avoid that. You don't know how the goldfish will react to the guppy fry, especially internally. Plus, there is a chance of transferring disease or even parasites. Even in a 'healthy' tank there will often be parasites or bacteria. The fish in the tank will grow accustomed to those specific parasites. Introducing a new fish to the tank will cause the new fish to be effected by these parasites due to lack of experience with them. 

If you want a good high-protein animal based food, feed Frozen Bloodworms. Those are the best protein source for goldfish. Here is an article as to why that is: http://www.raingarden.us/bloodworms_legos.pdf

I already got freeze dried blood worms..

I soaked them then crushed pressed on them and threw them in the tank,

they sank and the goldfish LOVED.  a pinch gone within 10 seconds

Is it ok to use the freeze dried food for now? and whenever that runs out i can get frozen.

I would stay away from freeze dried. They're pretty worthless. It's like feeding potato chips instead of a whole potato, if you know what I mean.

To add what "ChelseaM"..... I had guppies in a 20 gallon tank about 100 or more, moved them to a Goldfish pond (70 gallons) when I took down the pond there must have been about 1k guppies in there.... So the point is that Goldfish dont always eat other fish and its just not a good idea...

If you dont want guppies to breed like that, I suggest letting the adults eat there fry or dont have boy guppies in there :thumbs: