Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Amie Grady

Am I the only weirdo who doesn't like fancies?

46 posts in this topic

New goldfish addict here! I want to buy ALL the fish! Although, I seem to be alone in my liking of single tails! I currently have 5 comets and 2 shubunkins, and am pining after a plain old common!

Fancies, while I think some are very pretty, just don't interest me me at all! In fact, I find some of them rather ugly. Lol.

Anyone else?! Or am I strange?

I love fancies, but I also adore comets and shubunkins. It's personal taste :)

I like both types myself. While some fancies don't peak my interest, there are a lot of single tails that do the same. I think it just depends on the fish itself. I have found the fancies to be more personable, but I love a nice big healthy single tail for looks.

I like all of them. Some are too extreme for me to keep, like pearlscales, because I am scared I will hurt them or something, but I generally like all goldfish varieties.

I have always been a Ranchu, Lionhead and Oranda lover but now I like me Shunkins..... :)

If I get my pond back I will be doing Wakins. :)

I like all of them. Some are too extreme for me to keep, like pearlscales, because I am scared I will hurt them or something, but I generally like all goldfish varieties.

I dont like Pearls cause they look like they got Dropys to me :scared

I have always been a Ranchu, Lionhead and Oranda lover but now I like me Shunkins..... :)

If I get my pond back I will be doing Wakins. :)

I dont like Pearls cause they look like they got Dropys to me :scared
Thats what i always thought about pearlies. They are cute and round vut they freak me out too

Many people find goldfish to be attractive fish, but don't fancy the fancies. :)

I never thought I would like a pearlscale until I had one of my own. She is not the extreme round body type of a Tiku nor does she have the crown of a Hamanishiki as she's a hybrid of both, so she's sitting right in between and I find her to be an amazing, irreplaceable part of my aquarium. :9

Edited by Chai

Before I really knew how to care for goldfish many years ago, I used to have a small 20 gallon pond with a Sarasa Commet in it, that I'd bring inside during winter and put into a 15 gallon tank. He lived for 3 years between going outside in the pond in Summer and indoors in Winter. Then I bought some little Shubunkins and some common feeder goldfish to put into the pond. But after a while, something was eating them over night. Either Raccoons or all the stray cats in the neighborhood I guess. I love single tails very much :heart But I thought I'd try to have a fancy goldfish to live inside the house in it's own tank so I bought a Black Moor :) But....it died within a month. I bought more Black Moors plus a few fantails, but they too would die soon after so I gave up on Fancies and went back to commons and comets that lived longer for me. But like I said that was before I knew the right way to care for goldfish.

Now I have fancies again seeing I get help with their care and the proper way to do things now from everyone here on Koko's. But I do still love single tails and always will :D

I am going to attempt getting a Black Moor again soon.....I hope I can now keep it alive and healthy from what I have learned. *Fingers Crossed* Otherwise it means I have the "Black Moor Curse" :(

Sorry for my long reply :blahblah

I don't care for most extreme traits with the exception of the telescope eye (which I at one time disliked) as far as fancies go I think you can't beat a regular fantail.

That said I've decided not to get any more fancies. Any fish I get now will be single tail long bodied goldfish.

When i first started keeping goldfish I also did not like fancies. Then I found Beefcake...

Personally I only like fancies and can appreciate a well taken care of single tail, but I would never own one.

I like the shubunkins but I have fancies in my tank. If I got myself a pre-made larger pond I would have a few. But the filter is a problem. I am not a DIY person and neither is my husband.  So my little 55 gallon pond is not a frog pond and no filter.

I had a common in my tank and they are just way to big IMO and fast for my aquarium.  

There are lots of people here who like long-bodied fish.  I think these are truly beautiful, while the fancies are more likely "cute."  You see a lot more about fancies, in part because a lot of the topics are about sick fish.

They do differ in temperament.  Long-bodied fish have more "pond smarts," while fancies are likely to be more "domesticated."  My fish are mostly in our screened pool enclosure, and our pool guy (who loves fish)  notices that the pond-type fish generally ignore him while not being the least afraid of him.  He's familiar, but doesn't feed them.  The fancies follow him with their mouths open.

Tastes are very individual. A variety of fancy goldfish that is very popular on this forum is (to me) grotesque.  I won't say what variety, because I'm not about to insult anyone's fish.  

I really like fantails.  My home-grown fantails are either the children or grandchildren of a pearlscale and a fantail.  They are as vigorous as my comets, and perfectly adorable.  I must say, that as cute as baby commons/comets/shubunkin are, the baby fantails are even cuter.  

I didn't used to like telescopes and now I do. I think there are plenty who don't like fancies, and that's just fine! I don't love all breeds of dog, either ;)

I would NEVER have imagined keeping Oranda's or any goldfish with a wen.

OMG.......it's now like a Goldfish Cupid has shot a bloodworm proboscis into my proverbial.

:pease:  Oranda's and wens !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comets will always hold a special place in my heart because the fish that began my love of aquariums and fish keeping was a little comet named Ned.

I currently only have fancies, but I would love to someday own single tails again.

I like most goldfish breeds... Except pearlscale! Eek, they kind of freak me out  :scared No offense to anyone who owns/loves them, I'm sure your fish are great! It's just me  :sorry::

Although I've seen some beautiful fancies on here with beautiful colors, I do prefer the more natural fish shape of single tails. I started out with four Comets who had fry. Now I have nine in total. They are very personable. Eat from my hands. Allow me to pet their heads and love their graceful swimming and darting around the tank

bca0dacfb05882a3d20d4b2dab525bbc.jpg Edited by DieselPlower

I really like MOST fancies...especially Orandas....but right now I have a menagerie! A Ryukin, Black Moor, 2 Orandas, and my favorite a Comet named 50 cent that I got right out of a FEEDER TANK..(guess how much he cost me)

BUT there are SOME that FREAK ME OUT....namely Celestial Eyes!! :yikes I doubt I would take one if offered to me FREE...No I KNOW I WOULDN'T TAKE ONE!

I really like MOST fancies...especially Orandas....but right now I have a menagerie! A Ryukin, Black Moor, 2 Orandas, and my favorite a Comet named 50 cent that I got right out of a FEEDER TANK..(guess how much he cost me)

BUT there are SOME that FREAK ME OUT....namely Celestial Eyes!! :yikes I doubt I would take one if offered to me FREE...No I KNOW I WOULDN'T TAKE ONE!

Same here! I'm not a fan of celestials or bubble eyes I hate how they are always looking up... It's really creepy to me.

I keep my goldfish indoors and I like telescope eye butterfly tails, I have four in a 300 litre tank. That said I want to put in a garden pond and have the new types of Shubunkins with large areas of black - they look like little koi to me

Like the first reply said, It's really just each individual person's preference. :) I personally really only like fancies. Telescopes are by far my favorite type of fancy, by a long shot. But I also really do enjoy a pretty fantail . . . Single tailed goldfish aren't really my thing. Somehow I find my floating balls of chub to have a little more personality than single tails. But maybe that just cause I'm a little biased haha :P

I like to divulge in the best of both worlds, I keep both types.

Though when I started I never liked fancies either but then again years ago I didn't even know there were fancies or how many different types of goldfish there were now I want one of them all in every color combo!!!

I use to think there was only one type of goldfish, the orange common....boy did I get a suprise hahahha

I love singletails! The best part is that you can get one for under a dollar and raise it to be something really beautiful and special. That's my favorite thing about them. :)

I have two singletails that have been with me since day one and helped me learn from all my fish-keeping mistakes. They are so much more hardy and have so much personality. I don't have much experience with fancies......I certainly like them but there's something about singletails that gives me a little happy feeling deep inside. They remind me a lot of carp when I watch them sometimes, and they swim so fluidly.

I have a little comet who lost her dorsal when she was young....Now she is so chubby that she reminds me of a shukin when I glance at her sometimes. :teehee

11033050_1424188487877418_588479225_n.jp

10948804_370213589827913_1847725691_n.jp

....derp queens. :rofl

Orange is my second fave single tail ever. :wub:

My judgmental, demanding, sassy, lady being #1 :ehh

UQP22Ssl.jpg

Edited by Chai