Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Amie Grady

Am I the only weirdo who doesn't like fancies?

46 posts in this topic

Wow what a beautiful fish, is she a jet black comet or shubunkin. I am feeling serious fish envy here  :D

Wow what a beautiful fish, is she a jet black comet or shubunkin. I am feeling serious fish envy here :D

She's a koi/comet hybrid. :D

Very very very active fish, very sweet, and interactive with me and her two tankmates. :heart

Edited by Chai

I love shubies. I also happen to be slightly obsessed with black moor. 

A beautiful fish, I don't think we have them here in Australis

My tastes have evolved over the years - I used to keep only fancies but now I've got a little bit of everything. If I had to pick a single favorite goldfish though, it would be a calico oranda. The only types of goldfish I don't like are the ones where their "features" impact their quality of life - e.g. celestials or bubble eyes.

If I could have these fish I would be a very happy man - sadly I don't think we have them in Australia

Shubunkin%20Black_zpsy5buucjd.jpg

Shubunkin%20Black%20White%20Red_zpsjai8u

sanke%20shubunkin-15_zpsroeyjmdm.jpg

And finally a beauty with fantastic fins

Shubunkin%20Black%20White_zpsed2y9bji.jp

They look like they're blurring the lines of line finned koi there.

I know what you mean but apparently they are pure goldfish bred from a Shubunkin line - beautiful aren't they?

The nicest are the Black Water Creek shubunkin.  They are raised about 25 miles from my house.  I'd have some but my ponds were overloaded with goldfish before I learned of them.

The nicest are the Black Water Creek shubunkin. They are raised about 25 miles from my house. I'd have some but my ponds were overloaded with goldfish before I learned of them.

You live that close! I'd love to have some if their fish.

They're beautiful, but I'd never buy from NextDayKoi to get them. I would, however, go to the source at Blackwater Creek.

Sharon, did you know that Jennie moved down to DeLand to work at a koi farm there?

I really like Jenny's sg.com page and her facebook page. I became one of Jenny's Patreon sponsors so she could keep making videos. It was watching her beautiful Telescope Eye Butterfly Tails that inspired me to get some of my own.

I have the best of both worlds...in the 125 gallon indoor tank black moor,rukyn,red cap, two orandas...and in the 400 gallon pond 2 commons and 2 shubukins who were my first goldfish, but needed more room than I could handle indoors.  Love them all!

Sharon, did you know that Jennie moved down to DeLand to work at a koi farm there?

No I didn't.  What farm?

The nicest are the Black Water Creek shubunkin. They are raised about 25 miles from my house. I'd have some but my ponds were overloaded with goldfish before I learned of them.

You live that close! I'd love to have some if their fish.

They ship.  http://www.koisale.com/KoiStore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=69

No I didn't.  What farm?

Black Water Creek. :)

Edited by ChelseaM

No I didn't.  What farm?

That's terrific!  I knew they had farms in the Eustis/Deland area, but I didn't know until today that they also had one in the panhandle.  One of the most interesting things about Blackwater Creek farms is their biosecurity practices.  I wonder if employees have to be disinfected before they go to work.  :)    They don't bring in any outside stock, and no fish they take to a show returns to the farm.  That's one reason why I always recommend these fish.  

No I didn't.  What farm?

That's terrific!  I knew they had farms in the Eustis/Deland area, but I didn't know until today that they also had one in the panhandle.  One of the most interesting things about Blackwater Creek farms is their biosecurity practices.  I wonder if employees have to be disinfected before they go to work.   :)    They don't bring in any outside stock, and no fish they take to a show returns to the farm.  That's one reason why I always recommend these fish.  

I thought so too. She'll learn a lot and it will be a dream experience. 

I wondered about if she'd get disinfected as well, since she has so many fish still. I read all about their biosecurity and thought it both awesome and slightly scary! :o I have never seen such strictness. 

Perhaps they have a UV filter for humans.

:rofl 

I wonder if they have hazmat-style uniforms or some sort of disinfectant light for clothes like they use for high-end sterilizers.

I'm partial to Western fantails without much of a hump. My Gywn had a bit more, okay a LOT more social interaction with me than my all of my 14 comets and commons. Even my koi. So I'm in the middle.