Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
aquabubbles

Goldfish eggs - Help!

I came home from work a few minutes ago and found my goldfish tank filled with eggs! The goldfish have been doing the breeding ritual (chasing and hitting stomach) for a few days, almost non-stop, but I wasn't expected any eggs. I don't actually know if they're fertilized or not... Is there a way to tell? The eggs are stuck all over the bottom and sides of the tank and the decor. I have no idea what to do!! 

Since they're sticking, I bet the're fertilized. 

Do you feel like you can put in the effort to raise the fry, or would you rather wait until you have time for daily feedings, daily WCs, and a place to raise them? If so, then remove anything you can that has eggs to a separate tub of clean, dechlorinated water.

I really want to raise them :) I've bred guppies before and raised the fry, so I know somewhat the things I'll have to do. For the guppy fry I did water changes and fed four times daily, which worked well with my schedule (and the fry!), so I think I can do it. 

How do I get the eggs off the bottom/sides without hurting them? They look so delicate. And for a separate container, does it matter the size? I have some clear plastic food-safe storage totes, would those work? I think they're around 1-2 gallons. I can get something bigger tomorrow for the eventual fry to grow in, but that's all I have right now. I don't have any extra actual tanks. 

Thank you for the help!

I wouldn't try for the eggs on the sides of the tank. They would be too difficult to get off easily. 

You'll want a tub that will hold just enough water to cover the decor that you have. When they're young, they should have very shallow water. (a few inches) Sure, until they hatch it is fine to keep them in the 1-2gal tubs, but it would be a good idea to get something bigger once they've hatched in a few days, preferably something that can be kept heated so that they don't get too cold. 

Aww, too bad, looks like a majority of the eggs are stuck to the bottom (it's a bare bottom tank) and sides. :(

So just take out the plants/rock/caves/etc. that have the eggs on and put them right into the container? 

I can definitely get a bigger something to put them in tomorrow!  Should I put a sponge filter on it? My "fish room" stays in the mid 70s; would a heater still be necessary?  I can pick one up tomorrow if need be. :) I'll be going on a fishy shopping trip! 

From what I've been reading, they hatch in 3-5 days, right? 

For food, would infusoria be suitable during the beginning when the fry are quite small? I can start a culture. I know BBS is good too. 

Sorry for dumping all these questions on you!!

It is no problem at all. :) 

Pop all those things into the container and cover them with the water. 

If the fishroom stays constantly at that temp, no heater is necessary. 

Don't add a sponge until the fish develop their tails, since they're so frail when they're first born. Now would probably be a good time to seed one, though.

3-5 days is the average hatch time, yes. Until then, keep an eye out for white eggs or fungus of any kind and remove it immediately.

I haven't used infusoria, honestly, so I'm not sure. My favorite things to use are Repashy Spawn and Grow (sprinkle the powder until they're big enough to eat it as a gel, then make it into gel) or Hikari First Bites. I couple either powder food with floating plants in their tank at all times so that they have something to graze on all day. Floating plants have lots of microbugs that the fry can eat, and the roots are also good food for the babies in-between feedings. I've used both duckweed and baby water lettuce. Either works.

I ended up having to do multiple containers so all the decor would fit, but it's all in water now! 

A few eggs had fuzzy white stuff covering them, so I removed those. 

I will look into getting both those foods. I know the local fish store carries Hikari First Bites, I've seen it there, so I can definitely get some of that. Good to hear about the duckweed! I have loads of it!! 

Thank you so much for all the help, it is very much appreciated!

I found a few more white/fuzzy eggs last night, I removed those immediately. 

This is so exciting! I can see the little fry inside the eggs!! It looks just like a little smiling face, two dots and a semi-circle. I will have to get some photos later today. 

There are about 50 or so adorable fry!! They seem healthy and have been eating like little pigs. :) I managed to find the Hikari First Bites, so that's their primary food. 

I have a question: Most of the fry are a brownish translucent colour, but I noticed a few white ones. Are they albino?