Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jim_D

Small fish as Goldfish Food

Hi all,

I live on a rural coastal beach and also have an estuary inlet in front of my home.

There are schools of juvenile baitfish presently in their millions around my mooring, they are getting smashed by predators in the morning and evenings.

I can scoop up literally thousands simply by using a net, if they were humanely put to sleep by being frozen would they be a suitable food for goldfish? I would freeze a good supply of them in ice cube trays for a continuous supply.

The way I'm thinking is that they would be a good and complete food, having, brains, liver, kidneys, blood, bones (calcium) etc in one 'package' also being saltwater fish there can't be any transfer of disease.

Presently the smaller sized schools are about the size of a match head to two match heads, but they grow rapidly. The different sized schools stick together so getting the right size would be easy.

I've used these bait fish for decades to feed salt water fish and also as food for reef tanks, but never for goldfish before.

Can you see any negatives in feeding these small whole fish to goldfish?

Not a good idea.  You have no idea what illnesses you might be exposing your goldfish too.

You don't know how the goldfish will digest them and what impact that may have on their bodies. I would not risk it. 

Edited by ChelseaM

I don't think they'd have a problem digesting them would they? Goldfish eat there own fry and are partial to guppy fry in ponds.

In regards to diseases. What diseases could be transferred from saltwater fish?

I really have no idea but I do know they do get illnesses and I am sure they are not good for your goldfish.  Plus with all the great gold fish foods out there why risk it?..... I just would not do it.

People can get parasites and diseases from eating uncooked or undercooked marine fish.  So it's hard to imagine that goldfish wouldn't.