Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
phoebie

Food for larger goldies?

I recently adopted a common goldfish who is currently 8 inches and she doesnt even notice my Hikari Lionhead pellets, what is the best food for larger fish?

I use the larger size sinking Hikari wheat germ pellets. I think you can get most of the NLS formulas in larger size pellets.

Same foods, just more of it! My big girls love their saki hikari red which is a 1/2mm baby pellet, same food that I feed my guppies as its the perfect size of their mouths. :rofl3

You can also try feeding them NLS, it comes in different sizes if you'd like to try a bigger pellet. A smaller pellet is better for digestion, though. :)

Edited by Chai

Since goldfish do better at digesting smaller pieces of food, just feed more of what you are feeding. 

A goldfish should notice food... is everything healthy with him?

She is healthy I think she isn't used to sinking foods she seems to browse the surface of the water for food as opposed to looking at the floor all the time haha

That may be your problem then! :teehee It takes awhile for a fish that is used to floating food to understand the concept of sinking food.

She is healthy I think she isn't used to sinking foods she seems to browse the surface of the water for food as opposed to looking at the floor all the time haha

That takes some time, yup. :) Also if there's sand and they've never seen it before... It's like a completely alien thing to them and they're like "I am supposed to eat off this???".. Eventually nature instincts take over and they're sifting through it for food like intended.

They'll get the hang of it with time... Food from the bottom will make total sense to them in no time! :heart

Do you have gravel in the tank?  If so, I would remove it until she learns to eat the sinking food.  It will be easier for her to notice in a barebottom tank.

She is currently in QT but that is barebottom, I'm sure she'll soon realise where the food is!

I feed my fish of all sizes the same food for the reason noted above... Smaller food is more easily digested.