Sign in to follow this  
newfishie

!

19 posts in this topic

So I went on a holiday to bintan for 3 days, and just got back today. I had entrusted a friend on taking care of my fish, and said to JUST FEED THEM THIS MUCH. DO NOT MESS WITH ANYTHING ELSE. DO YOU PROMISE? They promised. But today I came back and saw:

My fish, barely alive and gasping for air in filthy,dark,aerationless tanks with rotten food floating everywhere and water that was actually warm to touch. :( I turned the power in the tanks back on and immediatly did a siphoning and a 50% water change, and put in some fish prevention medicine. I called my friend, but all I got was an automated voice saying that they had gone to switzerland. :angry:

Now I'm thanking god I found the fish alive, and that I didn't stay in bintan any longer.

Poor things, I hope they survive this experience. :(

AGH! I would be so mad too! That is really low! :wall

Well I hope your fishies all make it!!! Did the power go out in your house, or did your friend actually turn off everything in the tank?? :thud

Anyway, good luck with everything!

looks like he overfed your fish before leaving himself. they can go a few days without food anyway and id invest in a few battery powered auto feeders, if one fails, you have backup. autofeeders can feed for 2 weeks fine. also give it some plants to nibble on. plants and autofeeder can last your fish like 3 weeks. they can go 3 weeks without a water change too because they wont eat very much for those 3 weeks. when you return they will be very skinny and hungry. feed them alot then change half the water.

Wow, that happened to me too. I was gone for 2 weeks and when I came back my friend had used 4 months worth of fish food! My tank crashed and one fish died. Boo Hoo

I'm so sorry about your poor fish. Thanks god you didn't stay away any longer!

What a rotten friend! :angry:

Whenever I am entrusting a friend ( no matter how experienced they are!) I always divy up the food I want fed to each tank in a pill minder. The ones with a separate little compartment for each day. I put one day's worth of food in each day compartment and set the pill minder on top of the tank that it is meant for. That way my "helper" has only to open one day's food allotment and empty it into the tank.

This allows me to vary the diet - pellets one day, spirilana flakes the next, krill the next, etc. There are no instructions to get wrong and no overfeeding. I hide all the containers of food.

:( That is really terrible! Like Lovely said, the friend must have just dumped a bunch of food in and then went out of town. I am so sorry to hear what happened.

*big sigh*

Daryl, that is smart about the baggies.

I recently had good luck with someone else feeding my fish--my son's girlfriend--she paid attention when I showed her how much to feed. I was a bit worried while I was gone but everything was fine. It was only two days.

I hope your fish recover.

I agree that the best way to have a friend feed the fish is to make up little packages of food with only one days worth in each package, then hide the rest.

Good luck.

Only one fish died, Ick. He was a bit of a weakling anyway. But it's still very sad. :(

EDIT: Another friend of mine had been in my house feeding fish. They said the my other friend gave them the key and told them to feed the fish. They said that when they left, they turned the power off because they thought I would be mad for them wasting all the power on fish.

What a wild goose chase. Poor, poor Ick. Let me go update my signature and bury him. :'(

Edited by newfishie

Guest Ceridwen

If you thought leaving the power on for the fish would be "wasting it" then why would you have bothered going through the trouble of getting someone to feed them while you were gone? /sigh

That sucks, I would just leave them with some plants the next time you go out of town for a bit, unless you can find a friend who is more trustworthy. I would have killed them just for giving my key to anyone else.

They said that when they left, they turned the power off because they thought I would be mad for them wasting all the power on fish.

Huh??!!!! That is the strangest logic I have ever heard of! :hmm

I hope you had a strong word with both of those friends!

Poor Ick. I'm really really sorry you lost him. :(

Edited by emmahj

I entrusted my brother to help me out for just a 4 day weekend. When I came back, there were tons of uneaten food pellets in the gravel, the water was soooo foggy I couldn't see my fish. He had left the lights on for the entire 4 days. I was mad, but my brother didn't know any better. I just assumed he knew what to do since he saw me doing it daily.

:(

They turned your power off??? I would be so mad!!! I think your friend owes you a big time apology.

Aqua

So sorry to hear about Ick. This has been a good reminder to all of us to be very thorough when instructing people about the care of our fish when we are away.

That is awful. Im so sorry you had to go through it. Just a word of advice, fish can go a very long time without food. If youre going away for about a week, they will be just fine. You would be best to do a water change before you go, feed them, and then just let them go without food for that whole time. You dont even need to turn on the lights, just leave one windowshade open somewhere so they get a little light. Then feed them again and do another water change when you get back.

I went to Europe for about two weeks one summer and had some friends feed Right? every few days and she was just fine with that. I have found though that most people will overfeed fish. It is always best to portion out the food first.

Awww I am sorry about Ick.

When I leave I entrust hubby, who is a non fish person.

I show him and then I print off instructions from the computer on exactly how much to feed them etc.

I was worried but came back to all my fish looking better than when I had left them....whew!

Jessica

yah i had a hude problem wen i went away it was four 2 weeks with a newly cycled tank. i was soo scared and wen i came back my water was BROWN they would forget to feed them one day so would put huge huge amounts to make up for it and i also had the dumb idea tellling them they could put fresh veggies in there well wen i got back i found a rotting carrot(full) in the tank bits of wut i think was banana. arrrg illl never let some one take care of my fish again. i bought an auto matic feeder and am gunna put some plants in there and they should do way better then if i intrust a non fish person.

Here's what you should do.......

Next time your "friend" goes out of town, go to THEIR house, unplug their refridgerator, and open it. Leave it that way.

When they come home, they'll call you up and rip you one really good. They'll probably say "how can you be so stupid?!". Tell them "I didn't think you'd want to waste your electricity". Maybe then they'll realize how dumb it was to turn your tank off and risk the lives of living things! :lol

Erika