Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldfishMaiden

Can goldfish has issues because of this?

I have a friend who's fish only ever went upside down when she slept at night. Unfortunately it has got worse, and she's now getting floaty during the day too. I guess it's just one of those things, though I do think it's a good idea to gradually go through different foods and see if any of them result in any kind of improvement

Thank you I am going to try the Agar Agar homemade gel food and maybe just some plain veggies and some southern delight pellets. and see what works I don't want him to get worse. Do you know what s wrong with her fish? Is it a swim bladder issue

When a goldfish goes upside-down, that's what it usually is: A problem with the fish's swim bladder. Unfortunately, there is not really a fix for it in most cases. Finding the right food can slow the deterioration down, but when a fish's swim bladder is damaged it eventually gets worse. I hope that trying different foods will help so that the fish can live a happy life right-side-up for a while longer for you.

Edited by ChelseaM

When a fish flips it's typically because one lone of the swim bladder is malformed/has collapsed/is absent. When a fish flips it more likely the caudal lobe than the dorsal (but again depending on how it could be either). Could you get a video? Unfortunately in these situations management is key to reduce further stress or damage to the swim bladder. I've had a fish that flips and spins for almost three years now and with management it hasn't gotten worse and he lives a pretty good life.

If it was a swim bladder issue wouldn't it effect his whole life not just at night? he only dose his at night when his lights are turned off. During the day he is completely fine. If it was a swim bladder it wouldn't just happen at night would it?

Yes, there is a possibility it would occur only at night. Cat explained this very well in your newest thread:

At night they try to resist movement and rest in one spot above the substrate, only keeping their balance in one area of the tank during rest.
Since your fish is already floaty, at night he relaxes his movements instinctively and his body flips him over.  :idont

Your fish is moving around all day long. His body relaxes at night. During the day, he is constantly trying to keep his balance and therefore you don't see the problems. At night, the fish just relaxes in order to sleep, therefore is no longer working to keep his balance and he flips over.

I know it is difficult to find that a fish has something wrong that we can't just 'fix' right away. However, like MK and I said, this type of issue can be managed to keep it from getting worse. 

Edited by ChelseaM

Yes, there is a possibility it would occur only at night. Cat explained this very well in your newest thread:

At night they try to resist movement and rest in one spot above the substrate, only keeping their balance in one area of the tank during rest.

Since your fish is already floaty, at night he relaxes his movements instinctively and his body flips him over.  :idont

Your fish is moving around all day long. His body relaxes at night. During the day, he is constantly trying to keep his balance and therefore you don't see the problems. At night, the fish just relaxes in order to sleep, therefore is no longer working to keep his balance and he flips over.

I know it is difficult to find that a fish has something wrong that we can't just 'fix' right away. However, like MK and I said, this type of issue can be managed to keep it from getting worse. 

Well how can I manage it?

Since your fish is already floaty, at night he relaxes his movements instinctively and his body flips him over. :idont

Well how can I manage it?

We already explained that. You need to find a good food that will keep the symptoms at bay. Right now, your current food isn't helping the issue. This is why it was suggested to try different kinds to figure out what makes the fish floaty.