Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldfishMaiden

Can goldfish has issues because of this?

Okay so for a while now I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with my goldfish Neo. He floats upside down but only at night I spoke to a girl who has th same problem as me and she took her fish to the vet and they didn't know what was wrong. So I experimented today with him. Here is how it went.

Woke up this morning to see a healthy happy swimming right side fish

2 hours went bye and I feed him Repashy soilent green/super green mixer only 2 small pieces.

Came back an hour or so later I caught him upside down on the bottom of the tank.

He has been off and on like this since I have feed him the gel food this morning around 9o'clock

I want to say it has something to do with the fish food? 

Yes, food can give goldfish issues with their swim bladders. 

Try fasting for 3 days, then feeding ONLY the Super Green for 3 days and see what happens. Don't mix it with the soilent green, or give him anything else to eat. 

Then fast for 3 more days, and do the same with ONLY the Soilent Green.

This will help us determine which food is causing the problem, or if it's both.  

Try fasting for 3 days, then feeding ONLY the Super Green for 3 days and see what happens. Don't mix it with the soilent green, or give him anything else to eat. 

When I bought the gel food I mixed them together. My fish that i had before him Liked it better that way. :(

That can make things difficult. :( Is there a way you may be able to get a hold of some different food to test with, then? We do need to figure out if it is the food that is doing it, and which food.

That can make things difficult. :( Is there a way you may be able to get a hold of some different food to test with, then? We do need to figure out if it is the food that is doing it, and which food.

Yes it is very difficult. :( I do have some Pellet Foods Southern Delight. I also want to make a gel food agar agar based but I don't have all the supplies to make it yet.  I thought I figured it out but know I have more questions than ever. :( I really want my fish to get better. 

I will try to add a video to show you what he dose at night.

I don't know about this suggestion.

Sometimes Repashy can make a fish floaty too.

Might be better to fast for a few days and then peeled peas instead of the gel food.

Might be better to fast for a few days and then peeled peas instead of the gel food.

I have tried that over and over. :( I could try it again though

Edited by GoldfishMaiden

If the fish is not floating after a lite feeding of the peas for a day or two, I'd start experimenting with one type of food at a time (again lite feeding) and see what agrees with your fish.

Good luck.

If the fish is not floating after a lite feeding of the peas for a day or two, I'd start experimenting with one type of food at a time (again lite feeding) and see what agrees with your fish.

Good luck.

He floats with and without food though

My biggest idea behind this suggestion is the difference between Super and Soilent Green foods. Soilent has been known to make fish float, whereas Super is not known for that.

Good luck.

Does he float when you fast, even when you don't feed at all?

Edited by ChelseaM

I have tried that over and over. :( I could try it again though

If it is food related, it is going to be a hit and miss to see what works with your fish.

There is also home made gel food you could make like in this link:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/97760-share-your-gel-food-recipes-for-floaters/

My biggest idea behind this suggestion is the difference between Super and Soilent Green foods. Soilent has been known to make fish float, whereas Super is not known for that.

Good luck.

He floats no matter what I do fast or not he is always upside down at night. When I first got him he never did this.  Agar agar is suppose to help floaters right? So if I make the gel food with that will it help or no?

So let's get this straight:

Food = floating.

no food for several days =  floating

He is upside down at night. (Does he do this during the day?)

Good luck.

...because of the low protein right?

I have used both on two chronic floaters and the soilent had better results.

I guess it is pretty much what works for the individual fish.

That's why I was suggesting peas first, then take it from there.

Food = floating.

Correct 

He dose not do it during the day at all he swims around and is a happy healthy looking fish. The woman I spoke to took her fish to her local vet and they couldn't find out what was wrong with her fish either. Her fish dose the some thing as mine.

Food = floating.

Correct 

He dose not do it during the day at all he swims around and is a happy healthy looking fish. The woman I spoke to took her fish to her local vet and they couldn't find out what was wrong with her fish either. Her fish dose the some thing as mine.

When he stops swimming, does he look tippy?

I'm not entirely sure. I have just seen more instances of this. But hey, what works for the goose... 

Food = floating.

Correct 

When he stops swimming, does he look tippy?

I'm not entirely sure. I have just seen more instances of this. But hey, what works for the goose... 

He doesn't look tippys at all he looks perfectly healthy during the day.

Does he ever rest during the day?

Does he ever rest during the day?

Yeah ever once in a hour he will just sit there for a few mins but he never tips up or anything. I want to say that maybe its just what he dose.

I am not sure I would say that. It doesn't look like a healthy thing for him to be doing.

I am not sure I would say that. It doesn't look like a healthy thing for him to be doing.

It doesn't look like that healthy to sleep, but people sleep in funny ways maybe he dose too I guess.

It doesn't look like that healthy to sleep, but people sleep in funny ways maybe he dose too I guess.

To me this looks like an issue with his swim bladder. I have no fish who sleep this way, and don't know of any that do that don't have this issue. 

In your first post, you said an hour after feeding him in the morning he was floaty like this, but a bit ago you said he doesn't get floaty during the day. So I am a bit confused.

To me this looks like an issue with his swim bladder. I have no fish who sleep this way, and don't know of any that do that don't have this issue. 

In your first post, you said an hour after feeding him in the morning he was floaty like this, but a bit ago you said he doesn't get floaty during the day. So I am a bit confused.

Most of the time he doesn't  during the day when I feed him. But today I seen him upside down for just a few minutes and then he was alright I watched him all day and he was fine just that hour after he went upside down for a few minutes then he was perfectly okay till the night time. Sorry for the confusion.

I have a friend who's fish only ever went upside down when she slept at night. Unfortunately it has got worse, and she's now getting floaty during the day too. I guess it's just one of those things, though I do think it's a good idea to gradually go through different foods and see if any of them result in any kind of improvement