Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Reds12

Larger fry eating smaller fry?

Is this normal?  Does it mean I'm not feeding them enough, or do they do this anyways?

Hi reds12 and welcome to the world of fish breeding. Yes is very normal and fresh brother is an excellent food too if they are too slow.

I breed telescope where the pop eyes also can become targets.

I've never raised fry before but I'd think that if you don't want this to happen you can separate them. I guess this is a natural way to not have as many also. I don't know!

I have had this happen as well. It happens less if you make sure they're full relatively constantly. The easiest way to do this is to provide a source of food all the time, like having floating plants in the tank so the fish can nibble on the microbugs and roots.

I have had this happen as well. It happens less if you make sure they're full relatively constantly. The easiest way to do this is to provide a source of food all the time, like having floating plants in the tank so the fish can nibble on the microbugs and roots.

They're pond babies so they have LOTS of plants to munch on, complete with water critters. :)   I was just kind of shocked when watching them and BAM, one gulped down another. O.O

Yeah. It occasionally happens. :( Is the pond just them, then? Maybe all the stimulation has them in "predator+prey" mode

No, I have them separated out into a 20 gallon container.