Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
commongoldfish

Tumor or Bacterial Growth?

Basically, I need to know how to differenciate between the two. I have a fish that has been with me for about a year, and in the past month or so I have noticed a small growth on his face that started as a nub and is now a large white lump sort of hanging off of his face. In a week the mass has tripled in size and I'm worried about whether I should remove it or not. Will it pop eventually? Is it a tumor? How can I tell? (I would post a picture but I can't figure out how, so if anyone wants to tell me how to do that, seeing the problem will be a little easier. Ive never used the forum before, as you can tell.)

Thank you for any info.

You can upload the image from your computer or phone to imgur.com and then paste the BBCode here.

I know there are a few mods who may be able to help you determine or at least speculate.

CX60OYs.jpg

So this is his zit/tumor growth thing. This picture was taken a week ago and by now the growth is almost twice that size.

Edited by commongoldfish

:hi You have a beautiful fish!

I've consulted with the moderator team. It looks to be a cyst--shape, coloring and growth rate appear to indicate this. Keep the water as clean as possible and observe for now. When it pops, change the water immediately to remove any of the debris. Let us know how it goes.

By filling out the D&D form (below my signature), we will know more about your fish and set-up and can provide further guidance should you need it.

Edited by LisaCGold

Your fish is gorgeous!! :thud

Once it pops it should begin to heal and fade away. If it pops and the spot turns red, swells or ulcerates, then let us know.

Hi There!  Pending everything else is good with Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate....Be sure to check your PH, KH and GH readings as a way to prevent this from happening again. 

I had this very same issue with large white puss-filled bacterial cysts on my goldfish (also coincidentally after having them about a year with excellent maintenance & water quality.  It was perplexing).  My water was quite soft (out of the faucet.)  After doing some research I learned that softer, more neutral water with lower calcium levels could contribute to goldfish being more susceptible to bacterial diseases.

In another tank- I also keep Mbuna African Cichlids that need highly buffered (KH) /hard (GH) water.  Now- I use those same water treatments/GH/KH levels for my goldfish- and have not run in to this problem again as a result.  We're always told everywhere that Goldfish are easy and that that KH and GH are secondary readings for these types of fish- but I believe they are very important to long term better health.

I've learned the hard way of bypassing the importance of KH and GH- as they do have a direct (but not immediate) effect on long term health of goldfish.  These long term readings can get overlooked as we get new tanks started and get ammonia and nitrite under control.

Here is one of my sources:

http://www.goldfish-emergency.com/articles.php?article_id=71

Hi There!  Pending everything else is good with Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate....Be sure to check your PH, KH and GH readings as a way to prevent this from happening again. 

I had this very same issue with large white puss-filled bacterial cysts on my goldfish (also coincidentally after having them about a year with excellent maintenance & water quality.  It was perplexing).  My water was quite soft (out of the faucet.)  After doing some research I learned that softer, more neutral water with lower calcium levels could contribute to goldfish being more susceptible to bacterial diseases.

In another tank- I also keep Mbuna African Cichlids that need highly buffered (KH) /hard (GH) water.  Now- I use those same water treatments/GH/KH levels for my goldfish- and have not run in to this problem again as a result.  We're always told everywhere that Goldfish are easy and that that KH and GH are secondary readings for these types of fish- but I believe they are very important to long term better health.

I've learned the hard way of bypassing the importance of KH and GH- as they do have a direct (but not immediate) effect on long term health of goldfish.  These long term readings can get overlooked as we get new tanks started and get ammonia and nitrite under control.

Here is one of my sources:

http://www.goldfish-emergency.com/articles.php?article_id=71

This is great information. Thanks!