Kokos Goldfish Forum

I want to make gel food and in a blog i seen on here they used Agar Agar powder I don't know what that is exactly I have heard it helps with floaty fish but Im not sure how much that is true could anyone of the goldfish comminty help me with getting more knowledge on this Agar Agar powder? Please. I really do need help I want to make my own gel food and I sorts know how but not completely.

Agar is a polymer found in the cell walls of various species of algae that when cooked with water, mimics the texture of gelatin. Unlike gelatin, it is "vegan" as it comes entirely from the algae, but can be used for the same purposes.

Hi GoldfishMaiden,  

Agar agar is made from red algae and it works just like gelatin, only a little better.

All you do is boil your water saved from cooking the veggies, stir in the powder and cook for about 5 minutes. You can then mix it with whatever ingredients you want to turn into goldfish gel-food, and then let it sit until it’s firm. You can vary the amount of agar agar for a looser or firmer set. The instructions are often on the packaging as well.

Agar Agar can be found at stores that specialize in healthy bulk foods (Like Whole Foods if there is one near you) or your local Asia specialty store might have it.It is expensive: about $3-$4 per ounce. But you'll only need a tablespoon to set a pound of gel-food. If you do an Internet image search for agar agar, you'll see plenty photos of it in packaging that will help you find it in a store. 

Edited by mysterygirl

Also, if you can only find it in strings or the "block" type (I don't know what they call that) and you have a good blender or food processor you can make those both into powder and it works great. I did that when I could only find it in those ways.

Now I can get it at my local health food store in powder form :nana

And it seriously is the most helpful thing for floaters. My little lady does well on homemade gel although it's been awhile since I made some :peeka

I want to thank all of you for giving me this information. My goldfish Neo is a floater and really dose need this. And now that I have the information I know how to use it and why I need to use it. Thanks so much Everyone!!!