Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldfishMaiden

Goldfish Gel foods?

I have been looking for a gel food recipe to feed my goldfish any suggestion on what I should put in it that you can find at any grocery store?

There are several recipes available in the 'goldfish food' section of the forum. If you would like to feed exclusively homemade gel, I recommend the recipe for floaters that Alex made, which is available in that section as a pinned topic. 

Another, simpler way to make gel food is to buy a premade powder. New Life Spectrum has a gel food called AlgaeGel, which can be fed in conjunction with frozen bloodworms for a complete diet. Repashy makes a variety of gel powders, my favorite of which is Super Green. That also should be fed in conjunction with a protein like frozen bloodworms to make a complete diet. 

I just received the NLS AlgaeGel and the NutriGel - does anyone recommend mixing both together? or keep them separated?

I just received the NLS AlgaeGel and the NutriGel - does anyone recommend mixing both together? or keep them separated?

I would keep them separated, and feed a smaller amount of nutri gel compared to the Algae Gel.

I would keep them separated, and feed a smaller amount of nutri gel compared to the Algae Gel.

Is the NLS AlgaeGel good for goldfish? I have been trying to find different gel foods and pellet foods to feed my goldfish

For my last batch I was out of the gel-based food Repashy, so just used extra agar agar and it held together well.

Here is a link to my gel-food blog, it lists several different ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store.

For my last batch I was out of the gel-based food Repashy, so just used extra agar agar and it held together well.

Here is a link to my gel-food blog, it lists several different ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store.

Thank you so much your blog post really opened my mind to make a better gel food. I us to make my own but I thought it was never enough but now I know I can out in more stuff for my little guy to eat. Thanks so much

Thank you so much your blog post really opened my mind to make a better gel food. I us to make my own but I thought it was never enough but now I know I can out in more stuff for my little guy to eat. Thanks so much.

And thank you for the encouraging feedback. Good luck with your first batch and don't hesitate to ask questions. I only started doing it a year ago so I'm still exploring too.

Thank you so much your blog post really opened my mind to make a better gel food. I us to make my own but I thought it was never enough but now I know I can out in more stuff for my little guy to eat. Thanks so much.

And thank you for the encouraging feedback. Good luck with your first batch and don't hesitate to ask questions. I only started doing it a year ago so I'm still exploring too.

You are Welcome =)

Is the NLS AlgaeGel good for goldfish? I have been trying to find different gel foods and pellet foods to feed my goldfish

It's one of the best gel foods that I have come across yet. The first six ingredients are different types of algae and seaweed, meaning that that's most of what the gel is made of. The gelling agent is Agar, which is also made from seaweed. The only thing I find it lacking is animal protein, so I add a feed of some kind like a high-protein Repashy gel or Frozen Bloodworms to the diet for that, and otherwise feed the gel daily as my staple.