Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mickeyrom

A few questions from me, a newbie with Goldfish.

It is overwhelming for sure!  :hug

I think a one day fast every once in a while is a good thing.  I probably do that a couple times a month.  Well my fish do, not me.  :rofl3

I agree.   Finish the 2 week treatment.  A gradual reduction is salt is fine too.  As long as the temp decreases relatively slowly (say a degree or two an hour) that should not be a problem.  68* for GF is fine.  :D  They are tough.  :flex:  

It is overwhelming for sure!   :hug

I think a one day fast every once in a while is a good thing.  I probably do that a couple times a month.  Well my fish do, not me.   :rofl3

I agree.   Finish the 2 week treatment.  A gradual reduction is salt is fine too.  As long as the temp decreases relatively slowly (say a degree or two an hour) that should not be a problem.  68* for GF is fine.   :D  They are tough.   :flex:

I'm afraid that me learning and comprehending the art of keeping Goldfish, is comparable to me teaching you how to play jazz on a trumpet :(

How do you know I don't play jazz on a trumpet already?  :idont

:tomuch:  OK, I don't.  There is a huge learning curve with GF.  People think they can toss them in a bowl and they will be ok.  Or they think they only live a few weeks because that's the only experience they've had with them.  Honestly, when I started in the hobby 12 years ago, we bought a GF for my then 9 month old daughter, tossed him in a bowl and made every mistake in the book and then some.  He put up with a lot and somehow survived.  He ended up living 7+ years despite horrible care :peeka for the first couple years of his life.  Then I found this place and they set me straight.  :rofl3  

Your fish are lucky to have you.  You're taking excellent care of them.  :D

How do you know I don't play jazz on a trumpet already?   :idont

:tomuch:  OK, I don't.  There is a huge learning curve with GF.  People think they can toss them in a bowl and they will be ok.  Or they think they only live a few weeks because that's the only experience they've had with them.  Honestly, when I started in the hobby 12 years ago, we bought a GF for my then 9 month old daughter, tossed him in a bowl and made every mistake in the book and then some.  He put up with a lot and somehow survived.  He ended up living 7+ years despite horrible care :peeka for the first couple years of his life.  Then I found this place and they set me straight.   :rofl3

Your fish are lucky to have you.  You're taking excellent care of them.   :D

I'm doing what I can, but it will be much more difficult with a larger tank. I have no intention of changing 30-50% of the water at any time. That is just overwhelming! My inteention is that once they are in the 40 gallon tank is to change one or two gallons every day. I would also vaccuum the gravel, how often I have not decided.

At a very reputable fish store in Davenport, the man there suggested that once a month is enough. I will be able to tell by how clean the gravel is or is not.

What I have done in my tropical tanks is once a month I clean the gravel,add one gallon of new water and change the filters. My fish have deaths of course, but very few. They are not overcrowded and not overfed, which is why IMO why they are doing quite well. 8 fish total in three tanks, The biggest is the Betta Splendens.

Edited by mickeyrom

You'll find that GF are much dirtier than tropicals even with just 2 of them in the 40 gallon.  I'd let your nitrates be your guide as far as how much water you change.  You'll want to keep them under 40.  Many of us shoot for under 20.   Do you have nitrate in your tap water?

As far as gravel, I'd get something much too large to fit in their mouth or use sand.  I've seen too many threads "HELP!!  My GF is choking on a piece of gravel!".  :o   I had a bare bottom tank for a long long time and added sand a year or two ago.  It's actually quite easy, easier than gravel IMO.  The sand is so compact you don't get bits and pieces of poo and detritus getting trapped.  I don't vacuum the sand, just run my water changer over the top of it to pick up any poo on the surface.  :D

You'll find that GF are much dirtier than tropicals even with just 2 of them in the 40 gallon.  I'd let your nitrates be your guide as far as how much water you change.  You'll want to keep them under 40.  Many of us shoot for under 20.   Do you have nitrate in your tap water?

As far as gravel, I'd get something much too large to fit in their mouth or use sand.  I've seen too many threads "HELP!!  My GF is choking on a piece of gravel!".   :o   I had a bare bottom tank for a long long time and added sand a year or two ago.  It's actually quite easy, easier than gravel IMO.  The sand is so compact you don't get bits and pieces of poo and detritus getting trapped.  I don't vacuum the sand, just run my water changer over the top of it to pick up any poo on the surface.   :D

I believe that my tap water tested 0 for everything and 73 PH.  Mollies are quite dirty too, but of course smaller.  I am fond of my fish, really I am, but I simply cannot devote my life to them. Maybe if there was somebody here who could help me, hands on, then maybe. Even changing filters is going to be an expense as this Tetra Power Filter uses two large ones. Too late for getting rid of the gravel. There are many schools of thought about that, and I could not please everybody. My wife wanted gravel.

When we bought those three GF we thought that they would do just great in a 10 gallon filtered tank. Boy little did we know.

If your wife wants gravel, then gravel it is.  :teehee

Which Tetra filter do you have?  If it's one that uses cartridges with carbon, I would cut the cartridge open and remove the carbon.  The carbon isn't needed.  That way, you can simply rinse the filter padding on the cartridge and keep using the same cartridge for months and months.  Eventually it won't clean as well and then will need to be replaced.  They probably suggest replacing them monthly but I would rinse them every couple of weeks and replace them every few months as needed.  You could possible replace them with something like this:

http://www.petco.com/product/5539/Marineland-Bonded-Filter-Pads.aspx

You cut it to fit your filter and it's much cheaper than the filter cartridges.  :D

Actually in the past I have rinsed out similar filters and reused them, but why in the world is there charcoal in there if I the fish don't need it?  They CAN be rinsed even with the charcoal still inside.

My filter is an outside the tank one, and designed for tanks 30-60 gallons. It has two large L size fiters.

The charcoal helps clear the water by removing any meds or other impurities.  But with the amount of WCs we do with GF it's not necessary.  And they can be rinsed with the charcoal inside but there is some concern that after 3-4 weeks the charcoal loses it's ability to remove the impurities and starts to leach back into the water.  :idont

The charcoal helps clear the water by removing any meds or other impurities.  But with the amount of WCs we do with GF it's not necessary.  And they can be rinsed with the charcoal inside but there is some concern that after 3-4 weeks the charcoal loses it's ability to remove the impurities and starts to leach back into the water.   :idont

I  get that, but I will not be doing WCs like most if not all of you do. I probably should stick with the charcoal. I guess I'll have to remove the carbon when using the medication you suggested, right?

The charcoal helps clear the water by removing any meds or other impurities.  But with the amount of WCs we do with GF it's not necessary.  And they can be rinsed with the charcoal inside but there is some concern that after 3-4 weeks the charcoal loses it's ability to remove the impurities and starts to leach back into the water.   :idont

I  get that, but I will not be doing WCs like most if not all of you do. I probably should stick with the charcoal. I guess I'll have to remove the carbon when using the medication you suggested, right?

I'm having a hard time with this forum. I want to ask a question, and I have to reply to a post that has nothing to do with my question. My question is this.

I know how to keep my 10 gal at 0.003, but have no idea how to make it 0.001 (salt) I have decided to do the treatment in that tank which would be much more practical. It already is at the 0.003 level. I know warmth is good when a fish is sick, but how do I go from .74-76 to 70 without hurting them? That will be the change when eventually they move into the large tank. The Prazi: How many rounds do I have to do? If it would be easier, you could send me messages on Facebook. My name is Allan Birmantas.

:rofl  Well, I'm not on Facebook so asking here in this thread is the best way to get my attention.  :rofl

I think what you mean is 0.3% (1 TBSP per gallon).  0.1% is 1 teaspoon per gallon.  To get your tank from 0.3% to 0.1%, you could either remove 6 2/3 gallons then replace it with tap water, not adding any salt.  OR remove all the water then when you replace the water add 10 teaspoons of water.  Either method will get you to 0.1% salt (I'm assuming this is in your 10 gallon . . . ).  

Are you removing a heater and that is why/how the temp will drop from mid 70s to 70?  :idont

The number of prazi rounds will depend on how they react.  If you do the first couple of rounds and see essentially no reaction (no bottom sitting, darting, flashing, etc), that means the fluke burden is not very heavy and 2 or 3 rounds will do.  If after the first couple of rounds we're seeing quite a reaction, we will do 4 or more rounds.  We won't exactly know until we start but I would plan on 3, give or take a round.  :D

:hi Allan  Nice to "meet" you.  I'm Lisa.  :lisa:

You don't have to quote to ask your questions, no worries. :teehee

Even if it's not relevant to the post, it just lets the other person know you've quoted them. :nana

:rofl  Well, I'm not on Facebook so asking here in this thread is the best way to get my attention.   :rofl

I think what you mean is 0.3% (1 TBSP per gallon).  0.1% is 1 teaspoon per gallon.  To get your tank from 0.3% to 0.1%, you could either remove 6 2/3 gallons then replace it with tap water, not adding any salt.  OR remove all the water then when you replace the water add 10 teaspoons of water.  Either method will get you to 0.1% salt (I'm assuming this is in your 10 gallon . . . ).  

Are you removing a heater and that is why/how the temp will drop from mid 70s to 70?   :idont

The number of prazi rounds will depend on how they react.  If you do the first couple of rounds and see essentially no reaction (no bottom sitting, darting, flashing, etc), that means the fluke burden is not very heavy and 2 or 3 rounds will do.  If after the first couple of rounds we're seeing quite a reaction, we will do 4 or more rounds.  We won't exactly know until we start but I would plan on 3, give or take a round.   :D

:hi Allan  Nice to "meet" you.  I'm Lisa.   :lisa:

Thank you for sharing your name Lisa, it's better than calling you Fantail. I do have a heater, but eventually in the bigger tank, the heater will be set at a lower temp, likely 70F. I do not have it yet, and the current heater is not adjustable. Why can't I use the 0.3 salinity?

About the reactions, are you saying that all of those bad symptoms will be caused by the Prazi?  The only symptom right now, and it's only with Goldie, is her swimming near the surface and gulping air more than she should. None of the others you mention are evident.

Hi Allan. I'm Jason. Looks like you are having some trouble transitioning to goldfish. At some point you will have to accept the fact that you will be changing a good amount of water or you will have sick and or dead fish. Best of luck to you.

When you set up the 40, I would set it up with water that is 75ish degrees.  Add the fish and the heater and the tank will slowly decrease in temp.

Typically we only use 0.3% salt for about 2 weeks as long as ich doesn't show up.  After that time it can be decreased to 0.1%.  You could leave it at 0.3% if you'd like but then you will need to double dose the prazi.  

Yes, the prazi may cause other symptoms if the fluke load is heavy.  If you're not seeing symptoms already, I wouldn't expect to see a lot of symptoms show up.  

When you set up the 40, I would set it up with water that is 75ish degrees.  Add the fish and the heater and the tank will slowly decrease in temp.

Typically we only use 0.3% salt for about 2 weeks as long as ich doesn't show up.  After that time it can be decreased to 0.1%.  You could leave it at 0.3% if you'd like but then you will need to double dose the prazi.  

Yes, the prazi may cause other symptoms if the fluke load is heavy.  If you're not seeing symptoms already, I wouldn't expect to see a lot of symptoms show up.  

Lisa, I guess I can do as you suggested, and remove 2/3 of the water and replace with unsalted. That would make it 0.1 , right? Making the 40 75F is a bit high, so then I would just unplug the heater after a while? Going from 0.3 to 0.1 will not be a shock?

Hi Allan. I'm Jason. Looks like you are having some trouble transitioning to goldfish. At some point you will have to accept the fact that you will be changing a good amount of water or you will have sick and or dead fish. Best of luck to you.

Jason, you know how to hurt a guy. ;)

Lisa, I guess I can do as you suggested, and remove 2/3 of the water and replace with unsalted. That would make it 0.1 , right? Making the 40 75F is a bit high, so then I would just unplug the heater after a while? Going from 0.3 to 0.1 will not be a shock?

Going from 0.3 to 0.1 will not shock them at all.  

How many watts is your heater?  Do you have a link I could look at or a brand and size?  If it keeps your 10 gallon at 75*, it will probably not be strong enough to keep your 40 at 75*  . . . .  They are preset but only have a certain wattage.  Make sense?  :idont    Without a heater, the tank will stay at about the temp of your house.  If you keep your house upper 60s, I wouldn't bother with a heater.  One less thing to plug in . .. 

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate Lisa. ;)  The heater in the 10 gallon tank will not be moved. OK? The one for the 40 will be adjustable, and I plan on setting it at 70F. It is not here yet, as I ordered through the mail just like the Prazi. It will be rated at 250 wats. So do you concur that replacing 2/3 of the 0.3 water with unsalted water will bring the salt level to 0.1 ?

So in conclusion,when I receive the Prazi, I will remove all charcoal from the filters in the 10 gallon tank, rem ove 2/3 of the water, replace with unsalted water, add the Prazi and until the fifth day do nothing. Then do a 50% water change and do not add Prazi.

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate Lisa.  ;)  The heater in the 10 gallon tank will not be moved. OK? The one for the 40 will be adjustable, and I plan on setting it at 70F. It is not here yet, as I ordered through the mail just like the Prazi. It will be rated at 250 wats.

:doh11:  I didn't realize you had ordered a second heater.  Yes, that makes more sense.  :rofl

So do you concur that replacing 2/3 of the 0.3 water with unsalted water will bring the salt level to 0.1 ?  Yes.

So in conclusion,when I receive the Prazi, I will remove all charcoal from the filters in the 10 gallon tank, rem ove 2/3 of the water, replace with unsalted water, add the Prazi and until the fifth day do nothing. Then do a 50% water change and do not add Prazi.  Yes but you will need to replace the salt to keep it at 0.1%.  If you do a 50% WC, then you will add 5 tsp of salt.  :D

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate Lisa.  ;)  The heater in the 10 gallon tank will not be moved. OK? The one for the 40 will be adjustable, and I plan on setting it at 70F. It is not here yet, as I ordered through the mail just like the Prazi. It will be rated at 250 wats.

:doh11:  I didn't realize you had ordered a second heater.  Yes, that makes more sense.   :rofl

So do you concur that replacing 2/3 of the 0.3 water with unsalted water will bring the salt level to 0.1 ?  Yes.

So in conclusion,when I receive the Prazi, I will remove all charcoal from the filters in the 10 gallon tank, rem ove 2/3 of the water, replace with unsalted water, add the Prazi and until the fifth day do nothing. Then do a 50% water change and do not add Prazi.  Yes but you will need to replace the salt to keep it at 0.1%.  If you do a 50% WC, then you will add 5 tsp of salt.   :D

Yes I understand, but the first 2/3rd of the tank  that I replace, will not have salt. This will be actually the first WC. The nexxt WC will be on the 5th day. On that one 5tsp  salt will be added. Thank you for all your help.

Edited by mickeyrom