Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mickeyrom

A few questions from me, a newbie with Goldfish.

Frozen is always better than dried :)

HBH goldfish bites, Omega one veggie micro pellets.

BTW my wife is attempting to download a video of our tank, again. It will be on youtube. Title: Fancy Tail Goldfish.. named George, Gracie and Blanche. Not there yet. It is downloading incredibly slowly. Carol's videos are under  carolb777

I hope you do not mind, but I went ahead and posted your video here, for you :) Your goldfish are beautiful, those are great picks :D

Thank you Fish of Gold, I appreciate it. I guess my attempt at posting the link was a big failure. My wife recorded this, but as you can probably tell a couple of those fish are not feeling very well.

Thank you Fish of Gold, I appreciate it. I guess my attempt at posting the link was a big failure. My wife recorded this, but as you can probably tell a couple of those fish are not feeling very well.

You are Welcome :)

Was your log decoration broken and then repaired? It looked that way to me in the video. If so, what did you use to fix it? Maybe the substance you used wasn't aquarium safe and is possibly leaching some chemicals into the water making the fish feel sick? :idont  Just a guess.

Edited by Fish Of Gold

I noticed that too, but that is how it came from the store. Anyway one of the three fish seems 100% happy and healthy. The Gold one and the biggest one, the multi colored, not so much :(

Edited by mickeyrom

I noticed that too, but that is how it came from the store. Anyway one of the three fish seems 100% happy and healthy. The Gold one and the biggest one, the multi colored, not so much :(

I'm not sure why your calico goldfish is clamped up. Something sure is bothering it not making it feel well. :( Are you treating them with medications? Is there a filter cartridge in that corner filter with carbon in it? If there is carbon in there and you are adding medicines it will absorb the medicine making the medicines non effective.

Just wondered about the log because the repair line looks white like regular caulk and not aquarium sealant silicone which is usually clear. I hope it isn't like bathroom caulk which has mold inhibiters in it that is toxic to fish.  When did you buy it? Did you use it for other fish before the goldfish? Maybe ask the store where you bought it and ask what they used?

I bought it at Walmart some 5 years ago, or even more. I noticed the white line too, just since it has been in this tank. I honestly don't remember it's history. I do know that I have not used it for years. I am not using any medicine in the tank, except for salt. I doubt that anybody at WM would remember what was used. I removed it.

It feels very strong, I could not break it. Would caulk be that hard? Of course I would rather throw it away, than endanger our fish. I do remember that it cost over $20 and that is a lot IMO. I have a feeling that this could have maybe broken at the manufacturer, maybe when somebody dropped it during packing.Anyway, it's gone now.

Now that I have decided to feed every other day, I am looking for suggestions about how much to feed on those feeding days. HBH bites is the food I am using right now.

Now that the tank is all set up, I have to wait a few more days before I discontinue the salt treatment. Two weeks ends on Monday. What is the best way of desalting the existing tank? I am planning to change one gallon per day. Is that not enough or is it too much? How long should I do this before transfering the fish to the 40 gallon tank. My last question for the day, and I know I have asked many....how many pellets per fish should I feed. The no more than they eat in 3 minutes does not compute. I would like to be able to count them. They have begun eating veggies, so that is good. Do I have to limit that at all?

BTW my wife insisted on gravel, so despite on my misgivings, we have black gravel on the bottom of our tank. I am buying a aheater to keep the temperature constant at 70F.  Would 68F be better? (I lied about that being the last question.. :)  )

P.S. Once the Goldfish have moved out of the 10 gallon tank, we have decided to give that tank to our Betta. He should enjoy the space in his new home.

Edited by mickeyrom

Just take the fish out of the current tank and put them in the 40 gallon.  They are not bothered by the absence of salt.

Feed them a mouthful.  When the mouth is full, the fish will stop gobbling pellets and just chew.  That's enough for one feeding.  You just count the number of pellets it takes to get all of the fish chewing.  Young fish should be fed multiple times a day.

Big kids need more food than little ones, so after a few weeks, you will find that they keep looking for more food after they have finished off what is a mouthful now.  Count how many additional pellets it takes to fill their mouths and adjust your feeding accordingly.

The lower the temperature you set your heater at the better.

Just take the fish out of the current tank and put them in the 40 gallon.  They are not bothered by the absence of salt.

Feed them a mouthful.  When the mouth is full, the fish will stop gobbling pellets and just chew.  That's enough for one feeding.  You just count the number of pellets it takes to get all of the fish chewing.  Young fish should be fed multiple times a day.

Big kids need more food than little ones, so after a few weeks, you will find that they keep looking for more food after they have finished off what is a mouthful now.  Count how many additional pellets it takes to fill their mouths and adjust your feeding accordingly.

The lower the temperature you set your heater at the better.

I was told the treatmnt should be two weeks, at least. On monday it will be two weeks. I was also told, on this forum, that it was bad to go from salty to fresh quickly, so that it has to b a slow procss. 

So 70F is not good? It feels pretty cold to me.

Edited by mickeyrom

70* is fine. :)

How much salt is in the tank and are you treating for something specific or routine/QT?

70* is fine. :)

How much salt is in the tank and are you treating for something specific or routine/QT?

We bought three fish and only one turned out to be healthy, so salt seemed the best option and after one died, the other  not so healthy one seems better. Mostly ,his fins being clamped were the symptoms. The fins are good now, but I still worry about him/her, because it seems to spend more time near the surface than the other remaining fishie.

It's supposed to be 0.03 I think. I add 1 TBS per gallon when changing water.

Edited by mickeyrom

I would suggest doing a few rounds of prazi along with 0.1% salt ( 1 tsp per gallon).  You can do this in the 10 gallon or in the 40 gallon whichever you prefer.  It will not affect your cycle.  You can easily move them from 0.3% to 0.1% without any "steps" in between.  :D

Let us know if you're interested in the prazi/salt treatment and we can help you out.  

I would suggest doing a few rounds of prazi along with 0.1% salt ( 1 tsp per gallon).  You can do this in the 10 gallon or in the 40 gallon whichever you prefer.  It will not affect your cycle.  You can easily move them from 0.3% to 0.1% without any "steps" in between.   :D

Let us know if you're interested in the prazi/salt treatment and we can help you out.  

First of all, the plan is to stop the treatment soon. Starting next Monday, I will start diluting the salty witer at the rate of one gallon per day. Starting a week later, they will be in a salt free tank, the 40 gallon one. I don't know anything about the prazi. What exactly is it?

Once you're done with the 2 weeks of salt at 0.3%, I'd do the prazi with the 0.1% salt.  You can do that in either tank.

Praziquantel treats for flukes (a parasite) which essentially all GF have unless proven otherwise.  And the only way to prove it is to look at a slide of their slime coat under a microscope . . .  Prazi is very gentle on the fish and acts on the flukes only.  The salt is to help the GF heal as the flukes die off and leave tiny microscopic abrasions where the flukes were attached.  Hanging out near the surface can be one sign of flukes along with flashing, darting, "yawning", gulping air, bottom sitting, etc.

Honestly you can move them from 0.3% salt directly to 0.1% salt without an issue.  If you want to take it down so slowly as you stated above that's fine but it's not necessary.

Once you're done with the 2 weeks of salt at 0.3%, I'd do the prazi with the 0.1% salt.  You can do that in either tank.

Praziquantel treats for flukes (a parasite) which essentially all GF have unless proven otherwise.  And the only way to prove it is to look at a slide of their slime coat under a microscope . . .  Prazi is very gentle on the fish and acts on the flukes only.  The salt is to help the GF heal as the flukes die off and leave tiny microscopic abrasions where the flukes were attached.  Hanging out near the surface can be one sign of flukes along with flashing, darting, "yawning", gulping air, bottom sitting, etc.

Honestly you can move them from 0.3% salt directly to 0.1% salt without an issue.  If you want to take it down so slowly as you stated above that's fine but it's not necessary.

How long is the treatment necessary with prazi?  I had no intention of using salt at any level in the new tank, at least not until it was necessary. Where can I get it?

Goldie, has not exhibited any of the symptoms you mentioned other than swimming at the top of the water, and that is not all the time, just more than the other fish.

Why no salt in the new tank?  It's easily removed with WCs.  :idont

Oftentimes if you wait for the symptoms of flukes to appear, it is because the flukes have heavily infested the fish.  It can still be treated but often leads to secondary bacterial infection . . .   If you'd rather not treat with prazi, that's an option.  It's something that I (and many other members) do routinely with any new fish. 

Prazi can be found online at amazon.com 

http://www.amazon.com/Hikari-Usa-AHK73254-Prazipro-Aquarium/dp/B004LOBGYA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425610404&sr=8-1&keywords=prazi+pro

If you have a lfs (not a big box/chain pet store), they may carry it.  :D

From my description, do you think it is flukes. Why would I want any salt in my new tank except for medicinal purposes, and   after all goldfish are fresh water fish. Do you use this stuff as a routine precaution? As I am very new to goldfish, I am trying to learn.

Edited by mickeyrom

Like I said, I think all GF have flukes.  The symptoms you are seeing may be flukes, it may not be.  But waiting til you see more symptoms would probably make the treatment more difficult on the fish.

The salt in your tank, along with the prazi, would be for medicinal purposes.  I don't think you should salt your tank all the time.  Just during the prazi treatment.  I do prazi and salt with all new fish and then routinely treat with prazi only about once every 3-4 months.  Even when you treat with prazi, it's nearly impossible to eliminate flukes.  Our goal is to keep the population low enough that it isn't compromising the health of our fish.  :D

Ask away.  That's what we're here for.  :)

Like I said, I think all GF have flukes.  The symptoms you are seeing may be flukes, it may not be.  But waiting til you see more symptoms would probably make the treatment more difficult on the fish.

The salt in your tank, along with the prazi, would be for medicinal purposes.  I don't think you should salt your tank all the time.  Just during the prazi treatment.  I do prazi and salt with all new fish and then routinely treat with prazi only about once every 3-4 months.  Even when you treat with prazi, it's nearly impossible to eliminate flukes.  Our goal is to keep the population low enough that it isn't compromising the health of our fish.   :D

Ask away.  That's what we're here for.   :)

I have to tell you that your puppy is adorable! Now the questions. Do you have to have salty water in order to use this med? When you use it routinelly, how long do you use it, and do you have to isolate the fish being treated?   BTW, I have ordered some Prazi.

Thanks for the compliment on my dog!!  I love her to bits.  :wub:

When you initially treat with prazi, it's highly recommended you use salt.  The salt is there to help heal any small wounds left behind as the flukes die, "lose their grip" on the fish, and fall off.  After the initial treatment (I typically do 3-4 rounds), when I use it routinely, I add it after my weekly WC, leaving all the fish in the tank (but I remove my nerite snails as they often don't do well with prazi).  I do not use salt when I do the routine rounds as the fluke load should not be very large, so not many wounds to heal.  :D

Let us know when the prazi arrives and we will help you set up a schedule.  :)

Thanks for the compliment on my dog!!  I love her to bits.   :wub:

When you initially treat with prazi, it's highly recommended you use salt.  The salt is there to help heal any small wounds left behind as the flukes die, "lose their grip" on the fish, and fall off.  After the initial treatment (I typically do 3-4 rounds), when I use it routinely, I add it after my weekly WC, leaving all the fish in the tank (but I remove my nerite snails as they often don't do well with prazi).  I do not use salt when I do the routine rounds as the fluke load should not be very large, so not many wounds to heal.   :D

Let us know when the prazi arrives and we will help you set up a schedule.   :)

It should arrive between 13-15 of this month, of course. The fish will still be in the 10 gallon tank. What the salt strength will be I don't know, because starting Tuesday I will be changing a gallon of clear water per day. I have no way to know what that means to the percentage. Goldie seems to spend less time near the surface. I am feeding more veggies than commercial food. Peas, Cukes and spinach. heated tank, approx 74F. I can't control that because the temp. is preset. I am waiting for an adjustable heater right now. I will keep the big tank at 70F. You mentioned that 0.01 would be OK in the new tank. So that is 40 tsp, or 13 TBS and change. Is that what I should do?

If you're planning on treating with prazi in the 40, then yes, 40 tsp or about 13 TBSP will get you to 0.1%.  Do you know when you're going to move them to the 40?  :idont  You can move them over even if you don't have the prazi yet and just let them be salt and prazi free while you wait for it if you'd like.  :D

Veggies are fine but they don't provide all the nutrition they need.  I'd add a commercial pellet and some frozen foods such as blood worms.  They need a good variety.  

If you're planning on treating with prazi in the 40, then yes, 40 tsp or about 13 TBSP will get you to 0.1%.  Do you know when you're going to move them to the 40?   :idont  You can move them over even if you don't have the prazi yet and just let them be salt and prazi free while you wait for it if you'd like.   :D

Veggies are fine but they don't provide all the nutrition they need.  I'd add a commercial pellet and some frozen foods such as blood worms.  They need a good variety.  

First of all, I want to complete the 2 week treatment as I was advised to. Then I want a very gradual desalinazation. I am a bit concerned with the temperature change without the heater in the new tank.It would be 74 to 68. I am not used to all of this Fan....Honestly had I known, I would have stuck to tropicals. Now I am comitted, so I will do what I can, while keeping it practical. Tomorrow, I will give them some pellets, and veggies. I have no access to frozen foods.  Maybe an one  day fast is in order. Do you believe in that?