Kokos Goldfish Forum
mickeyrom

Hello from me.

My real name is Allan, but mickeyrom is what you will see on my posts. It's a funny ,or odd story how I came to this board. We have had a few tropical fish for a long time, but my wife wanted some fancy goldfish. Walmart has them and in Kewanee, where we live, it's the main store for almost everything. We got three of them, and we put them into a 10 gallon tank. You can guess the rest, right? Too small!!!!!!!!!

We are now in the process of getting a 40 gal tank, or maybe even a larger one. The problem is that we have little space for such a project. We are working on this.

I do have a question about the possibility of heating this tank as I have read that having a constant temperature is important. Well, our home is about 65 F at night and 71 during the day. What do you guys think?

I guess I should share about our "wetpet" collection as far as what we have. Tank one (10 gal) 3 Zebra Danios and two Cories. Tank two, 5 gal...3 male Guppies. Tank three,(4 gal) 1 Betta Splenden , and for now a 10 gallon tank with three fancy tail goldfish, what kind I don't know. They are about 2.5" long nose through tail. To me they are rescues from Walmart.

PS I am retired long time, I am 78 years old. I have served in the USAF as a musician, and then for 30 years I worked for UARCO as a repairman for machines they made and sold. I am a world traveler, love amusement parks, roller coasters and cars. Have two dogs and for many years was involved with showing them.

:hi hello Allan, welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome to Koko's!!!!

Hello! :D Welcome to Koko's! :) I also have several fish tanks with Goldfish, Tropical fish and Bettas. Can you post pictures of your fish?

Most goldfish owners do not use a heater in their tanks, but I use a 150 to 200 watt heater just to try to keep it at a more stable temp because my home is kept cooler in winter to try to save on our home heating costs. It is not really necessary to heat your goldfish tank like you have to do for tropical fish, it is your choice.

P.S. I used to live in Kewanee Illinois  ;)

Welcome!

Those temperatures are fine. :)

I keep a heater on my tank as I live up north and my partner and I love sleeping without a heater on.

Yay, another Illinoisan.  Nice to meet you Alan, and we look forward to seeing your fishy friends.

They should be fine without a heater - although you'll see that they get more active and friendly when the temp is above 60F.

But you may want a good thermometer - I was really surprised at how much my lights heated up the upper water of my 10 gallon fry tank. I had to really watch how long I had them on.

:hi

and

:welcome

Welcome Allan!  You were misinformed about temperature for goldfish.  Goldfish may have the widest temperature tolerance of any fish.  While generally, cold-blooded animals grow, mature, age, and die faster at higher temperatures (within their tolerance range), there is research indicating that young goldfish, and other young carp in general grow faster when the temperature fluctuates normally during the course of the day than they do at the constant "daytime" temperature.  

Please show us a picture of your goldfish and we can tell you the variety.  

If you have a Petco near you, they have periodic $1 per gallon sales on aquariums.  The spring sale will probably happen in a month or two.  A 40B (40 gallon breeder) is a great choice for your fish.  Meanwhile, large frequent water changes will keep your babies happy.

Did you enjoy being an USAF musician?  My son is thinking about auditioning for the army strings.

Edited by shakaho

Thank you for all the replies. I will attempt to respond to some of the questions. The 3 fish are named George, Gracie and Blanche. I do not know how to put pictures on this forum, so until my wife can help me, it will have to wait.

I loved being in the Air Force band for 10 years. I especially enjoyed playing jazz. If that interests you, see me on youtube. Carol put some videos of me playing on there. It's not very good because I had quit playing in 1964 and for this video I was kinda over the hill.

(don't explain/trumpet)

BTW, should I not get notifications of the replies to my post? I did not. Please respond to me directly if needed.

mickeyrom1936@gmail.com

Hello and Welcome.  It was nice reading your introduction and I can understand about you goldfish dilemma from the other thread you had started.

Hello and Welcome.  It was nice reading your introduction and I can understand about you goldfish dilemma from the other thread you had started.

Thank you, and you must know that it would not be possible for you to home one of our fish. Just too far away.

Allan

Hello Alan! Welcome to KoKo's!! Thank You for your service! :)

Thank you, and you must know that it would not be possible for you to home one of our fish. Just too far away.

Allan

Rehoming fish from out of state can be done though.  I bought a fish from New Jersey and Hawaii.  :)  They came to me healthy as can be. 

My 60g tank is fully stocked with 3 big goldfish though.  Sounds like you might have a home for them if you decide to go that route.

Welcome to the forum, Alan. :hi

:hi hello Allan, welcome to the forum! :) Thank you Lis. I lived in London for 3 years in the 60's. loved every day we spent there. Loved everything about living in England.