Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kehresmann

What do you feed your goldies?

I was curious to know what all the fellow members of Kokos regularly feed their goldies! I usually use a pellets as a base food (NLS brand specifically for goldfish) and every few days feed frozen shrimp,bloodworms,daphia, ect.  I do also occasionally(Every week or so, sometimes I'll do it twice a week it really varies) throw in a few boiled veggies and gel food. Does this schedule seem healthy? If not what it is it lacking? Are pellets a good base food, or should gel food be the base food? Thanks for taking the time to read this newbie's post, me and my goldies definitely appreciate it. :) 

It seems like a good diet.  The real question is if your fish seem happy, are growing and don't show any food-related floating or constipation. Different fish tolerate different foods/pellets.  I would throw in a few more veggies, if I were you, and they don't have to be boiled (although wilted is good).  My older fish is a big fan of spinach and dandelion greens.

Pellets: YFS Mega Marine (my current main pellet; excessive protein but feeding it for my youngest fish), NLS Algaemax , SD Fancy Goldfish, and Saki Hikari Red.

Also homemade gel food (jumbo mysis shrimp, carrots, spinach, lettuce, acidophilus, Algaemax, whole bulb of garlic, baby spinach, small amount of avocado, whatever else I have on hand!) and frozen bloodworms. :)

Gel food or pellets can both be sufficient base diets, but variety is nice as well. Having enough protein for the stages of life your fish are in is important for some people, but just having a high quality food (minimum amount of fillers like corn, soy, wheat, more greens and aquatic-based proteins, rather than land-based...) is a big support for the fish overall.

Edited by Chai

It seems like a good diet.  The real question is if your fish seem happy, are growing and don't show any food-related floating or constipation. Different fish tolerate different foods/pellets.  I would throw in a few more veggies, if I were you, and they don't have to be boiled (although wilted is good).  My older fish is a big fan of spinach and dandelion greens.

I figured the little piggies could use some more veggies, I'll definitely be working some more into their diets! They seem incredibly happy, and I've had no buoyancy issues so I must be doing an alright job with feeding, minus the lack of vegetable noms.:) I don't have to always boil veggies? I know I don't have to boil spinach and such but shouldn't things like cucumbers or zucchini always be boiled before feeding them to the aquatic piggies??

I feed pellets as my staple - Hikari Gold Lionhead. I also feed frozen brine shrimp and blood worms as a treat.

I feed NLS Thera A 1mm, NLS Algaemax, hikari lionhead, repashy super green, frozen bloodworms, seaweed, and spinach and kale on occasion (they seem to prefer the seaweed)

I feed mine NLS Thera A and Hikari frozen Bloodworm's.

I figured the little piggies could use some more veggies, I'll definitely be working some more into their diets! They seem incredibly happy, and I've had no buoyancy issues so I must be doing an alright job with feeding, minus the lack of vegetable noms. :) I don't have to always boil veggies? I know I don't have to boil spinach and such but shouldn't things like cucumbers or zucchini always be boiled before feeding them to the aquatic piggies??

I tried blanched Cucumber and Zucchini slices for my fish but my goldfish and my tropical fish and catfish love it raw way better. ;) 

Sounds like your giving your fish a nice variety of foods. :)

I feed my fish mostly new life spectrum thera -A sinking pellets, hikari lionhead sinking pellets, frozen blood worms, frozen shrimp, some occasional greens and sinking shrimp pellets.

I use a pellet as their base diet. Now that Goldfsh Connection is out of business, and I can't get Pro-Gold anymore, I'm experimenting with others. I like the results I got from New Life Spectrum, and Hikari Lionhead is an old favorite. Years ago, I fed Saki-Hikari (purple), but I didn't like how it discolored my white fish.

I occasionally give thawed frozen bloodworms, peas, zucchini, or any seafood I'm having myself. Goldfish go insane for Dungeness crab!

Does anyone else other than Lis feed their goldies seaweed? Mine love brown seaweed, but they absolutely will not touch fresh vegetables. My beardie loves them, but my goldfish are really picky.

I feed NLS Thera A 1mm, NLS Algaemax, hikari lionhead, repashy super green, frozen bloodworms, seaweed, and spinach and kale on occasion (they seem to prefer the seaweed)

I have attempted to feed seaweed to my goldfish and they will NOT touch it...;/ Any ideas on how to coax them into trying it?

I figured the little piggies could use some more veggies, I'll definitely be working some more into their diets! They seem incredibly happy, and I've had no buoyancy issues so I must be doing an alright job with feeding, minus the lack of vegetable noms. :) I don't have to always boil veggies? I know I don't have to boil spinach and such but shouldn't things like cucumbers or zucchini always be boiled before feeding them to the aquatic piggies??

I tried blanched Cucumber and Zucchini slices for my fish but my goldfish and my tropical fish and catfish love it raw way better. ;)

Looks like raw is the way to go! :) I'll have to try that next time I head up to the grocery store. :)

Edited by kehresmann

Does anyone else other than Lis feed their goldies seaweed? Mine love brown seaweed, but they absolutely will not touch fresh vegetables. My beardie loves them, but my goldfish are really picky.

I have attempted to feed my goldies green seaweed but the spoiled brats just won't go for it! -__-

I use a pellet as their base diet. Now that Goldfsh Connection is out of business, and I can't get Pro-Gold anymore, I'm experimenting with others. I like the results I got from New Life Spectrum, and Hikari Lionhead is an old favorite. Years ago, I fed Saki-Hikari (purple), but I didn't like how it discolored my white fish.

I occasionally give thawed frozen bloodworms, peas, zucchini, or any seafood I'm having myself. Goldfish go insane for Dungeness crab!

I also really like NLS, I have yet to be disappointed by one of their products! I have seen allot of members on here that suggest Hikari pellets, I think on my next trip to my LPS I'll pick some up. :) What is Dungeness crab though? I've never heard of it..Is it just regular crab? :huh:

Edited by kehresmann

What is Dungeness crab though? I've never heard of it..Is it just regular crab? :huh:

Pretty much. It's the local crab from the San Francisco Bay. Everyone will tell you that the crab where they live is the best, but Dungeness truly rules all. ;) I'm a crab fanatic, so if I'm having some (steamed or boiled), a pinch or two goes in the aquarium. Turns goldfish into sharks. Feeding frenzy!

I had just ordered some seaweed sheets from an online pet store but I haven't tried it yet.

Nori (seaweed) can be fed by putting it on a veggie clip in the tank. The key to getting a goldfish to try any new food is to not give them any alternative foods. Just don't feed them until they give in and try the new food that you have on the clip. My bet is that they'll love it once they are hungry enough to try it and you won't have problems with feeding that to them in the future.

Right now I am feeding NLS AlgaeGel + either Repashy Spawn and Grow or Repashy RedRum for protein. Where I live right now Frozen Bloodworms aren't available to me. When I go home in the summer, the Spawn and Grow and RedRum will be replaced with FBW, as I prefer those to the gel protein sources because they have lots of benefits for goldfish. 

I feed sinking shrimp pellets. Gel food. Frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and whats left of my pro gold as a treat.

Their main diet is gel food (repashy soilent green)

They get pellets about 3 times a week (mix of different types of hikari, new life spectrum, etc)

They get frozen food (bloodworms, brine shrimps, tubifex worms, krill...) about 3-4 times weekly

They get veggies (spinach and peas mostly) every day or every 2 days.

Around here they get the remains of fluval green (trying to use it up), repashy super green, and NLS betta pellets as a meaty treat to round it out.

Nori (seaweed) can be fed by putting it on a veggie clip in the tank. The key to getting a goldfish to try any new food is to not give them any alternative foods. Just don't feed them until they give in and try the new food that you have on the clip. My bet is that they'll love it once they are hungry enough to try it and you won't have problems with feeding that to them in the future.

Right now I am feeding NLS AlgaeGel + either Repashy Spawn and Grow or Repashy RedRum for protein. Where I live right now Frozen Bloodworms aren't available to me. When I go home in the summer, the Spawn and Grow and RedRum will be replaced with FBW, as I prefer those to the gel protein sources because they have lots of benefits for goldfish. 

I have been putting the Nori (Never knew it was called Nori until now..0.0 Shame on me :P) on a veggie clip but the little buggers just ignore it anyways..-_- I'll have to try your method for a few days and see if the spoiled brats try it. :)

Thanks to everyone who posted on my thread, you all have given me plenty of new food sources to try. Me and the chubs are going to have a good couple months of trying some new foods, and I'm sure the finbabies are will be plenty thankful for all the wonderful advice!(They'd be thankful for anything involving food..I just know it lol ;)) Once again I couldn't thank you guys enough for helping a goldfish newbie out! I'm very glad I found kokos, it's been a wonderful source for learning and an incredibly nice community. You guys rock!! :)

No problem, never shy away from asking for advice on anything Goldie or fish-related here! Your thread may end up being someone else's question and in turn, help them out as well. :D