Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
troy.telford

Fish Weight... (ballpark figure)

Since I'm treating my largest goldfish for an infection, and have to do 100% water changes, I figured today's water change would be a great time to do his first "weigh in", and see if I am feeding anything close to the "1% of body mass per day in food" guideline.

My fish is a 6"-ish (sans long flowy tail fins), and I used

which seemed to make sense.

I measured my fish as weighing about 120 grams. Does that seem in the right ball park for a 6-ish inch Oranda?

It depends on the fish, honestly. Body type plays a role, as well as wen growth and finnage. Do you have any photos we could use as reference?

Are you including the tail in this measurement?

Are you including the tail in this measurement?

Good question. I have a 5" oranda that weighs about 285 grams. Tail not included.

I have many pictures in the D&D thread where his treatment is:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/120317-Red-Blood-Vessels%2C-Ragged-fins

As far as the weight goes: I weighed out the amount of food 1% of 120 grams is (1.2 g). Then I compared it to what I've been feeding my fish.

Not the result I expected. At all.

I've been feeding my three fish about 1.5 g of food a day, which works about 1/3 of the 1% guideline. And they're still growing; until I contaminated the tank with an infected plant, all were pretty healthy.

So I guess it really is hard to underfeed goldfish...

That said: I'd like to feed closer to the guideline. I really think it would be a bad idea to suddenly double (I'll not even think of tripling) their daily diet.

So, my questions:

How slowly would I need to increase their meal size? I don't want constipated fish...

Would having more frequent, smaller meals be a good way to go?

I've honestly seen more people here underfed than overfeed. Both have their pros and cons, but it's better to find a middle. I don't feed by weight at all since its hard to do that for each individual fish...

Lin is just barely smaller then your oranda. She weighed in at 128g at the start of the new year.

QPYqDwXl.jpg

Frequent smaller meals throughout the day will help you feed a little bit more.

Are you looking for (rapid) growth in your fish? :idont

I'm not looking for rapid growth; in fact I'd guess that doubling what I've been feeding them is too much. I was thinking of moving from ~ 1.5 g of food per day to something like 2.25 (basically a third meal of the same size I've been feeding.)

I'm glad to hear my feeding isn't too unusual.

One clarification:  I'm not sure if I communicated correctly in my earlier posts. I've been feeding ~1.5 g of food for the tank per day, or 0.5g of food per fish per day. I'm thinking of raising it to 2.25 g of food for the tank per day, or 0.75g per fish per day.