Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldfishgirl82

Vegetables

Hello. I was just wondering what types of vegetables people like to feed their goldfish. I currently feed mine peas and spinach, but would like to include more variety in their diet. I have read about red leaf lettuce and am planning to try that. I've also heard that zucchini and broccoli are good. The question I have about zucchini, however, is how do you prepare it for them? I cut up fresh pieces and boiled them for about five minutes then threw them in cold water. They were soft, but I'm not sure if they were soft enough because the fish had trouble eating them. In the end they just shoved them under the plants and I had to take them out. Should I have boiled them to a softer state first? Any tips would be appreciated for this and the broccoli.   :thanks

Hi goldfishgirl82, I feed mine (organic) edamame, spinich, kale, garlic, carrots, and cooked red peppers with skins removed. I cook them and mush it up like baby food and then mix it in with my gel food. But you can use agar agar to "set" it into something that holds together and doesn't foul your tank. 

Take a look here for a long list of fruits, vegetables and other items (baby food, wheat germ, oatmeal) that you might already have at home which are fine for your goldies.

I've not tried broccoli, :idont  so I'm awaiting more replies to your interesting question.

Edited by mysterygirl

Smaller fish sometimes have problems with the firmer veggies.

Broccoli can cause gassiness in some goldies, so keep an eye on that in case yours share that trait. ;)

Kale can be good, although I usually par-boil it first (about 1 minute). I've honestly only fed kale a couple times, but they loved it.

Hi goldfishgirl82, I feed mine (organic) edamame, spinich, kale, garlic, carrots, and cooked red peppers with skins removed. I cook them and mush it up like baby food and then mix it in with my gel food. But you can use agar agar to "set" it into something that holds together and doesn't foul your tank. 

Take a look here for a long list of fruits, vegetables and other items (baby food, wheat germ, oatmeal) that you might already have at home which are fine for your goldies.

I've not tried broccoli, :idont  so I'm awaiting more replies to your interesting question.

Is agar agar kind of like a plant-based version of jello? Does it go in the fridge or freezer when you store itt? What do you use to mush it all up together? Sorry for all the questions, I've always sort of shied away from gel foods because they seemed complicated to me. Maybe I've just been over-thinking it... :-)

Broccoli can cause gassiness in some goldies, so keep an eye on that in case yours share that trait. ;)

Kale can be good, although I usually par-boil it first (about 1 minute). I've honestly only fed kale a couple times, but they loved it.

Thank you for the info. I probably should avoid it in this case. Most of mine aren't too gassy, but my largest goldie has been having bloaty issues for the last couple months and I don't know if I'd want to risk it with her. She might do well with the kale though. Her favorite right now is the cut up spinach.

Is agar agar kind of like a plant-based version of jello? Does it go in the fridge or freezer when you store itt? What do you use to mush it all up together? Sorry for all the questions, I've always sort of shied away from gel foods because they seemed complicated to me. Maybe I've just been over-thinking it... :-)

Agar is a vegetarian alternative to gelatine. I believe it's derived from algae. When it comes to making gel food you basically just blitz the ingredients together in a food processor. There are several good recipes in the thread linked below, instructions too. Most gel food is relatively simple to make, but the simplest are the premixed foods like Repashy Super Green, NLS Algae Gel, etc. With either of these gel mixes there is no real need to feed supplemental vegetables since they are already full of various algae and other yummy goodies.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/97760-share-your-gel-food-recipes-for-floaters/

Something I love to feed my fish is Nori. Nori is dried seaweed that people use to make sushi. It is digested better than terrestrial veggies since it's an aquatic plant.

Another suggestion is feeding something like Repashy Super Green Gel or New Life Spectrum Algae Gel. These are gel foods that you make from powder and are packed with different algaes. Since they're a more complete source of aquatic plant nutrition, I prefer them over feeding terrestrial veggies. 

I don't feed veggies directly, but they're in my gel food recipe.

I think I've also previously added small amounts of asparagus, squash, and kale in the previous ones.

Every mix has pleeeeeeenty of fresh garlic.

QPly6Svl.jpg

Edited by Chai

I just feed mine Romaine, Spinach, and peas occasionally. I should try/give more.

I'm thinking about buying the NLS Algae gel to try out gel food for the first time. If I wanted to add garlic to it, what would be the best way? Just add minced garlic to it when I make it? I know garlic is one of the best things to feed to prevent illness, etc.

I'm thinking about buying the NLS Algae gel to try out gel food for the first time. If I wanted to add garlic to it, what would be the best way? Just add minced garlic to it when I make it? I know garlic is one of the best things to feed to prevent illness, etc.

Minced in a garlic press or with a knife should suffice. If you have a mortar and pestle you could always grind it down into a paste too. Another option would be to feed the algae gel in combination with NLS Thera A+ since the latter is loaded with garlic.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of these (they list the ingredients on the page):
http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/fish-food-feeders/kens-premium-spirulina-bits-garlic-paprika.html

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/fish-food-feeders/kens-premium-vegetable-sticks.html

I bought a half pound of each of these last month and give them to my goldies (soaking first of course) and to my plecos and loaches. They seem pretty good, but the veggie sticks make my large fantail a bit gassy and I stopped using them except maybe once a week. I use the ones with garlic more frequently. Do you think there's anything in them that would not be good?