Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Reds12

Newly Hatched Eggs -I have no idea what to do

Good morning!

Last weekend I was given some pond plant by a local with a large backyard pond - she let me know that her fish had been spawning so it was possible there were eggs on some of the plants.  

Yesterday afternoon I was watching a dragonfly-nymph-just-turned-dragonfly attempting to use its wings and noticed that I had some fry!  

I have no idea what they are - goldfish, koi or guppies - and no idea what to do with them.

I have two 20 gallon rubbermaid bins with duckweed that they are currently in.  

Any advice or links to advice would be great, and/or links to attempting to identify them if possible at this stage!!!

TYIA!

Image1 - http://tinypic.com/r/i3ihko/8

Image2 - http://tinypic.com/r/106fsyv/8

Bonus pics of one of my dogs & my pond fish being very curious as to what I was doing...

http://tinypic.com/r/309sit5/8

http://tinypic.com/r/xohchg/8

Guppies are livebearers so they aren't guppies.

Keep the water level at 6" or less.  They will eat off the duckweed.  I would also look into feeding other food such as baby brine shrimp.  :D

Congrats!

Guppies are livebearers so they aren't guppies.

Keep the water level at 6" or less.  They will eat off the duckweed.  I would also look into feeding other food such as baby brine shrimp.  :D

Congrats!

Awesome!  Thanks :)

Get ready for an adventure!

Learn and research as much as you can. If you see eggs that haven't hatched and start to go fuzzy like a dandelion head, remove those: that is fungus on the egg. 

Edited by mysterygirl

You got a free fish surprise! :teehee Good luck with them :) I wonder what kind they are :hummm

I like your dog! So cute! :)

So the mystery fry range from I think about 4-6 weeks old now - I'm thinking based on how big some of them are already I had some already hatched fry hitch hike along with the plants.  I still have about 125 fry.

I've attached a few pics - sorry they're somewhat blurry, I still have to learn how to use this camera properly.  :doh11:

Its really fun seeing the color start to develop on them!  I managed to get a pic of one of the ones I'm starting to take a liking to - he/she is quite social compared to the others and is developing a black mo-hawk.  There is also one that is starting to look a lemony-yellow color but he/she isn't easy to get a picture of.

babies_zpsauolfch4.jpg

They look like baby single-tail goldfish of some type to me. :)

No matter what they develop into, they are adorable.  :heart

P.S. Is your dog in the picture above a Jack Russel Terrier? He reminds me of the dog my parents used to have. Cute!

Edited by goldfishgirl82

They look like baby single-tail goldfish of some type to me. :)

No matter what they develop into, they are adorable.  :heart

P.S. Is your dog in the picture above a Jack Russel Terrier? He reminds me of the dog my parents used to have. Cute!

Yes, they all definitely are single tails.  Its possible to have both koi and goldfish, but I wouldn't know how to tell the difference at this point TBH :)

And my dog in the picture is a Jack Russell Terrier!  We have two of them and a pitbull.  With those 3, a 2 year old son, a 55g, 40B, two fry tanks and a 600G pond, things can be fun around here, LOL