Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jellyballoo

What age can goldfish lay eggs?

I know they shouldn't be bred till they they about two but I got two butterflies a month ago and I noticed today one was really fat and bottom sitting, I removed them to do a W/C and all of a sudden there were about 30 eggs in the bowl

They are only about 4-5cm in body so teeny tiny (3cm when I got them)

can goldfish lay eggs that young?

Or is it more likely that they are older then I thought and have been stunted?

Some of the eggs (actually must have been closer to 50 eggs lol)

04c952e335cca7d8dba9cffd51d6efd1.jpg

This is the fish that laid them

3164fc03057e27eb0fcef4a082b00e1b.jpg

My tiny fry laying eggs after 3-4 month old! Its about temp to increase the metabolism and proper feeding plus water condition, do you observed chasing ?

Not really

I only have the two in that tank and I'm pretty sure they are both girls

The other one does chase this one after feeding occasionally but it doesn't last longer then 10seconds

Maybe the other is a male.

It's hard to tell when they are this small

I had recently moved them from the 20g QT to the 40g

Very young goldfish can lay eggs. I have not heard that you are supposed to wait until they are 2 years old before breeding. :idont Goldfish are sexually mature at one year of age. Eggs before that point are usually infertile. 

This is not young fish, fish need long time to develop big fins and tail as the photo of your female not that small fish .

f4c4f558548ccbb85b9cc8b681834cc5.jpg

Hassan, that fish looks like it is 3-4 months old to me. I have one that had beautiful long fins at that age.

I had a fish pass away from attempting eggs at a very early age and becoming seriously impacted, nature is unpredictable. :cry

I currently have an almost two year old ryukin who has never dropped eggs, or ever exhibited breeding behaviour.

"I do what I want, and I don't want no kiiiiiids!"

MPUUOBCl.jpg

That fish does look like a very young fish, Hassan. :)

Nature does what nature wants. Glad it's going smoothly. :teehee

Edited by Chai

I've had fish that were ~ six months old  and very small, spawn and produce fry.  The fry were really small, but healthy.  My fish live in ponds that get over 85F in the several months of summer and that rarely get below 70F.

Fish in a pond in the northern US might not be ready to spawn until they are two years old.  They don't grow during the time they spend under ice.  

Indoor goldfish will usually spawn at about a year old.  I've heard that females reach their maximum egg production by about 3 years.

Fish kept in tropical waters may spawn very early, but have been reported to show signs of aging by the time they are three years old.  Hassan may have some direct observations on that matter.  

Mine is about 7 month old and laid eggs the day before yesterday. The boys who chased her only 4-6 month. 933f510c3ef9949326a4c3dd1df33c07.jpg19c45a0b2487ba3533111124836b1f49.jpg6837cdb63dae2291fd61b22ed028e96c.jpgfd5cbec4999de79cd45a823517e18620.jpg

This red cup I named him Nietzsche, he's 6 month old.

Let me show my exp. in this photo my male about 10 month old .

bd951e1c18bbc83bbda6b85b558b8295.jpg

And another photo for a female

41e74d59807fd148ba00a80b92587c0c.jpg

spawned end of Sept 2014 , the upper male participated in her breeding if you look for the tail its little bigger in the male , the female about duple size of the male (parent) but his tail still bigger .

Sharon even me my female 4 month old spawned week ago , but small eggs and small fry too .

Edited by hassan.zidan

I had a fish pass away from attempting eggs at a very early age and becoming seriously impacted, nature is unpredictable. :cry

I think this might be what happened to her

The next day she was bottom sitting and bloated again, I had to go to work that morning so didn't have much time to do anything, all I could do was give her a quick Epsom salt dip and to see if that helped but by the time I came home from work I had lost her [emoji22]

I think this might be what happened to her

The next day she was bottom sitting and bloated again, I had to go to work that morning so didn't have much time to do anything, all I could do was give her a quick Epsom salt dip and to see if that helped but by the time I came home from work I had lost her [emoji22]

I'm so very sorry. :(

Eggbound females are a very delicate issue, it's not your fault. :k055:

For size comparison

This is the other one I have that is the same size as what she was

9ed085039117187a8ce9631e5ea820e6.jpg

Wow, that's a very little fish. :o

Mine are sooooo delaaaaayeeeed... :hmm

Edited by Chai