Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jes

I have eggs! First time ever! Help!

Hey,

I woke up this morning to my orandas going crazy and chasing. I thought i would just pop my mops and wait to see if anything came of it. Instantly they where in them and i have EGGS!! 

Im so excited! i have never had eggs before so i need some step by step help. I hope they are fertilised.

This is what i have done so far:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f204/jesbaxter1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpstygvvr7u.jpg~original

And that's about all you can do for now.  :rofl  Do you have a heater for that amount of water?  What's the temp in there now?

Remove any eggs that get fuzzy.  Other than that, it's watch and wait.  And if you're like me, you'll check about every 4 minutes.  :tomuch:

Congratulations!!!!

Congratulations to you and your fish. :clapping:

And that's about all you can do for now. :rofl Do you have a heater for that amount of water? What's the temp in there

Remove any eggs that get fuzzy. Other than that, it's watch and wait. And if you're like me, you'll check about every 4 minutes. :tomuch:[/quote

I don't have a heater going or do I no the temp :/ it was just a very old tank I had lying around. I have no spare equipment at this moment. Is it essential while they are eggs? They will have to go another 24 hours until I can get to my LFS.

I'm worried now ????

Mine hatched at about 66-68* so it is possible for them to hatch at cooler temps.  It just takes longer.  Warmer water (say mid 70s) will help them hatch sooner.  Also you'll probably want a heater if/when they hatch as the fry prefer a little bit warmer temps.  If you can't get to the lfs for another 24 hours I wouldn't worry too much.

You'll want to add an airstone once they are a week old.  Keep the water at about 4-6 inches.  Be sure to get a heater for the appropriate amount of water.  I had something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Betta-Submersible-Heater-Aquarium/dp/B00AE23Z88/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1423004469&sr=8-4&keywords=betta+heater

Mine hatched at about 66-68* so it is possible for them to hatch at cooler temps. It just takes longer. Warmer water (say mid 70s) will help them hatch sooner. Also you'll probably want a heater if/when they hatch as the fry prefer a little bit warmer temps. If you can't get to the lfs for another 24 hours I wouldn't worry too much.

You'll want to add an airstone once they are a week old. Keep the water at about 4-6 inches. Be sure to get a heater for the appropriate amount of water. I had something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Betta-Submersible-Heater-Aquarium/dp/B00AE23Z88/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1423004469&sr=8-4&keywords=betta+heater

Ok thanks very much for your help! Will it harm the eggs if I add a heater now? When do I need todo my first water change after they have hatched?

Ooooh, so exciting!  Congrats! 

Mine hatched at about 66-68* so it is possible for them to hatch at cooler temps. It just takes longer. Warmer water (say mid 70s) will help them hatch sooner. Also you'll probably want a heater if/when they hatch as the fry prefer a little bit warmer temps. If you can't get to the lfs for another 24 hours I wouldn't worry too much.

You'll want to add an airstone once they are a week old. Keep the water at about 4-6 inches. Be sure to get a heater for the appropriate amount of water. I had something like this:

Ok thanks very much for your help! Will it harm the eggs if I add a heater now? When do I need todo my first water change after they have hatched?

I don't know about the heater as I never added one, but just keep an eye on the water quality. I changed mine when I couldn't keep up with the layer of "scum" on the surface of the water. I would siphon it off with a turkey baster but at one point for me it became too much. The easiest way to do a water change is to go to Walmart and get a couple of white sterilite dish pans. One for the fish to be in and one with clean water all ready to go so you dont have to worry about matching temp, ph, etc.

My advice is to read lots of fry threads! I got a lot of information from them last spring when I had eggs :)