Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Goldie

Questions about Repashy Gel Food and Feeding Schedule

I'm making a feeding schedule for my future goldfish and I wanna make sure that I get it right the first time. I've been reading that variety is key and I think I've got that down. As for the staple food source, I'll be feeding 2% of the fish's body weight, correct? This percentage does not include supplemental food like brine shrimp, bloodworms, or spinach, etc. Would the Repashy gel food be considered a staple food source, like sinking pellets? Or is it supplemental? Should I consider it to be a part of the 2%?

The feeding schedule:

Every morning,

--Sunday, frozen krill

--Monday, edamame

--Tuesday, frozen daphnia

--Wednesday,green leaf lettuce 

--Thursday, frozen bloodworms

--Friday, peas

--Saturday, frozen brine shrimp with spirulina

Every mid-day, 1% (or 2% if the gel food is considered supplemental) body weight of Omega One sinking pellets split into two to three times. I'll be using an automatic feeder since I'm at work, any recommendations of which one is good? Is there any reason why I should be using Hikari sinking pellets instead?

Every night, 1% body weight of Repashy Super Green and Soilent Green 50/50 mix. 

When feeding the frozen foods/supplemental, should I just plunk in one of the cubes or should I feed a certain percentage of the fish's body weight? How many peas, edamame, and spinach should I feed per fish?

Also, should I be feeding the gel food in the morning instead of at night, vice versa with the supplemental? Doesn't really matter to me, just wanted to know the best order to feed for the fish. 

BTW, I have a 75 gallon "low-tech" aquarium, heavily planted. I'll be getting two Orandas eventually. I figured if I understocked and feeding pretty well they won't destroy their home that I've spent months creating.

Thanks for reading. If there are any changes you think I should make, I would greatly appreciate your advice. Sorry if it's long and there are so many questions. I tried to keep it short and to the point.   :D

Since you are feeding the Super Green, even as a 50% mix, there really is no need for the land-based vegetables you want to supplement. They will get plenty in the food. So, in my opinion, all of those can be removed from your list.

As far as how much you feed goes, the 1% bodyweight is for the total amount of food fed in a day, according to pellet recommendations. 2%-3% is the total if you are feeding mainly gel. I know quite a few of us don't count our FBW and other supplements into that and just focus on the staples to reach that number, while some do. Since you have a wide variety of supplemental foods, it's up to you whether you want to count or not. I would suggest totalling your pellets and gel to weigh 1.5% of the fish's body weight if the gel is only going to be one meal, though. Feeding 2% of a fish's body weight in pellets would be a very heavy feeding schedule, as 1% is the normal recommendation for pellet diets. 

Personally, I would feed the gel in the morning. This would allow it to run through the fish without being backed up behind the slower-moving pellets. Feed the supplements when you decide to. Frozen bloodworms are a great laxative, so those can be fed right before bedtime to help evacuate the fish.

Your food choices, in the end, are up to you. I see no reason to think that Hikari is better than Omega One, so feel free to make your choice there. These are just a few of my recommendations.

Edited by ChelseaM

I agree with Chelsea that if you feed Repashy Super Green, you don't need the land-based vegetables.  I would skip the edamame and reserve the peas for helping with occasional constipation.  If you want to feed lettuce, try raw red leaf lettuce.

I prefer the Super Green because it contains vegetation from their natural habitat.  The same is true for the protein found in frozen bloodworms.  Here is what I feed daily:

AM - Hikari Lionhead or NLS Thera-A sinking pellets (1 or 2mm)

MID - Repashy Super Green

PM - Frozen Bloodworms

My fish are healthy, growing and do not have swimbladder problems.  However, this is what works for my fish and may not work for everyone :)

Thank you both. That's exactly the information I need. 

Would you recommend that I feed a supplemental every day? Which one should be feed more than the others, if there would be a choice?

I would prefer to feed a solely gel-based diet but the only issue is that I work throughout the day. I've seen the gel food spread on a rock for fry and I assume they graze all day. Would that work in my case... or would they gobble it before I even step out the house? 

As far as supplements, you can feed them pretty much whenever you want. It's up to you. I am a heavy advocate of Frozen Bloodworms, though, since they seem to be perfect for goldfish. If you wanted, you could feed them exclusively as a supplement. As long as they get adequate protein (which they should with the pellets) you're fine doing as you please. 

Goldfish are pigs and would likely pick it until it's gone if fed on a rock. I feed an exclusive gel-based diet. On my long days at school, when I can't be home to feed them during the day, I leave a sheet of Nori (dried seaweed used for sushi) on a veggie clip in the tank. The fish like to graze on that most of the day. When I leave for school I feed them, and when I get home I feed them again, then again before bed. They still get their 3 square meals a day, but just not all at even intervals. :)

I've used dried seaweed before and the fish loved it!  It really made a mess of my tank though, falling off in bits and clogging the filter. Does this happen to you too? 

There is an Korean supermarket near me and they had loads of the Nori. I just kinda picked up a random brand and tired it. I wonder if other ones flake off like the one I chose. What brand do you use?

I use whatever brand I can get. The kinds I get aren't toasted though. Sure, if you use a big piece you'll get flaking. I personally like that the flaking allows them to forage. If you use too much, you'll clog your filter because the fish don't have the ability to eat it all. So it's a delicate balance thing: How much is too much and how much is not enough? It totally depends on your tank.

Edited by ChelseaM

Ok I definitely try it out. Thanks for the advice. 

I can't wait to feed my little piggies  :feedme

My fish don't "graze" on anything.  If I gave them that much Repashy in one sitting, they would be upside down for sure :rofl

True. I just found this thread. Although it is a great idea but they would definitely be floaty.

Repashy Feeding Disks