Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fish Of Gold

What Bio Medias are best to use?

I would not recommend the first or the last.  Most  people here use ceramic rings.

I'm on my cell phone which is being horribly slow so I will just say for now that it depends partly on how good your mechanical filtration is. If you have mediocre mechanical filtration you will want to go with something like bioballs to allow small particles to flow through them. If you have very good mechanical filtration you should go with something like ceramic media which has very small holes in it with tons of surface area.

I would not recommend the first or the last.  Most  people here use ceramic rings.

May I ask why I shouldn't choose those types of Bio Media? Just curious :hummm

Oh yeah I seen that stuff but I didn't look into reading about it because it said "Pre Filter media" so I thought it was something else. Hmmm so it can be used for Bio media too huh?

May I ask why I shouldn't choose those types of Bio Media? Just curious :hummm

The first one doesn't have enough surface area for use in a HOB.  The last one has a user review saying it breaks down.

I've had pretty good luck in my hobs using the aquaclear biomax bags, http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Clear-A1372-Aquaclear-50-Gallon/dp/B000A7BCG4/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1422308037&sr=1-4&keywords=aquaclear+50&pebp=1422308088208&peasin=B000A7BCG4

, shrimp and betta tanks.  I like that they come pre-bagged and I can get a size that fits well in whatever HoB that I'm using, I think they have 5 different sized bags.  Not sure if its the most cost effective way to do it, but I like the solid bag over the ones with zippers or ties.

I've used most of those things at one time or another, including those chem stars (first link).  Bottom line is, if your chosen bio media has plenty of surface area, and you keep your tank parameters stable, there's really no "best" option to use -- it's all good. ;)

My canister has Marineland and Fluval rings, they've both done a fine job. I think I still have a small amount of tiny ceramic pellets from my Aquaclear in there as well.

You can also buy a big bunch of generic non-branded ceramic rings on eBay and Amazon, or stick with name brands if you feel more comfortable. Always check for the best deal and check reviews!

I switched to No. 4 above the Marineland Ceramics. I had biomax in my filters for the last few years kinda like #5 but over time they disintegrate and then every time you rinse them and start up the filter lots of white broken down material comes out. I ordered my own media bags on line to use. I like the zip ones because then if you need to move some to a qt tank you can just take some out and leave some in.

I switched to No. 4 above the Marineland Ceramics. I had biomax in my filters for the last few years kinda like #5 but over time they disintegrate and then every time you rinse them and start up the filter lots of white broken down material comes out. I ordered my own media bags on line to use. I like the zip ones because then if you need to move some to a qt tank you can just take some out and leave some in.

Ah, yes that is a good idea to have zippered bags for the media! :idea:  I just seen some nice ones online that I will try. I got one bag of Bio Max with the AC70, but yeah I want to get something different for the other filters and maybe I'll use the AC70's biomax to seed the new filters I am going to get soon.

I use these - they are plastic not ceramic. Easy to rinse off. With. pond. water. 
TetraPondMedia.jpg
For pressure filters that have a back flush option, the idea is to allow unrestricted water flow to all the surfaces for improved cleaning during the back flush cycle. The open profile is designed to allow the force from the water unrestricted access to the entire internal surface area.

I thought I'd show a close-up.