Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
troy.telford

Goldfish Connection food replacements?

I've been using Goldfish Connection's food for almost as long as I've been keeping my fish.

It appears that they've closed.

So, the next time I need to buy food, I'll have to use something else.

My main food is their "Pro Gold" pellets; does anybody have suggestions for good replacement(s)?

Also:  Since they made Metro Meds... is there anything else like it on the market?  (Medicated food for emergencies?)

Many people like New Life Spectrum (I use Thera+A and the cichlid one), Hikari sinking pellets (Lionhead is my favorite from them), and Omega One (I haven't tried this yet but I've heard good things) are all good high quality brands for pellets.

As for MMs the hobby went for years before it came around so there are things to use instead. A medicated gel food can be made if you have metronidazole powder. It is also useful to have Kanaplex powder on hand as well.

I haven't kept goldfish without feeding Pro-Gold since the mid-1990s (back then it was called Sho-Gold). What a loss! And Rick's MetroMeds have helped so many of my fish.

I do also like New Life Spectrum pellets, Hikari Lionhead and Saki Hikari (purple) for very small goldies. But Pro-Gold was always my staple, and was often the only pellet that floaty fish could tolerate.

I'm bummed out... :(

I really liked pro-gold, which my mom shipped me from the US.  I am now feeding the NLS cichlid and Saki Hikari.

Edited by motherredcap

I really loved Pro Gold as well. It's truly a huge loss for the goldfish keeping community. 

I have since fed NLS Thera+A, but found that I like the combo of NLS AlgaeGel and Repashy Spawn and Grow Freshwater  and Repashy Redrum a lot better. 

I use the small sized "Omega One: Cichlid formula", Repashy SG, and am currently using up the last of my big Pro Gold bag. :)

I use Repashy Soilent Green. Oh yeah and bugs and algae from the pond.

Edited by ANGELMB15

NLS Thera+A, Sakari purple and soilent green chunks thrown in as well. A few couple of the frozen Omega One super carnivore food for treats in between. The omega one has blood worms and a couple different shrimp frozen together, the Ranchu and my Ryukin love it!

Angelmb15: how do the fish like soilent green? Does the quality and flavor vary from person to person? Do the fish start gazing at you with a fierce hunger? (Soylent Green is 'Made of people' joke. Sorry, couldn't resist)

I use the New Life Spectrum AlgaeMAX pellets and the NLS Goldfish pellets. My other favorite is the New Era goldfish pellets. I also get some pellets from Ken's fish that are spirulina with garlic.

Just out of curiosity, I've noticed others here use the NLS cichlid pellets rather than the goldfish specific pellets. Is there a reason? 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

I use the cichlid pellets.  They have slightly less protein (and my big fish needs low protein) and they are tiny (I use the smallest size) which I think he digests better.

Sho-Gold is still out there, and available through Amazon

The Sho Gold I see isn't Rick's stuff. :idont

Sho Gold isn't Rick's food.

Sho Gold isn't Rick's food.

I thought that was what it was called before it was called a Pro Gold.. :hmm

I was saying that the food called Sho Gold I see in Amazon isn't his :hide:

Edited by Chai

Pro Gold is his original food, as is Pond Star.

ShoGold is made by a different company entirely, if I am reading correctly. It's made by Total Koi Inc.