Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MoonPi

How do I know when they are done?

Hello!

Tonight I brought home 3 new fish, all different sizes.

The Calico Oranda was lonely before and hardly ate....until tonight. She ate like a champ. Even the tiny Lionhead Ranchu ate first! And I was worried he wouldn't get any food because of the bigger fish.

I put a little bit of bloodworms and a few small pinches of sinking pellets in the tank. They ate them all. But now they are all milling around the bottom looking for more food. Do I feed them more??

It's been about an hour since I fed them...

9b027da26c0bc88853e7be619c658ad8.jpg

Twice a day and a couple little pinches of food, no more.  Always better to underfeed than overfeed goldfish.  That whole five to ten minute rule would be way to much food.  I'd say whatever they can gobble up in a few minutes.

They are very cute!  Your tank looks nice and easy to clean :)  What size is your tank?  I forgot now, is your tank cycled or are you doing that with the fish in?

Twice a day and a couple little pinches of food, no more. Always better to underfeed than overfeed goldfish. That whole five to ten minute rule would be way to much food. I'd say whatever they can gobble up in a few minutes.

They are very cute! Your tank looks nice and easy to clean :) What size is your tank? I forgot now, is your tank cycled or are you doing that with the fish in?

My tank is 37/39 gallons.

My tank is cycled now, but I expect a bump now that I added 3 more fish. I was using an instant cycle product with WC 40 - 60% every third day as soon as I showed 0.25 ammonia.

With young fish I'd recommend feeding many times a day if possible. Like 4 ish.

With young fish I'd recommend feeding many times a day if possible. Like 4 ish.

Whoa! 4 times a day??

If you do that, do VERY small amounts.

Also, are you using Prime? 

Your fish are cute and small now but they will quickly outgrow the 37g tank.  Hope you are planning on upgrading in a year or so with 4 fish  :teehee

Edited by CindiL

Prime, yes! Yes I am

I'm secretly hoping to get a second tank in a year..... The BF doesn't know yet. LOL

I would feed them very conservatively until you are sure the cycle has adjusted to the new fish load.

I would feed them very conservatively until you are sure the cycle has adjusted to the new fish load.

Oh! I never thought of that!

So just feed them a little bit that they can eat up in a minute or two?

Yes, and only once a day until the tank cycle has adjusted and ammonia and nitrite are consistently zero.  Then, you can feed them more, but will need to start watching the nitrate.

Yes, and only once a day until the tank cycle has adjusted and ammonia and nitrite are consistently zero. Then, you can feed them more, but will need to start watching the nitrate.
Ok, will do!

Yeah, I feed my goldfish up to 4 times a day in small amounts. Remember, goldfish don't have stomachs, so they can't get full and hold food into their systems. They're constant grazers because they only have intestines. By feeding them several times a day in small amounts, it keeps them fatter and healthier. Automatic feeders are great for this purpose. My goldfish stayed fat and happy while I was staying at my mother's house every other week (parents are divorced). It's a lot easier to manage since I moved out and I'm home all day. Plus, my fiance and I both love to feed the fish. So, the goldfish can sometimes be fed up to 6 times a day from lack of communication, but the plants keep the water clear and the parameters in balance. :P

I did not consider that the tank wouldn't be cycled when I suggested 4 feedings a day. But in general young fish need to eat often.  Kinda like how baby humans do. Smaller amamounts, more often, cause their metabolism is fast, and their fat reserves are low. I'd be feeding mire than once a day and doing water changes if the cycle can't keep up. 

They look great!!   I wish my tank would cycle already!

If you really want to know how much to feed them, you can weigh them and calculate how much food they need. Feeding "a little bit" or "as much as they can eat in 5 minutes" or "as much as their eye" is all guessing.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105915-food-weights-by-brand/

Yes, and only once a day until the tank cycle has adjusted and ammonia and nitrite are consistently zero.  Then, you can feed them more, but will need to start watching the nitrate.

I think, if you have seen his fish, Jared follows the "throw in as much food as you can in 5 minutes" rule :lol2

That is simply not true!

I feed them small children :rofl

They will always be looking for food, it's programmed into them, so to speak. They could legitimately eat themselves to death, and will continue to search for food day and night. They're opportunistic feeders and will eat when presented with food... Every single time.

A happy goldfish is a hungry goldfish. If your goldfish ISNT hungry, then it's an issue.

Feed lightly several times a day until the cycle is done, but don't give into their dances.

Edited by Chai

You guys, the tank "is" cycled.  But newly, and she just added 3 more fish.  So, my suggestion to feed conservatively once a day was only meant for a very short period (maybe just a few days) until the tank adjusts  :)

Edited by Jared

You guys, the tank "is" cycled. But newly, and she just added 3 more fish. So, my suggestion to feed conservatively once a day was only meant for a very short period (maybe just a few days) until the tank adjusts :)

Actually, I just added 3 more fish, not 2 LOL

You guys, the tank "is" cycled. But newly, and she just added 3 more fish. So, my suggestion to feed conservatively once a day was only meant for a very short period (maybe just a few days) until the tank adjusts :)

Actually, I just added 3 more fish, not 2 LOL

:yikes