Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PinkChampagne

New Fish! I have lots of food and need a schedule!

Hey Guys!

So just brought home Jubi!     Lights are off and will feed tomorrow it was suggested.

Here are my foods:

Saki-Hikari Fancy Goldfish  ( hella expensive!)

Omega One SMALL sinking pellets

NLS Thera A

FBW

NLS Gel Food

Red leaf lettuce

No clue how much to feed?  Pinches?  How many times a day?  I think Jared mixes all the pellets together and that is the main staple ~ I really can't recall!

This $8 fish eats better than me!

I think quite a few members mix pellets, myself included :) it's best to feed a number of small meals each day, I feed my fish 3-4 times a day

Edited by Lis.

For a young fish you want to grow out I would start out at about 2% of its body weight per day, spread over 3 meals or so. You would need one of those kitchen scales that measures in small increments to figure out exactly how much food that is. You may need tobadjust up or down if the fish doesn't seem to like the 2% number or if your filter can't handle the load, which I think it can.

Thanks, Guys!   I thought some mix all the pellets. 

Yes some, including me, mix all the pellets.  You can go aheadad and mix some of the pellets together but the reason to not mix them all together right away is what if some of the pellets make your fish floaty? How will you know which one it is? You would need to test them by feeding only one type of pellet for a while to rule them out as the floaty food. 

Good thinking!   I won't mix them all.

When I fed a mixed-pellet diet it really meant that I fed more than one type of pellet every day. This could mean a meal of NLS in the morning and a meal of another pellet in the afternoon, followed by gel food in the evening to move everything along. 

Remember, though, since goldfish have no stomach you need to be the one to moderate how much to feed. Don't let the fish tell you when it's hungry, or they will wind up sick from too much food!

For gel foods, feed 2-3% of the bodyweight daily. For pellets, stick to 1%. Since you'll likely mix into different feedings, 2% of the bodyweight total in all foods together is a good way to even that out. It'll look like only a tiny bit of food at first, but you've got a young fish.

Growth isn't very important, honestly, as long as you're maintaining the fish's health and they are not losing weight.

Edited by ChelseaM

You are not allowed to start a new fish thread without photos.... Remember :bat:

:rofl3

:rules:

. When I fed a mixed-pellet diet it really meant that I fed more than one type of pellet every day. This could mean a meal of NLS in the morning and a meal of another pellet in the afternoon, followed by gel food in the evening to move everything along.

I like this. Thank you. You are always so helpful!

Remember, though, since goldfish have no stomach you need to be the one to moderate how much to feed. Don't let the fish tell you when it's hungry, or they will wind up sick from too much food!

Now, do GF look fat after they eat?

Edited by PinkChampagne

You are not allowed to start a new fish thread without photos.... Remember :bat:

:rofl3

:rules:

Oh that's right. The Rules.

You are so funny!

uote>. When I fed a mixed-pellet diet it really meant that I fed more than one type of pellet every day. This could mean a meal of NLS in the morning and a meal of another pellet in the afternoon, followed by gel food in the evening to move everything along.

I like this. Thank you. You are always so helpful!

Now, do GF look fat after they eat?

You only need to feed a tiny amount each meal, so no. They shouldn't bloat at all. Bloating in a goldfish, when food related, would mean constipation.

Jubi ate!!      I was worried when I turned lights on gradually in the living room, then finally her light.  I :heart her!  I fed her 12 Omega One.  Yes.  I counted.  It hardly looked like anything, until they all grew on the bottom of the tank.   I was like OMG!  But she ate it all!

And she is still with me!

20150118_061543.jpg

Edited by PinkChampagne

She looks like such a sweetie! :wub:

Good choice!

Counting is definitely a good habit to get into. :) It'll help you to figure out how much Jubi is eating per day and make it easier when you need to either cut back or increase food based on weight and poop. (Poop is a great way to tell if your fish is healthy or if you're overfeeding.) 

I really love her body shape and that cute little wen she has going! 

Since you don't have a scale, I suggest feeding her what she can eat in three minutes. Do this two to three times a day.

Looks like a very nice fish!

Since you don't have a scale, I suggest feeding her what she can eat in three minutes. Do this two to three times a day.

Except she's cycling so we've suggested feeding lightly 1-2 times per day . . . .

She's beautiful :)

Beautiful!!!!

Except she's cycling so we've suggested feeding lightly 1-2 times per day . . . .

This is true. Jubi is being fed very lightly. She's hungry Lisa! She has had two salt treatments so far. Edited by PinkChampagne

Yes some, including me, mix all the pellets. You can go aheadad and mix some of the pellets together but the reason to not mix them all together right away is what if some of the pellets make your fish floaty? How will you know which one it is? You would need to test them by feeding only one type of pellet for a while to rule them out as the floaty food.

This is what I suggested. Try each food separately first.

I really love her body shape and that cute little wen she has going! 

She has these two little pieces of flopping skin above both eyes....I just noticed this yesterday.  Is this part of her wen or no?

Oh, I missed that. Then 1 to 1.5 minutes each time would be good.