Tuba Toothpaste

Hodor has been badly injured....please help! D:

48 posts in this topic

So my very first goldfish (and my favorite fish) Hodor is hurt really badly. This morning when I went to check on the tank I saw that she somehow got both her dorsal fin and tail fin stuck in the overflow box....I think she got stuck in the wisteria I have floating in the tank and then got tangled up with the overflow box. Her dorsal and tail fin are looking really tattered now, and she isn't swimming well. She is also clearly pineconing. :(

I'll fill out the D&D form as soon as I can get to the desktop (I'm using my phone right now.)

Photos and a video to please :)

if the pineconing is not stress related, then what most likely happened is that she's weakened from internal infection and was pulled to the overflow box whilst sleeping. top view photos so that we can see how advanced the pineconing is, is best. also, if you can let us know what meds you have at hand, that will help move things along.

good luck  :hug

My grandparents' internet is too slow for me to upload a video, but here are some pics I was able to upload. Sorry they're not very good...

4oJvBqh.jpg

BtiRyU4.jpg

hyPpzLl.jpg

lO61UsB.jpg

It's kind of hard to see the pineconing in photos, but I'll try to get a better pic.

She wasn't acting weird or anything before now. If anything she just seemed a little bit tired since I started a round of prazi on Monday. But she wasn't pineconing or anything.

Jus' wanted to say that I really hope your beautiful goldie gets better real quickly!!

Hope she feels better!!!!

Better pics:

kQEJrJJ.jpg

mLyikJ1.jpg

7O76fl2.jpg

(Those little white spots are bubbles btw)

Edited by Tuba Toothpaste

The only medications I have on hand are melafix, triple sulfa, Prazi, and aquarium and epsom salt (not sure if those count).

ok, i don't see any swelling currently, so lets not worry about the epsom salt. what arrangement do you have her in, currently?

tank/tub size:

Ammonia:

Nitrites:

Nitrates:

PH:

temp:

ok, i don't see any swelling currently, so lets not worry about the epsom salt. what arrangement do you have her in, currently?

tank/tub size:

Ammonia:

Nitrites:

Nitrates:

PH:

temp:

So I just have tests strips available to me atm because my liquid kit is still in storage, so I don't know how reliable they are, but here's what the strip says.

Tank size: 55g

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: ~20

pH: 7.8

Temp: 68

Edited by Tuba Toothpaste

I hope Hodor feels better soon :hug

poor baby! Hope he recovers quickly. :hug

When you fill out the form, be sure to test the tank water before you do any water changes :)

When you fill out the form, be sure to test the tank water before you do any water changes :)

Ok. I just tested it (posted the params above) and the last time I changed the water was Monday. I was planning on doing another big water change tomorrow and add more prazi, but should I hold off on doing that now?

Ok. I just tested it (posted the params above) and the last time I changed the water was Monday. I was planning on doing another big water change tomorrow and add more prazi, but should I hold off on doing that now?

Do you have a QT tank if she needs to be separated?

Go ahead and do the water change tomorrow, but hold off on the next round of Prazi for a couple of days.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank): 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank): 0

* Nitrate level(Tank): ~20

* Ammonia Level(Tap): 0

* Nitrite Level(Tap): 0

* Nitrate level(Tap): 0

* Ph Level, Tank: 7.8

* Ph Level, Tap: 7

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Marineland strips

* Water temperature?: 68

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55g; 1 year

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?: wet/dry filter

* How often do you change the water and how much?: Every 5-7 days, around 75%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?: Monday, 75-80%

* How many fish in the tank and their size?: 2 other fish (3 total), all around 4 inches from the nose to the tip of the tail

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?: no conditioners (I have well water at the moment so there's no chlorine)

* What do you feed your fish and how often?: gel food (tithra's recipe) once daily

* Any new fish added to the tank?: no

* Any medications added to the tank?: added first round of prazi with salt to the tank on Monday

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank: Started prazi/salt on Monday, this was their first round. I was planning on doing about 6 rounds, but will probably hold off on the next round for a little bit.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus: Frayed fins from getting stuck in the overflow box (dorsal and tail fin) and pineconing

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.: poor balance/trouble swimming after injury. No symptoms before the injury.

Do you have a QT tank if she needs to be separated?

Go ahead and do the water change tomorrow, but hold off on the next round of Prazi for a couple of days.

I have an extra 10g, I just need to scrub it out a bit. Do you think that one would be okay? Should I set her up in a QT tank now or should I put her back in the main tank? (I have her in a bucket atm.)

I think it would be good to give her a break in the 10 gallon. This would also be good if we decide she needs Epsom or other meds.

Ok, I'll set that up then. Should I use any salt or antibiotics in that tank?

I have her set up in the 10g now with an air stone. I haven't added anything to the water yet. Hodor is just sitting in the corner and not moving. :(

I took a couple of new pics of her from the side:

L2Muw3n.jpg

MmGJEtN.jpg

I have her set up in the 10g now with an air stone. I haven't added anything to the water yet. Hodor is just sitting in the corner and not moving. :(

I took a couple of new pics of her from the side:

L2Muw3n.jpg

MmGJEtN.jpg

Let her rest and recover with the light off.  Let's wait and make sure there is no real pineconing before we add any salt.  Just keep the water pristine for now.