Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kiara1125

Best food for fry? Need answer ASAP.

I have 60+ goldfish fry that are coming up on one week old. I'm currently feeding them egg yolks and they've already doubled in size. I can't go to a lfs because it's an hour drive away and I have a busy schedule. I was thinking about ordering offline. Well, I was thinking bbs and now I'm thinking other things. What are your guys' views on vinegar eels and microworms? I see someone selling a kit for each and it's a culture for the same price as what frozen food would be. Would vinegar eels or microworms be good for goldfish fry?

Thanks in advance!

I personally would try and get baby brine shrimp. :)

I have to buy an air pump for bbs, so that would make my total around $20. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible. It's not that I don't care about the fry, but it was an unexpected and accidental spawn. Plus, I have to take my cat to the vet soon, so I'm saving my money since I don't have a job. Every penny counts.

Edited by Kiara

Do you have any algae infested plants/decor from your other tanks?  My fry fed off of that, and were quite plump by the time that I found them.  I also gave them Repashy, as it was soft and smaller than pellets.

Do you have any algae infested plants/decor from your other tanks?  My fry fed off of that, and were quite plump by the time that I found them.  I also gave them Repashy, as it was soft and smaller than pellets.

I have a SAE who cleans like crazy along with 3 nerite snails, a clown pleco, and three bristlenose plecos, so no - I don't have any algae. I currently have some java moss in with them, so they've been snacking on the infusoria.

Edited by Kiara

I have to buy an air pump for bbs, so that would make my total around $20. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible. It's not that I don't care about the fry, but it was an unexpected and accidental spawn. Plus, I have to take my cat to the vet soon, so I'm saving my money since I don't have a job. Every penny counts.

I like Tammy's suggestions :). They do like to nomnom on algae :rofl. I believe ChelseaM fed hers repashy powder and cooked repashy.

I like Tammy's suggestions :). They do like to nomnom on algae :rofl. I believe ChelseaM fed hers repashy powder and cooked repashy.

Where do you get the Repashy from? I saw it on eBay, but it was for $16 for a small bag ... O.o

Anyway, now I'm mainly looking at the microworms. Would microworms be good for the fry?

Edited by Kiara

Where do you get the Repashy from? I saw it on eBay, but it was for $16 for a small bag ... O.o

Try Amazon?  If you're only feeding it to the fry, then it should last you quite a while.

Try Amazon?  If you're only feeding it to the fry, then it should last you quite a while.

Still too expensive for my taste ... $13 plus $5 for shipping. That's even worse. Plus, I'm not sure I like Repashy. I got some for my Crested Gecko and she hated it. Wouldn't eat and got super skinny. Switched her back over to Zoo Med CGD and she got fat and happy again.

I fed mine BBS for the first 3 or 4 weeks, and also kept lights on so I could get a heap of algae growth that they nommed on.

After that I started feeding Hikari First Bites, and a Food the LFS recommended, Sera Vipan Baby. I actually find they seem to look and do better on the Vipan Baby than the Hikari, maybe because it's a little bigger than the first bites? I've also started introducing chopped bloodworms, they are still a little small to handle them unchopped but they love them. 

Buy a mortar and pestle and grind the pellets you feed your adults down into a powder . . . .

Uhhh ... ok ...

I have Hikari Gold as my adults' staple food. Does them wonders. I bought a microworm culture for the fry and it should be here by Monday. Yay!

Hi Kiara,

Check out my post in the Tips section called  Brine Shrimp for fry - very basic recipe.

It doesn't use an aerator, just a straw and empty water bottles. I used my tank and a lamp to regulate the temperature. Your costs are the cysts and the seive to strain out the BBS from  the salt water. Cost for both, about $10.

Fantailfan1's tip on crushing pellets is good too, you can do both. Good luck!

Best Food = Baby Brine Shrimp :)

The best food is baby brine shrimp. I am not entirely sure I've ever seen someone do microworms for goldfish fry, only other baby fish fry. I fed a mix of Hikari first bites, Repashy Spawn and Grow powder, and microorganisms from plants for the first two weeks. They then graduated to actual Spawn and Grow as a gel, and once large enough (6 weeks or so?) ate whole frozen bloodworms. During the entire time, I had floating plants (baby water lettuce) in the container for them to pick on the roots of. The plants are host to thousands of microbugs that baby goldfish really enjoy, as well as they love to eat the roots themselves for fiber. 

I'm not too sure on the logic as to why you don't like Repashy. Crested Geckos are picky eaters, from everything I've read, and if they aren't used to a food product they don't often go eating it. Plus, you'd be feeding a totally different animal. Repashy fish food products are highly recommended in the fish community because even picky fish will eat them most of the time and they are extremely healthy foods.  Just my :twocents

My opinion is to get rid of as many of the fry as possible. You don't seem to want to spend a small amount of money on them and and soon you will have 60 grown fish that you can't care for, since you will need to purchase space for all of them. From what I see so far, you needed advice ASAP for fish you had known for a week you would need food for. Then you asked for advice but took none of it, and instead went with your own original choice, which other members said no-one uses for goldfish. I would start planning ahead now to avoid a certain train wreck in the future. 

From what I see so far, you needed advice ASAP for fish you had known for a week you would need food for.

???

She doesn't need live food immediately. Not ever really, it's just nice to have. What's wrong with microworms? As far as I know, BBS are just easier to deal with. I hated microworms.

Kiara, if cost is so much of an issue, I can send you ~50 grams of eggs and a small air pump. The pumps come with a filter I use for my guppy tanks but I run them all off one so I have the extras sitting in a drawer unused. That should be enough to give 60 fry a kickstart.

From what I see so far, you needed advice ASAP for fish you had known for a week you would need food for.

???

She doesn't need live food immediately. Not ever really, it's just nice to have. What's wrong with microworms? As far as I know, BBS are just easier to deal with. I hated microworms.

Kiara, if cost is so much of an issue, I can send you ~50 grams of eggs and a small air pump. The pumps come with a filter I use for my guppy tanks but I run them all off one so I have the extras sitting in a drawer unused. That should be enough to give 60 fry a kickstart.

If you look at the thread title, you will see "asap" was in there. I'm not saying it. My point was needing food advice "asap" is one example of failing to plan. Then noones advice was taken. Now, there will be a space issue when the 60 fry become adults. With no job, no money for food, 2 dogs, 13 cats etc, planning ahead of time must be done to determine how and where 60 fish will be kept and where the money to buy those containers and filters will come from.

???

Thank you, you're so kind, but I couldn't possibly accept. You're too sweet. :) Is there a way we could talk privately?

My opinion is to get rid of as many of the fry as possible. You don't seem to want to spend a small amount of money on them and and soon you will have 60 grown fish that you can't care for, since you will need to purchase space for all of them. From what I see so far, you needed advice ASAP for fish you had known for a week you would need food for. Then you asked for advice but took none of it, and instead went with your own original choice, which other members said no-one uses for goldfish. I would start planning ahead now to avoid a certain train wreck in the future. 

I mean no offense, but I'm doing what I can. I'm not up for killing their innocent lives. Also, you don't know what I've been through. Had this happened a few months ago everything would've been fine. Also, I have an indoor 100g pond that these guys are going into, so I'm somewhat prepared. My dog has recently been diagnosed with cancer, so I had to spend $2,000 in treatment within the last 4 months, so don't think that I'm a terrible person just because I can't fish out $20. I'm doing the best I can and the microworm culture was only $5 with free shipping and everything I needed. I took a shot with it. So, seeing as how you don't know everything I've gone through (although I shouldn't have to feel the need to explain myself), I don't think it's very nice for you to have this attitude towards me. If you looked at my other post of these fry in the Goldfish Breeding section, you would have seen that I have homes for these guys, I was just wanting to know what to do on the food situation.

Also, I already stated that I have been giving the fry egg yolks as food. All you need to do is calm down, read, and not cop an attitude or "predict" that something will go wrong. Now, I will admit that I could also be taking this post the wrong way because it's hard to depict the tone people use over the internet.

I also want to mention that I'm not trying to sound harsh with this post. I'm just trying to explain everything and I'm under a lot of stress due to my dog getting sick at such a young age. I'm not sure if I'm going to lose him or not and it scares me.

Again, my apologies if I sound harsh or rude. I most certainly do not mean it.

???

If you look at the thread title, you will see "asap" was in there. I'm not saying it. My point was needing food advice "asap" is one example of failing to plan. Then noones advice was taken. Now, there will be a space issue when the 60 fry become adults. With no job, no money for food, 2 dogs, 13 cats etc, planning ahead of time must be done to determine how and where 60 fish will be kept and where the money to buy those containers and filters will come from.

And it once again appears that I'm being judged for having the amount of animals I do. Most of my cats are rescues and one of them has a paralyzed front leg because I picked him up from the highway after he got hit by a car. I mainly said "ASAP" because the microworm culture's auction was ending in an hour, so I wanted information.

Don't worry, there is nothing you could say that would upset me. 

???

And it once again appears that I'm being judged for having the amount of animals I do. Most of my cats are rescues and one of them has a paralyzed front leg because I picked him up from the highway after he got hit by a car. I mainly said "ASAP" because the microworm culture's auction was ending in an hour, so I wanted information.

You can jump to any conclusions you want but as you said yourself, you just spent a ton of money on a dog and are saving to take your cat to the vet. A 100 gallon tub will do for a while but even stocking at 15 gallons per fish that tub will only be good for about 7 fish when they get bigger. Many of the fry will die anyway so you may be fine. My simple point was that it doesn't seem you are in a position to raise 60 goldfish so you may want to get rid of some now before you get attached to them.

Good to know. Even though I'm "unprepared", at least I have fish that have been alive for over a decade now and I have homes for these fry. I'm not a terrible fish keeper and I've raised fry before, just not goldfish fry. You learn something new every day.

grind the pellets you feed your adults down into a powder . . . .

The above would take care of it all.  No need to spend extra money, no need to stress.  :)

Now everybody play nice!

Good Luck.  :D

grind the pellets you feed your adults down into a powder . . . .

The above would take care of it all.  No need to spend extra money, no need to stress.  :)

Now everybody play nice!

Good Luck.  :D

There is a large extra expense caring for 60 fish.