Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jes

Are we male or female?

Hey,

i just want to get some second opinions. I think i have one male butterfly and one female. I would like to know because i would like to use these fish as part of my breeding group in the future. 

What do you guys think??

Male:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f204/jesbaxter1/imagejpg6_zpsc8e76f4a.jpg~original

Female:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f204/jesbaxter1/imagejpg7_zps98e92db7.jpg~original

I could be completely wrong  :happydance

Thanks

:idont i can't tell

I can't tell either.

Any stars?

I can't tell either.

Any stars?

Not that i can see, but its a calico fish and has different colour specks on the gill plates. He (i hope) has been doing a little chasing. The vent on this fish is longer and narrower then the other fish i think is female.

Don't forget to check the pectoral fins too. With calico fish, I like to really stare and see if any of those little specks look raised or not. If they're white and raised, usually they are stars.

The chasing fish might just be a male. :) Any tiny white bumps on the pectoral fins like Chelsea mentioned? That's my dead give away of knowing for sure. And the gills. hehehe And dropping eggs, a female. hehehe

Edited by 4prettyfish

I think i can see some on the pectoral fins!! they are very small but are definitely a little raised. Do they become more noticeable when he is ready or wants to spawn?

Can you take pictures of them from their side? My male black moor has a vent exactly like your "female" goldfish. Same for my female fantail with your "male". Your guess might be reversed.

Also, could you try to take a picture of the pectoral fins on both fins?

I think i can see some on the pectoral fins!! they are very small but are definitely a little raised. Do they become more noticeable when he is ready or wants to spawn?

That I don't know.  I don't have any females.  My Crowned Pearlscale was driving me nuts months ago for I thought I was seeing some breeding stars on him but just wasn't sure. hehehe  Then, one time, weeks later, I definitely saw them and knew.  It's like a line of tiny white bumps on the edge/tip of the pectoral fins.  When my fish swims a certain way or gets under the lights a certain way I can see them good.

My 3 males have breeding stars on their pectorals. My calico fantail who isn't ready to breed has smaller stars. The two males who have already bred have huge breeding stars on their gill plates and pectorals.

Lookat the vents from the side and try to see if they are concave or convex.

Lookat the vents from the side and try to see if they are concave or convex.

The vent on the one I think is female does stick out. The other one which is giving me the identity issue doesn't. ????

Your males must showed stars on pectorals fin and gill

This photo may help

bfc3c26119a63db01506d05f2bcf1496.jpg

Edited by hassan.zidan