Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jeana727

I need reassurance!

I have mainly fed Mazuri GelFood to my goldies FOR YEARS!!  I ran out (actually could sworn I had another KEG....but apparently not the case!)

But I do have Saki-Hikari pellets! New bag, never opened...until now! Since I am having temporary but slight  financial issues I am trying to stay on a budget! (I hate budgets!!!  LOL..not really..they are a great idea in any case!!) So I have decided not to reorder Mazuri yet.

I have started feeding the Saki-Hikari each morning. I soak several pellets (they are kinda small) in some tank water & drop them in. The fish seem thrilled...but then goldfish seem eager to eat just about ANYTHING!! Then I feed the poor starving lil' guys again in the evening.

Right now they are still poking around just in case they have missed any!

Are these good as the main food source? Opinions appreciated!

Edited by Jeana727

I think it's fine :) I'd also pick up some red leaf lettuce the next time your at the store so they are still getting some veggies. You can just clip it in the tank and they'll nibble

Oh yes! I forgot to mention I always add some sort of fresh veggie....We always have some sort of fresh veggies so I drop some in of whenever I am chopping daily! I also drop in an Algae wafer...SUPPOSED to be for the bristlenose plecos...but you know how THAT goes....the lil' Plecos push their way in to get their share!!!

Thanks!

Edited by Jeana727

Then I feed the poor starving lil' guys again in the evening.

Right now they are still poking around just in case they have missed any!

I lol'ed at this. I am learning this part about goldfish owning first hand. I swear our fish is trying to do the Jedi mind trick on me sometimes.

I feed my Goldies the saki-hikari pellets daily so your all good as everyone had stated. Are alge wagers actually okay for them? My goldies won't nibble at lettuce leaves or spinich.

Edited by msmayhem

"Several pellets" doesn't seem like much. Do you weigh your fish? You could weigh the food to determine how much to feed. :)

Well....my SEVERAL is probably about 20 or so of these small pellets twice per day. Plus assorted veggies here and there.

That seems very light to me, but I haven't fed these pellets and I'm not sure how many fish you have right now. 

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105915-food-weights-by-brand/

Notice how 25 pellets equals a tiny slice of Repashy gel food. I would be cautious about overfeeding a new food, but it sounds like you are feeding .2 grams a day. You are very far from overfeeding.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I've never tried the gelfoods but I do feed the hikari lionhead and nls food.  My fish have had great growth with these pellets as their main staple.  I have the tiny, very small pellets of the nls food and I feed them a lot for my three good size fish.  Like what Shawn had said, 20 or so does seem on the light side. 

Edited by 4prettyfish

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105915-food-weights-by-brand/

Notice how 25 pellets equals a tiny slice of Repashy gel food. I would be cautious about overfeeding a new food, but it sounds like you are feeding .2 grams a day. You are very far from overfeeding.

Hmm,  that didn't sound like a lot of food when Jeana had mentioned it.  I'll have to look through that thread you attached of Jess's.  Thanks for that.

Wow! This is a really good conversation!! 

Guess what!!  I decided to dig thru my drawers of stuff under the tank & found a new bag of RAPASHY!!  I'm gonna whip up some of that right now!!

I am going to go ahead & fed both the Rapashy AND the SakiHakari pellets daily!!  This sounds like a really good combo to me!!!