Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ruby

How to deal with spawning without keeping fry?

Bubbles started spawning again this morning. Not sure why as the temp and such has been constant. I'm not planning on keeping the fry because I have another surgery coming up on the 20th this month and I will be bed bound again for awhile. Last month/end November before my last surgery she spawned and my husband was doing fish duty - I was very excited but all the fry ended up dying as the heater broke during a night when we had a big temp drop. Anyway I can't look after them myself and I don't want to put any added pressure on my husband - this surgery is going to be a bad one and he'll have his hands full with me and I don't want him having to worry about fry on top of everything else.

So one of the problems I had last spawning was all the other fish pigging out and I had a round of constipation to deal with which was thankfully sorted out by a 3 day fast. Not long after that they all had another bout of constipation when my husband overfed them and although they're all fine now I really need to avoid it happening again. So this time I have separated Bubbles into the QT tub with heater, filter, air stone, plastic plant and my smallest (and toughest) male Chu. I was thinking of doing a relay with all three my males every few hours. I was hoping this will make sure Bubbles gets all her eggs out. Bubbles is about 4/5 times the size of the males so I'm not worried about them stressing her out (she seems annoyed that they think her butt is a vending machine more than anything else :teehee ). I will also have all my horde on a 3 day fast again because I think she probably started spawning during the night and they likely all have their tummies full of eggs by now, my repeat offender Munch is looking floaty already  :wall  .

If anyone can suggest anything else that I need to do besides just keeping an eye on everything please let me know. Any advice on how to reduce the occurrence of spawning would also be appreciated

Edited by Ruby

You can't reduce spawning. It will happen when it happens, no more and no less. Believe me, lots of us have tried or wanted to due to various reasons. Spawning can last from 1 day to several weeks in a row. 

My biggest suggestion is to not feed them when they pig out on eggs. Just let them eat the eggs and do a large water change within 24 hours of each spawn. This is necessary to remove the remaining eggs and stop the tank from becoming polluted with protein film. If you need to feed anything else, just feed plant-based food.

If you need to, just keep her in the QT with the most active/least floaty male and let them do their thing. This will reduce the size of the water changes necessary. 

You can't reduce spawning. It will happen when it happens, no more and no less. Believe me, lots of us have tried or wanted to due to various reasons. Spawning can last from 1 day to several weeks in a row. 

My biggest suggestion is to not feed them when they pig out on eggs. Just let them eat the eggs and do a large water change within 24 hours of each spawn. This is necessary to remove the remaining eggs and stop the tank from becoming polluted with protein film. If you need to feed anything else, just feed plant-based food.

If you need to, just keep her in the QT with the most active/least floaty male and let them do their thing. This will reduce the size of the water changes necessary. 

Thanks ChelseaM :) . Their tank is due a water change tomorrow anyway so I'll make sure to do 100%. I'll also make sure to do a full water change everyday for the QT tub until she stops spawning -  thankfully the QT tub is nowhere near as big as the main tank :rest:

Chelsea has given you wonderful advice, I just wanted to say light, peace and love to you for your surgery.

Chelsea has given you wonderful advice, I just wanted to say light, peace and love to you for your surgery.

Thanks for the well wishes! I know I'll be fine :flex:

It's hard having surgery and down time :( and not being able to take care of our fish. I understand that myself for I've been there a couple of times last year. Sounds like you will have some great help with your husband. May your surgery go well and your recovery time also.

Edited by 4prettyfish

Thanks! :) At the moment I'm all over the place and just trying to focus on other things. I work in health care though so it's given me a good perspective on everything, I know many people who are in far far worse situations than me so it keeps me from feeling too sorry for myself :rolleyes: . Lying in bed and watching my fish is one of my great joys, I can easily watch their silly antics for hours :wub: . I honestly don't know what I would've done if my husband wasn't helping me with my babies though. I can manage feeding them myself now but water changes and cleaning is just impossible at the moment. It makes me feel for those people who are forced to give up their pets because they can't look after them anymore. I knew one elderly man through work who was placed into a nursing home and they took away his little dog. The dog went to another family member but the poor man was sobbing, it was absolutely heartbreaking :(