Kokos Goldfish Forum
Huckleberry

Two new sick fancy goldfish

F96E3024-B15E-4D94-907D-C04355B43947_zps

So I'm brand new to Kokos and to goldfish keeping (just saying). Someone suggested I make a thread on here about my goldfish, both of them are sick. This one, Pablo, has a slight peach fuzz on him that's worrying me, as well as a thicker white fuzzy patch on his tail . Also behind his right gill plate there is an orange thread dangling from him with a few scales at the end of it.

ED8CF46E-C5AC-4923-ABFF-47047DFB5E99_zps

This is the other goldfish, Scarlet. She has bad swim bladder problems that I'm treating by fasting her for the next few days >.< as well as this red patch behind her fin

Help please? What medications do I need to treat them?

Hi and welcome to Kokos, your'e at the right place to get help! Sorry that your fish are unwell.

If you could please fill in this form, it will help the moderators to understand what is going on. Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Good thing that you added pictures! They might need a video of Scarlet's behavior as well as close-up pictures of the affected areas of both your fish (if possible).

Edited by Isa17

I haven't been able to get a test kit, and I know that I should have gotten one a long time ago, but I'm picking one up later today, and I'll test the water immediately.

Tank temperature is just under 70°F, it's a 30 gallon tank that has been running for two months. The filter is a 70 gallon hang on back Aquaclear filter. I change 10% of the water weekly and did a 30% water change yesterday after I noticed the fuzz on Pablo and the red patch on Scarlet. It's just the two of them in the tank, they're both about an inch and a half long, I haven't done a proper measurement yet. I used API stress coat for their water conditioner. They're fed 5 Tetra goldfish pellets twice a day. No new fish, though they're pretty new (December 20). Only medication added has been stress coat to help Pablo's frayed fins, which I assumed came from him being with large Black Moores in the pet store. Like I mentioned, Pablo has a small white fuzzy patch which I can't get seem to get a decent picture of. Pablo stays near the middle or bottom, while scarlet moves throughout the whole tank. Oh! And as for aeration in the tank I have the filter and a big air stone. Scarlet for the most part acts normal, other than occasionally floating upside down in one of the corners.

Edited by Huckleberry

Please remember to get the API Freshwater Master test kit when you pick one up. It may seem expensive at first, but over time it is less expensive than strip tests. Also, strip tests are not accurate and therefore are not in any way recommended. The API Freshwater Master kit is a drop test kit that is highly accurate. :) 

Hope they feel better.

Welcome to Koko's :) Sorry your 2 goldfish are not feeling well, hope they get better soon. They sure are pretty :)

Hi. I want to ask a couple things I bet the moderators will ask, just to speed things up.

Can you describe the swim bladder problem? Sometimes the float at the top. Sometimes they float upside down. Sometimes they sink. Sometimes they lay on their side... Etc

Can you post pictures of the white fuzz? I think I can see the orange string with scales, but better pictures of all problem areas will be helpful. Also can you post any video? Usually people post a video to YouTube and then link to it in a post here. 

I'm sorry I see you already answered many of my questions duh!

Edited by DieselPlower

Please change all of the water now.  Since you haven't been testing, have changed little water, and this is a new tank, you almost certainly have toxic levels of ammonia and nitrite in the tank.  If the fish looked perfectly healthy in the store this is probably their problem.  

Once you get your test kit, would you be so kind as to copy the form and then put the test results and information you gave in post #3 right after each question?  It is very difficult for us to find and sort out the information when it is given in a paragraph.

When this is done, we will guide you through the process of "cycling" your tank.

Welcome to the forum Hukleberry,

You'll find everyone here to be very kind and the Moderators, Helpers and members to be  EXTREMELY helpful. This kind of thing is nothing new to the Moderators they should be able to fix you right up. I've been here for a few months and am still discovering how the forum works. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Newby section, when you do a bunch of local members will pop up and say hi. I now have a bunch of aquarium friends an hour south. I have aquarium equipment detritus I share LOL! There is even a list posted here in the classifieds I think. People are always giving away equipment, food, dechlorinator,tanks, power heats etc. Oh they give away fish too. Many people (like me) quickly find they are overstocked and have to rehome some goldfish right quick. It's still really early, give the  Moderators some time (they work as a team) and before you know it your fish will be right as rain.

Welcome!

Glenn Dalton

Hi  :hi  I hope they both feel better soon. :)

You are in good hands here on Kokos. I just wanted to send healing energy to your cute fish. :hi

Hello, and welcome to Kokos!  I'm sorry that your fish are sick, but I'm glad it brought you here!   :)  The mods recently helped me treat my sick fish (it's what brought me here as well), and they're doing so much better now.  It seems like a lot at first, but the moderators and/or helpers walk you through everything step by step, and they're very patient.   :goodluck

I agree with Shakaho's comments.  I'm guessing the fish are ill as a result of ammonia and nitrite poisoning caused by insufficient water changes done during the cycling process.  A 100% water change will help immensely.  Just make sure to match the temperature of the new water to that of the tank.  Since you are getting a pH test today, it would also be good to test the pH of both the tap and the tank before doing such a large water change.  If there is a huge difference (especially if the tap is much lower), this can shock the fish.  In addition, I would recommend that you replace the Stress Coat with Prime water conditioner to help you detoxify any ammonia and/or nitrite.

Hi and welcome to Kokos, your'e at the right place to get help! Sorry that your fish are unwell.

If you could please fill in this form, it will help the moderators to understand what is going on. Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) • 0.6ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tank) • 0.8ppm

* Nitrate level(Tank) • 20ppm

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) • 7.5

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? • Nutrafin Test Drops

* Water temperature? • 70°F

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? • 30 gals, running for two months

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? • 70g Aquaclear Fluval Power Filter

* How often do you change the water and how much? • 10% weekly, 30% yesterday, about to do another 30%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? • yesterday, 30%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? • two fish, each 2 inches long

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? • Stress Coat

* What do you feed your fish and how often? • 5 Omega One small goldfish pellets in the morning and at night

* Any new fish added to the tank? • no

* Any medications added to the tank? •stress coat to help Pablo's fins

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? • Pablo tends to hide behind the driftwood I have in my tank, but has been coming out more lately. Scarlet acts fairly normal until she starts floating upside down, which she corrects within seconds

Good thing that you added pictures! They might need a video of Scarlet's behavior as well as close-up pictures of the affected areas of both your fish (if possible). • I'll get some pictures and a video right away.

Answers filled in above Edited by Huckleberry

Are those numbers before or after you did another WC?  You state you do 10% weekly, did 30% yesterday . . . And then the water was tested today?  No further WCs?  :idont

Did you get a pH test kit?  :idont

These are the numbers from today, no water changes since yesterday

And I forgot to fill in the pH but it's 7.5

Can you also test your tap water pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and fill it into the form.   Depending on the results, we may recommend that you do a 100% wc rather than an additional 30% wc.  

* Ammonia Level(Tank) • 0.6ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tank) • 0.8ppm

* Nitrate level(Tank) • 20ppm

* Ammonia Level(Tap) • 0ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tap) • 0ppm

* Nitrate level(Tap) • 0ppm

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) • 7.5

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) • 7.5

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? • Nutrafin Test Drops

* Water temperature? • 70°F

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? • 30 gals, running for two months

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? • 70g Aquaclear Fluval Power Filter

* How often do you change the water and how much? • 10% weekly, 30% yesterday, about to do another 30%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? • yesterday, 30%, water was tested today

* How many fish in the tank and their size? • two fish, each 2 inches long

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? • Stress Coat

* What do you feed your fish and how often? • 5 Omega One small goldfish pellets in the morning and at night

* Any new fish added to the tank? • no

* Any medications added to the tank? •stress coat to help Pablo's fins

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? • Pablo tends to hide behind the driftwood I have in my tank, but has been coming out more lately. Scarlet acts fairly normal until she starts floating upside down, which she corrects within seconds

I'll get some pictures and a video right away

Great! Since the pH matches and the other tap parameters are zero, I would recommend doing a 100% water change to bring your tank parameters to zero. Just be sure to match the tap temperature to that of the tank :)

I changed out the water throughout the day, it even LOOKS cleaner than before, the way a fish tank should look. :)

Parameters in the tank all match the tap water now

But overnight Pablo got a red patch that matches Scarlets, only his red patch reaches into the fin

CBE6BAAA-059A-4C60-B51F-9C458AAC0DD4_zps F5D56762-CCCF-4788-AB13-0360DA1A48E8_zps 23A04E82-1729-4F82-A91D-1A8D9EE65F3E_zps

I put Scarlet in the breeder trap, she was having a lot of trouble swimming and ends up floating almost on her side. The breeder trap is because she kept floating into the filter stream and hitting the glass. She is still breathing and swimming around a bit within the trap though.

pH - 7.5

Ammonia - 0.3

Nitrate - 20

Nitrite - 0.8

4817F2A1-3575-482A-A69C-C3F03F986D0D_zps 6C9E5D40-0786-4B7B-8601-EFFBF0A81E7B_zps 5572093B-A676-42FA-A286-E6451ED526DB_zps

I think the bubbles on her tail are from the big air bubble under the trap.

How much and how often are you doing water changes to manage the ammonia and nitrite?  Are you adding Prime daily to neutralize them?  

I think it would be a good idea for you to add 1 Teaspoon of aquarium salt (or 3/4 Teaspoon of Canning/Pickling Salt) per gallon of water to help those red spots as well as to offset nitrite toxicity.  

It would also be a good idea to get some Seachem Metronidazole and Kanaplex to have on hand in case we decide they need antibiotics.

I did a 20% change two days ago.

I'll pick up some Prime tomorrow, and add the aquarium salt right away. And I'll try to find Kanaplex and the other thing

I did a 20% change two days ago.

I'll pick up some Prime tomorrow, and add the aquarium salt right away. And I'll try to find Kanaplex and the other thing

Okay, I would encourage you to do larger water changes until your tank is cycled and your ammonia and nitrite are reading zero.  If you do a 50% water change, replace only 1/2 of the salt you originally added.