Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
purple

Just Read Walmart Thread...

We all conjure up a lot inner strength when we go to stores like nnnnnn and refrain from buying all the fish in order to save them... but does anyone ever feel like we're forsakening the poor fish because of something is beyond their control? i feel bad when i see poor, sick fish... but i think it's even worse for me because i feel like there's no justifying not buying them because they're not cute enough or because the condition of the tanks...

what do you guys say?

Guest ed586

:rolleyes: I hate to say it. Total rationalization. :blink:

Buy the pretty ones so they won't get sick too! :lol1:rofl

we cant buy every sick fish we see or we would be way overstocked and lose our own fish. Its walmarts fault and dead fish make no money for nnnnnn

well, why am I here today is becuz of my soft heart.. there I was, walking by this aquarium.. seeing 2 packs of goldies (feeders) selling as FISH FOOD.. and they are jus so cute... smaller than your finger nail...

I thgt I have to save them.. and I did.. chose the best 2 pack and here I am today, growing from 1 ft tank to 2 ft and third tank and so on.. ahhhhh there is no ending... but I believe I have done a good job.. there are some nice fishes in the 2 packet of fishes.. and I have a total of 47 fishes now.. the bigeest is at 3 inches..

so it is either you save them or save yourself (in long run).. and how many can you save?? there are so many more feeders being fed and so many fancy dying out there.. beingm ore practical, save your wallet.. only spend for a good cause.. I believe this is the motto of a fish keeper.. same amount of money, but rather have it well spent on a good fish instead...

by the way, is that a picture of you (the small pict)?? if so, what's that greeny thing on your head?? looks like a leaf.. cant see well.. too small..

I feel sad for the fish, definately. The fish in my local nooppee are in such horrible shape that I can't imagine being able to cure them, and the heartache of trying and failing keeps me from buying them, and I have seen some beautiful fish (3 inch black moores for ex.) but they are always SO infested with disease....not just one but secondary also.

I want to not look, but its like a carwreck....I just gotta..

Keekee :(

Guest tooterfish

the horrible thing and the honest truth is that fish are disposable.

they produce hundreds of eggs, multiple times. and because the supply is there, the care is not. Most are mutts (oops, i have eggs) and the quality determines the price.

the sheer numbers determine the price. It is true for any animal we humans consider pets. This is our society.

breeders who charge 50, 100, 200+ dollars per fish are not selling them to go home to people who have a 1 gallon bowl. They get sold to people, who either really care for their fish, or have alot of disposable income.

if nnnnnn

(and i'm not bashing here, 2 of my fish are from there and are and remain healthy)

and similar stores sold fish for $100 or more, you can be sure that they would receive better in-store care. Who wants to spend 100 bucks on a fish that has ich or swim bladder issues? Who wants to spend any money on a fish that is sick? (God bless those that do, i completely understand the pull of the heartstings for that certain fish, regardless of condition) But the amount of fish they move, even with the high mortality rate, must be profitable.. or they wouldnt keep them in stock.

myself, as a novice, am afraid to put down $150 dollars on a fish from a breeder that has had exceptional care, only to bring it home and have it die. All my fish (5 of them) cost less than $10 total (granted all the money i have spent on tanks, product, food etc.. well, its a good thing my husband loves me)

the fish i have brought home (29cent feeder, $1.49 comet, 2-$2.49 fan tails and a 2.99 beta) to me, are priceless.

but for every one i have, hundreds do not make it.

think of the sea turtles who lays many many eggs to insure that one will live.. do we feel guilty for their loss, or are we thankful for the one that survives?

Edited by tooterfish

I agree that there is a mentality out there that fish are disposable. I mean we dispose of millions of dogs and cats every year, too.

I have tried to buy fish that no one else wanted and that have been ill. I have been successful in nursing them back to health in most cases. I have also bought some that I just loved and thought were beautiful and had to have, but in the end, you know, I love my little rescues just as much as my "beauties".

I just recently bought a betta a WM. I swore I would never buy a fish from there, but the conditions that this little guy was in were just so appalling, that I couldn't walk away. He was the last one on the shelf, and I guess he was disposable until the new shipment of pretty ones arrived :(

Edited by touchofsky

If I rescued so many fish, id just end up killing most of them since they need their space. theyd be no better off with me if I become so overstocked so I just sigh and hope some other guy buys it and takes good care. I still have a few feeders I saved and I may buy a couple more when I get my 280g tank

Guest Ceridwen

Buying the fish there doesn't make nnnnnn treat them any better. If you don't want nnnnnn to treat their fish that way, then don't buy them, and tell them WHY. Don't buy anything there. Speak with your money, it's all they will understand. If enough people did, they would either treat them better or stop carrying the things, I'd be happy either way.