Sign in to follow this  
Morgan'sMiracles

Moving Rooted Plants?

8 posts in this topic

So my 29g planted tank has absolutely no aquascaping or planning. Basically, I threw in lots of plants and waited to see which ones would stick. And that was fine, at the time. . . But now I want a tank with structure, grace, and lilys that aren't in the foreground.

So how does one safely remove deeply rooted plants without harming them?

Thanks guys!

E

Honestly, I just grab them and pull. As long as they are healthy, they should have no problem re establishing themselves. If they are lilies that you are moving, I have pulled mine out and cut the roots way back and they grow back fine. My goldfish recently removed all the leaves for me and the plant actually has come back healthier now that I had to cut it all the way back.

Honestly, I just grab them and pull. As long as they are healthy, they should have no problem re establishing themselves. If they are lilies that you are moving, I have pulled mine out and cut the roots way back and they grow back fine. My goldfish recently removed all the leaves for me and the plant actually has come back healthier now that I had to cut it all the way back.

Really? That would be fine? I'm so super nervous about harming them, cause I have zero money to replace them if they die.

Well, this method works for me. Like I said, if they are healthy it should be fine. What types of plants are they? If i were you, and could not replace them, I would want to do a bit of internet research. As far as my personal experience, I have never had a plant die from moving it. If you put them in a new tank with different parameters, there will usually be some die off. If you are just moving them in the same tank, I would think you are fine.

I just grab and pull as well. If you aren't ripping them out you can safely move and re-plant plants without losing many roots.

If you want to encourage new roots to grow in their new spots you can put a root tab in to encourage root growth but it's probably not necessary :)

Grab and gently pull. There may be some resistance, but it'll come out easily. Trimming roots will also encourage new root growth.

Here are some plants I've pulled out before (rooty mess). I was rather aggressive and hacked about 3/4 of the roots after this photo was taken. They bounced back fine.

15975485198_0b913f0b46_z.jpg