Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jenzaar

Finnex Stingray LED Light (pic/blur heavy)

A few weeks ago I dropped the cheapo light that came with my 40B into the water. :yilkes I gave it a few days before turning it back on :scared and within a few minutes the room smelled like smoke and the light was shut off. So..... Time for a new light? :o

The 125 still has the fixture I used before we upgraded. It's a decent light, and I'm lazy, cheap, and not totally sure what I'd want in its place since it is only 48" long and leaves some areas dark. So I decided to let the broken 40B light be an opportunity for experimentation. :rofl

Anyway, started looking around over the weekend. There was no method to my purchase. I saw this, it had a low profile, good reviews, and came from a brand I recognized. So I bought a 36" Finnex "Stingray."

It is smaller than I thought it'd be! very sleek.

20141229_161655_HDR_1.jpg

20141229_161708_HDR.jpg

it definitely puts off a ton of light, and easily lights up a tall and deep tank. BUT, it is very purpley blue. Unlike some LED lights that have a moonlight setting, you cannot turn the blue off.

With my regular t5ho lighting: (yes these pictures are awful)

20141229_164126_HDR.jpg

with the Finnex:

20141229_162314_HDR.jpg

But! I didn't buy it for the 125. I bought it for my daughter's purple fish tank. And it is fabulous. :panana

20141229_163047_HDR.jpg

20141229_163025_HDR.jpg

20141229_163042_HDR.jpg

20141229_164731_HDR.jpg

Bottom line. Would I recommend this light?

Yes!

But my enthusiasm comes with a disclaimer! :rofl

I recommend it if you don't mind a blue hue. I DO mind a blue hue in the 125, I guess I prefer a more natural-y light in there. But otherwise, it's a yes. :teehee

Hope this was at least a little bit helpful, to someone out there. :D

It looks great, Jenna!  I'm curious to see how it does with your plants.

Thanks! Tomorrow I'll get the sand in and i think it'll look nicer still. :D

I'm not too concerned, to be honest. If they don't do well... Replace? :donthit:

Awesome, Jenna!! :D

Looks great Jenna!  And it will look even better with the sand!  :nana

(BTW I can't turn off my blue lights on my Marineland Double Brights either.  When the white lights are on, so are the blue.  The moonlight setting is blue only . . . . )

Ooohh! Derp that makes sense! :ignore

Had that a little backwards didn't i? :peeka

Can you believe she was excited? :rofl after all that scheming (and then just telling her i got it) she said, "cool! I actually like that kind!" :doh11::rofl

That is the coloring I like :P it makes my fish's colors pop! Get black sand for that tank :pp #TeamTMS it would look AMAZING with that lighting. 

That is the coloring I like :P it makes my fish's colors pop! Get black sand for that tank :pp #TeamTMS it would look AMAZING with that lighting.

I already did! :nana

Will add it tomorrow... I wanted it in there since we set it up but a little girl told me she only wanted white sand. :rofl NO! But she's happy with tms now. :)

Hmmm I'm curious now. I want to see if i like it a little better on the big tank again. It just seemed weird.. On the fish, on the sand. :idont

with purple/blue lighting, I prefer a darker substrate so it brings out the fish's colors more instead of reflecting off of the substrate. I have a purple/blue bulb on my tank... well two :rofl

Isn't blue light one of the least absorbed colors by plants? :idont

Wow, that light is very thin! I like the blue on Jenny's tank! It gives it a cool girly retro vibe. :rofl

Wow, that light is very thin! I like the blue on Jenny's tank! It gives it a cool girly retro vibe. :rofl

I believe so :peeka 

Jenna, email me big pics when you add the TMS.  I saw some black diamond blasting sand at the Tractor Supply Co, and it's made me very curious, indeed.

:teehee thanks! :D

Jenna, email me big pics when you add the TMS. I saw some black diamond blasting sand at the Tractor Supply Co, and it's made me very curious, indeed.

:o i will!

Jenna, email me big pics when you add the TMS. I saw some black diamond blasting sand at the Tractor Supply Co, and it's made me very curious, indeed.

on a Facebook page I'm on they use the blasting sand I believe. Let me see if I can find a picture. I'll pm it to you.

EDIT: it is not blasting sand, it's a coal slag.

Edited by Mikey