Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
asteria

couple questions about my 1 week old fry..?

Merry Christmas everyone!

My fry are just about 1 week old now! So far, only a couple deaths in the first couple of days, so i would assume things are going as they should..

However, i am noticing a few fry have backs that are starting to curve downwards... its slight, nothing seriously bent out of shape since they still look normal from the top, but when compare i can tell the difference between straight backed fry and those who have a curve to them.... I think its too soon for fancy frys to start curving? These are ryukin/moor babies.

Also, today when I was feeding them i noticed that a red dot is visible on/thru their stomach area... is that an organ or something? I saw this on some of them only,... maybe I was seeing it only because I was running late on their feeding schedule so their stomachs were kinda empty? Any response to these questions would be great! Thanks! 

Congratolation hatching Tempreatuer upper than 20 C effecting fry spine curve . If you dust adult food to feeding fry its look red stomach in your fry, could you post a photo .

Edited by hassan.zidan

Congratulations!!!!! 

i see.... i can try to post a photo, but my camera sucks at catching small things lol. so if i lower the temp then would spine curve be reduced? 

about 20C ideal for fry to rise, i face the same problem and after experts advising me now its okay

Edited by hassan.zidan

okay so now I have another problem.... some of my fry seemed to have gulped air and are now having issues with buoyancy. they seem to like being at the surface lately..... not sure what the problem is? im changing their water daily with a turkey baster so i dont think it should be a water quality issue? their water temp is down to around 70 F.  

You need to do PRAZI for flukes , if your fry two week age and surface / gulped that mean wormer / parasite could effecting your fry . praziquantel is a common treatment you have to check How-to first .

Edited by hassan.zidan

Small fry typically hang out at the top.  Goldfish fry have to gulp some air when they first start swimming to fill their swim bladders, which is why you are told to keep fry in very shallow tubs.

okay cool, ill start the prazi treatment then, thanks!

So could the bouyancy problems be from them accidentally gulping air then? they were swimming around fairly well a couple days ago beforehand. Now they seemed to have eaten bubbles or something becuase they have bubbles in their tract and I think thats why they are having trouble swimming now. The bubble that i am seeing is not their swim bladder, its in their gut. Is there anything I can do about this? 

Edited by asteria

Usually some of the fry stay on the bottom of the tank and other buoyancy and gulping, as mentioned above keep you water level Max 6" for 2 week . Some swimming trouble from the food that hard to digest.