Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Georgia

Found some interesting pellet foods

:hi

Lately I've been looking for some new pellet foods for my goldfish, as my current rotation is beginning to expire. When it comes to food, each of my fish have different tastes. My larger hibuna, Olive literally acts like a hog....I'm not even joking. She'll eat anything. :rofl Orange, my little comet, however is more picky. She doesn't like Super Green gel food at all, I've tried many different times to make her eat it, and she spits it out all the time. She is also picky with several vegetables.

Anyway, I was lurking on eBay (as I always do! :P ) and found some pellet foods that struck my fancy. The company that manufactures them is not a large commercial brand, but more like a small business. They are called "Your Fish Stuff." They food they produce has no preservatives and is made in the USA, according to their page.

Two types of foods caught my attention in particular. Keep in mind, both these foods are not marketed toward goldfish, but their ingredients are very similar to what is in commercial goldfish foods.

First off, I'm looking for a supplemental pellet that has mostly veggie and algae matter rather than fish meals and such, to get more plant matter into my fishes' diets. I found a pellet that is made for shrimp, called 'invertebrate sticks.'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YFS-Invertebrate-Sticks-1mm-Shrimp-Fish-Food-1-2-LB-to-5-LBS-choose-size/251664303203?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D318606628d56431a9423f7eeec9741af%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D20131003132420%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D331365085215&rt=nc

Here is the list of ingredients and the guaranteed analysis for quick reference:

Green Peas, Salmon Fish Meal, Soy-Meal Flours, Kelp Seaweed, Krill Meal, Spirulina, Celery, Carrots, Squash, Spinach and Broccoli. Brewers Yeast, Lecithin, Calcium, Vitamin/Mineral supplements plus Double Stabilized Vitamin "C", Methionine, No Preservatives.

38% Protein
7% Fat
7% Fiber
8% Moisture

Next, I found another pellet food, but with more animal proteins. This one is made for marine fish.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Your-Fish-Mega-Marine-Small-Sized-Pellets-1-5mm-Saltwater-Fish-Food-1-2-Pound-/251095398310?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7673b7a6

Herring Meal, Squid Meal, Krill Meal, Spiruliana, Chlorella Algae, Kelp Meal, Garlic, Yeast, Yeast Extract, DL Methionine, Brewers Dried Yeast, Lecithin, Paprika Oleoresin, Marigold Extract, Astaxanthin, Beta Carotene, Canthaxanthin,and vitamins and minerals

56% Protein
9% Fat
3% Fiber
10% Moisture

The only thing that strikes me is that the protein is reeealllyy high! But if this is fed in moderation with other foods, I don't really see a problem. (i.e. : one food with 30% protein, one with 56% and one with 40% would average out to 42% protein overall)

I was also looking into getting Hikari Lionhead before, but I feel like this food is better ingredient-wise over Hikari. Here is Hikari Lionhead's list of ingredients for comparison:

Fish meal, wheat flour, krill meal, carotenoid fortifier, soybean protein, spirulina, seaweed meal, enzyme, DL-methionine, monosodium glutamate, garlic, and vitamins and minerals including stabilized Vitamin C.

Let me know what you think! Thanks.

I would be interested to know if they float or sink. 

Shoot, I didn't even think of that! I'll send a message to the seller and ask.

The information is in the links.  Both are sinking.

:thumbs:

What do you think of the ingredients, Sharon?

This is really interesting Georgia. Do any of them have probiotics in also, like in the Hikari? Apologies if the info is in the links, I'm just being lazy :P

They look like pretty good ingredients.  I don't know enough about goldfish nutrition to second-guess the people who make goldfish  food.  I don't worry much about it since my fish are all outdoors where they have natural foods to nibble on.  I figure that any reasonably decent food combined with algae, duckweed, bugs and worms is going to give my fish everything they need.

In nature, the primary food for goldfish is detritus.  This is the dead and decomposing organic material found in the bottom of lakes, ponds, and fish tanks that aren't vacuumed.  It's not as bad as it sounds, since a wealth of bacteria, algae, protozoa, and small bugs and worms also feed on detritus, so when a fish slurps some up, they get a lot of live food too.

There is one concern I have about high protein foods.  Nearly all of the ammonia produced by goldfish comes from the metabolism of excess protein (either by the goldfish or by bacterial decomposers).  The amino group of each of the amino acids that make up proteins are snipped off to make ammonia.  Feeding the fish more protein than they can make use of will result in more ammonia, and in a cycled tank, excess nitrate.

They look like pretty good ingredients.  I don't know enough about goldfish nutrition to second-guess the people who make goldfish  food.  I don't worry much about it since my fish are all outdoors where they have natural foods to nibble on.  I figure that any reasonably decent food combined with algae, duckweed, bugs and worms is going to give my fish everything they need.

In nature, the primary food for goldfish is detritus.  This is the dead and decomposing organic material found in the bottom of lakes, ponds, and fish tanks that aren't vacuumed.  It's not as bad as it sounds, since a wealth of bacteria, algae, protozoa, and small bugs and worms also feed on detritus, so when a fish slurps some up, they get a lot of live food too.

There is one concern I have about high protein foods.  Nearly all of the ammonia produced by goldfish comes from the metabolism of excess protein (either by the goldfish or by bacterial decomposers).  The amino group of each of the amino acids that make up proteins are snipped off to make ammonia.  Feeding the fish more protein than they can make use of will result in more ammonia, and in a cycled tank, excess nitrate.

Was lurking on this thread and that was an interesting read. Does that still apply to older, wenned fish? I have absolutely no idea how the wen forms besides that it's a protein growth. I also have no idea about the growth rate of wens in older fish that are actually bred to have large wens such as Orandas. Haha.

Edit--- I realised that made 0 sense. Basically, do older fish need as much protein as younger fish? I ask because of the wen tissue on older comets and other breeds. Also does any excess for body growth mean more wen tissue in younger fish?  :hmm

Edited by JustRachel

The information is in the links.  Both are sinking.

Thanks for the info. I skimmed through the first link but must have missed it.

Looks delicious :feedme

:rofl

Looks delicious :feedme

:rofl

OMG, Aubrey, I thought the same exact thing! I thought I was the only one! Look how nice and green they look! :rofl

$_57.JPG

They look like yummy vegetable sticks! :feedme

Looks like fish terds!

Looks like fish terds!

OMG! :rofl

Looks like fish terds!

What...that's not appealing to you? :P

Here us a good pellet to consider that is packed with algae, seaweed and doesn't have grains in the first four ingredients: New Life Spectrum AlgaeMax

Ingredients:

Algae; Chlorella, Ulva Seaweed, Red Seaweed, Kelp, Spirulina, Wakame Seaweed, Whole Antarctic Krill, Whole Fish, Eucheuma cottonii, Spinosum Seaweed, Chondrus crispus, Whole Wheat Flour, Omega-3 Fish Oil, Alfalfa, Astaxanthin, Capsanthin, Zeaxanthin, Vita

Crude Analysis:

Crude Protein (min) - 32%

Crude Fat (min) - 5%

Crude Fiber (max) - 10%

Moisture (max) - 10%

Ash (max) - 9%