Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JustRachel

Why today, Tango? >:(

I came home from work to find eggs all over the bottom of the fancies tank and my anacharis so I moved the anacharis to a bowl. My stocking situation is fixed in the other tanks (yay) so I'd kind of like to raise them. I'm pretty sure they're Scooby and Tango's (both fantails) spawn (Mari was eating them whilst Scoobs was STILL chasing Tango as he was this morning).

What should I be buying in terms of food and equipment?! How long does it take them to hatch? Are fertile eggs clear or white? Should I buy another air pump and sponge filter since my current ones are being used for Chiaro's quarantine? When do they stop feeding on the yolk? Will they be ok at 68F? How is culling done?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get this right.  :peeka

Edit----

Okay there's a tonne of info I didn't read. This thread'll be for progress then. ;)

Edited by JustRachel

Normally Mamas eat eggs since Dads chasing , you can check a diary of breeding threads above , its might take 3-4 days to see black eyes . No food another 3 days its will be full of 6 days .

Edited by hassan.zidan

Day 5 and we have black eyes! The room's so cold I guess they'll take forever to hatch.  :unsure:

I counted about 11 healthy eggs, 2 infertile and 2 fungus-ed ones that I removed. I doubt I'll have much success with such a small spawn.  :thumbdown

2u5yp2w.jpg

Normally Mamas eat eggs since Dads chasing , you can check a diary of breeding threads above , its might take 3-4 days to see black eyes . No food another 3 days its will be full of 6 days .

That's a good point. I'll guess I'll know if anyone gets telescope eyes  :hmm

From the photo you post you might see them tomorrow swimming jerky . Congratulation

Still no hatching  :no: I'll give them until tomorrow and if no luck then I'll wait for the next spawn.

Thank you Hassan. :)

Edited by JustRachel

Do you happen to have a small heater you could try putting in there? :idont

Congrats on the eggs.  Maybe, fry tomorrow?

Do you happen to have a small heater you could try putting in there? :idont

Only an 150 watt :|

Congrats on the eggs.  Maybe, fry tomorrow?

Thank you. :) I hope so!

16/12/2014

They hatched  :D The brine shrimp hatchery was just set up with 90% hatch rate eggs so fingers crossed. 

My eggs took 10 days to hatch, possibly longer, because I didn't bother with a heater haha. Congrats on your fry :D

Yay congratulations! :)

Pics for a breeder's medal!  :nana

Thanks everyone :D

A bad photo of the parents, Tango and Scoobs.

9jnlax.jpg

349cjt4.jpg

2d9634h.jpg

They're so strange but cute  :teehee

The one from the back and down is it Tango ?

No, that's my telescope, Mari :)

The father is the ribbon tail below Tango, Tango is at the top. :)

Usually I let my eggs sit in a tank with no air or heater until they hatch.

Then once I see them hatching I put paper towel on the surface and soak up any oily film so the fry can get a good gulp of air for their swim bladders.

I then get a heater setup in the tank to 24-25°c

And fit a small sponge filter with low flow of air.

Keep the sponge filter outlet right at or just above the water surface. Stops the fry swimming into the stream and getting injuries (ie broken backs etc)

And set up a light once free swimming and eating.

This seems to encourage them to eat more.

Just some tips I've found have worked for me.

I have a few tanks with 10 or less fry in them and they have done well.

Oh. For future spawns put a few drops of methylene blue in the water with the eggs.

Stops mold/fungi attacking the eggs etc.

Thanks blackmoors! Much appreciated. Hopefully I'm more prepared next time.  :rofl

Day 10 (technically)

They're 3 days old now :D Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to move them in together into a storage tub due to only having two outlets on my air pump, one for the hatchery and one for the fry. At the moment I have some fry in my plant tank, and others in a bowl. I also wish I could get daphnia from the pond, but nope, the one time they spawn its' in the winter  :thumbdown I also have to sort out my 3rd pond plans soon  :whistle

Also, if I mod reads this, should I be emailing fry photos for a breeders medal?  :hmm

Edited by JustRachel

I alerted Koko.  She is the giver of the medal.  She will do it when she gets a chance.  :D

4 days old! They were moved over to a storage tub.. up to 40 fry  :yikes  Two passed today unfortunately but uh oh.

ael01v.jpg