Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hinfin

Oranda fry diary, THE BIG SPAWN!

The third batch hatched today Yafashelli! Total about 5000 fry! :teehee

Probably this would seem worrying to some, but i need to spend hours of culling then move them to indoor ponds(which i have) and i'm working on a plan to rent a 200m2 outdoors pond after that.

Planning ahead is a good thing.

Have a great christmas and change of year everyone, i'm doing all i can for the little ones  :flex:

Edited by Hinfin

The third batch hatched today Yafashelli! Total about 5000 fry! :teehee

Probably this would seem worrying to some, but i need to spend hours of culling then move them to indoor ponds(which i have) and i'm working on a plan to rent a 200m2 outdoors pond after that.

Planning ahead is a good thing.

Have a great christmas and change of year everyone, i'm doing all i can for the little ones  :flex:

:yikes

Congratulation : but the video of fry eating BBS . My question : current like this Will cause fry SBD or broken spine ?

Edited by hassan.zidan

The tapwater is running at its lowest speed and does not affect the fry, it looks to be very strong but the actual flow from siphoning in water trough an airline is also pretty strong current for fry.

One problem you might want to prevent is having unhatched eggs or eggshells from the BBS in your tank. Fry that eat those in their first few feeds will die. This is because these are not digestible to fry and the fry do need to put energy into eating these and passing it trough their digestive tract. So BBS needs to be as shell/eggfree as possible. Once the fry have accepted the BBS as their food they will leave the unhatched brineshrimp eggs alone and you can siphon them off.

I seem to have sorted this BBS first feeds, only had a couple that died because they were unable to eat at all. But i think this is a genetic thing and will allways occur.

:yikes

It will be the most enjoyable vacation for me koko! So much work i can just keep going and make things better! I do understand this may seem daunting to some, but i do know what to do! :thumbs:

I have culled Batch #1, there were soooo many. These are selected for a nice tail and double(lobed) swimbladder, i have about 250 in this batch now out of about 2000 i thing. Not an easy task, but seeing these beautyfull fry having all the space and food they need makes up for the loss of the others a bit.

These are selected for a nice tail and double(lobed) swimbladder, i have about 250 in this batch now out of about 2000 i thing.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what do you mean by 'double (lobed) swimbladder'?

A double or lobed swimbladder is a long swimbladder which has a front and a back lobe. I personally think fry that have this kind of swimbladder have a better buoyancy control and balance out better. Shorter swimbladders can be fine, but there are also fish with an egg shape swimbladder which seem to get a spinal deformity later on. As these are still very small you can see right trough them. You can also see which have a crooked spine or an internal deformation at this stage in their development.

It is of the utmost importance to cull fry, not only to reduce numbers but also to keep deformaties out of future breeding stock or if this is the case out of the later fish you are going to rehome or sell. This is also the reason why i do not grow out accidental or small spawns. Especially the Fancier Goldfish genetics carry alot of defects which makes breeding them more complicated.

Ive tried to make pictures of the double swimbladder but ended up with enlarging some general shots i'm afraid. They just won't sit still!

It should be clearly visible what i mean with the double swimbladder though.

DSC_5525.jpg

DSC_5524.jpg

DSC_5513.jpg

Update on the fry, you can see by now batch #1 would have bursted out of the tank if i would not have culled this drastically. The remaining fry are so increadibly beautyfull though, fills my heart..... :pease:

Ive tried to make pictures of the double swimbladder but ended up with enlarging some general shots i'm afraid. They just won't sit still!

It should be clearly visible what i mean with the double swimbladder though.

DSC_5525.jpg

DSC_5524.jpg

DSC_5513.jpg

Clearly, you are starving the poor things :rofl

That's a lot of fry!! How old are your first batch now? :)

Clearly, you are starving the poor things :rofl

Underfeeding would definately mess up a spawn, only the faster swimming fry would be getting a good portion of BBS. Possibly leaving you with single tails and runts. Overfeeding BBS is hardly possible i think, you only need to siphon what is left over when you fed too much, but a daily siphon and WC is needed anyway.

But anyway, it has been christmas and santa was not too busy to hatch plenty of BBS :cookie:

That's a lot of fry!! How old are your first batch now? :)

Batch #1 is from 8 december, #2 from 15 december and #3 from 23 december. So roughly they are a week apart. The tanks are 125cmLx50cmDx30cmH for size reference.

And another week passed!

It's so cool seeing how much the fry change, and how quickly they start to look like miniature goldfish.

That is a lot of little button eyes!

Oh wow, they're looking like proper little fishies now! 

I love seeing these updates, I can't wait to see how they grow into big beautiful orandas :)

Thanks!

Its really amazing to see them grow, much more so in RL offcourse. Having so many fry it is hard to keep having everything ready when they need it. I really need to keep planning ahead and keep making room for them to grow out. I have enough room for another month or so, but then i need to have some large growout pond ready or i have to sell them young. Maybe even do both.......

Some tough decisions coming up, best to decide early and not let things get out of hand!

Ooh Amazing juveniles i wonder how you reach this size at aquarium , very lovely the dot eyes .

Thank you for the interest.

Important in my way of handling these large spawns is a seperate incubation tub, 90% daily WC's and letting each tank cycle with the fry in(so also with new sponge filters). Something i discovered this morning is that my third batch (which is not doing as well as expected) has a diatom bloom going on. In the other two batches i have had such a bloom much earlier and i know this is an important stage in the cycle. The bloom disappears after the next 90% WC. I hope this did not damage the #3 batch too much, note to self how strictly one should keep their records and maintain a certain balance trough WC and feeding. I do remember having overfed the #3 batch at one time and had increased WC's after cleaning up the mess, probably this had interrupted the cycle. 

Pic update! :D

My God what insane amount of work i have gotten myself into :wall  But finally things are getting manageable. Ive culled alot this weekend, you can see much more by now and i'm pretty sure is have a nice selection ready for growout in a month or so! :pease:

DSC_5604.jpg

DSC_5608.jpg

DSC_5602.jpg

DSC_5601.jpg