Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
landmouse

Juvenile Fish Having Trouble Eating Pellets

I was advised to switch my goldfish's food to one of a higher quality, so I purchased some Omega One small (1.5 mm) pellets Saturday and have Spirulina 20 coming in on Wednesday.  The directions on the pellet can say to feed only what the fish can eat in ___ minutes, so on the first day I put a very small pinch in there (maybe 15 pellets) and watched.  They didn't get any down in that time, as they kept spitting them all back out.  I vacuumed the excess at the end of the time limit.  At the next feeding I soaked them in tank water for 5 minutes first to see if softening them would help.  They chewed a bit longer, but spit most of them back out again.  Each fish might have gotten the equivalent of one whole pellet in the time limit.  This has been the case at each feeding since Saturday.   I had to stop vacuuming the excess because of instructions from the other thread, but have only put 6 pellets total in the tank at each feeding to help keep the tank tidy.  The fish are commons and are 1.5", 2.0", and 2.5" in length.

1)  Are they getting enough to eat?

2)  Do I need to find even smaller pellets?

3)  Are the pellets alright and they're just having trouble because of flukes?

Today is day 9 of the 5 day Prazi protocol found here, if that helps.

If it is just the new pellet they are having trouble with, they could just need something smaller or need a bit of time to adjust to the pellet size.

Pellet-spitting can, however, also be a symptom of flukes, as you know.  If this is the reason, you should beginning seeing some improvement as you work your way through the protocol.  I would try crushed pellets and see if they can get some food into them.

I didn't think about crushing them, thank you for the suggestion!

Is two pellets per fish per feeding enough for them?  Unfortunately, I don't have a kitchen scale that measures in grams, so I cannot go by weight as suggested elsewhere...

Do the lengths you posted include the tail or not?  :idont

Crushing is a great idea.  :D

Yes ma'am, they include the tails.

Edit: The other thread I started in D&D has pictures and a video linked if you need them.

Edited by landmouse

Just an update:  crushing the pellets helped tremendously.  Thank you both!

Any idea how old they are?  Looks to me like they could use more food.  :teehee

No idea on their age, but since they started eating so much better on the 9th with the pellets crushed, I upped the feedings to 3 pellets per fish.  At this point, they're not quite getting through all of that in 5 minutes, but then there's still a lot of pellet spitting happening as well.  As they heal from the flukes, I'm hoping that will change.

Just an update for anyone in the future who finds this thread via "Search:"

I was corrected in a different post about how long to let them eat; it should be 2 1/2 minutes instead of 5, and vacuum immediately anything leftover to avoid overeating and constipation in the fish.  (I definitely had a problem with this in my tank at first.)  Crushing the pellets worked wonders.  At first, they could only eat 1 pellet each in the allotted time, but during round three of the Prazi Protocol, their fluke symptoms vanished, and their appetites increased.  Instead of taking 2 1/2 minutes to eat 1 pellet, it now takes about 30 seconds!  We've moved back to 2 pellets each now, and they're doing well with only a small bit of vacuuming required at the end.

LOL, I've got some errands to run this morning, but I'll try to get some decent ones tonight!

I think this calls for updated pics.  :photo:

:lol2

I posted one with a short video here.   :whistle