Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
britbrit916

Is ada amazonia worth it?

I'm setting up a 125 gallon planted tank and i'm wondering if ada amazonia is worth it. Iv used eco complete, up aqua shrimp sand, and I think flora max. I liked the up aqua sand but I think it would cost to much to do a big tank with it. I did not like the eco complete or flora max. Iv also tried dirt caped with sand and didn't like that at all either. So I think an aqua sand is the way to go for me. So is ada worth it? Does any one have any experience using it with gold fish? Any other suggestions? 

I've never used it myself, but I do know that there are a few members that have it.  I hope that they'll chime in soon.

Edited by yafashelli

I'm cycling a little 10 gallon with it now for shrimp. I know it's great for shrimp and I've read great for plants as well. I can't even imagine how expensive it would be to use in a 125 gallon tank though. Used about 2/3 of a 9 liter bag, which are $30/bag.

Were you putting goldfish in too? I'd think it would not be ideal for them, low ph and light weight.

I'm cycling a little 10 gallon with it now for shrimp. I know it's great for shrimp and I've read great for plants as well. I can't even imagine how expensive it would be to use in a 125 gallon tank though. Used about 2/3 of a 9 liter bag, which are $30/bag.

Were you putting goldfish in too? I'd think it would not be ideal for them, low ph and light weight.

the buffering thing has been one of my concerns but i don't know of another high quality aqua siol that dosent buffer. 

It is popular here among tank designers.  I think that Tithra had some problems with it.  I'll try to find the thread for you later today.

I have aquasoil, not with goldfish though. You can buffer against its softening capabilities and these only last about 6 months. It leaches ammonia heavily to begin with. You will have to do daily water changes to keep parameters in check and let it cycle for a few weeks without fish. Aquasoil is terribly expensive though. It cost me $120 for two 9 litre bags, although I suspect it's somewhat cheaper in America.

Do you mind if I ask why you didn't like the eco-complete? I'm in the process of setting up my first tank and I've been dawdling these last few weeks trying to decide on a substrate and at the moment eco is one of the front-runners. :)

I have aquasoil, not with goldfish though. You can buffer against its softening capabilities and these only last about 6 months. It leaches ammonia heavily to begin with. You will have to do daily water changes to keep parameters in check and let it cycle for a few weeks without fish. Aquasoil is terribly expensive though. It cost me $120 for two 9 litre bags, although I suspect it's somewhat cheaper in America.

I'm not to worried about the ammonia i don't mind the water changes. It is very expensive that's why i want to see if its truly worth it or if i should go with something else.

Do you mind if I ask why you didn't like the eco-complete? I'm in the process of setting up my first tank and I've been dawdling these last few weeks trying to decide on a substrate and at the moment eco is one of the front-runners. :)

I didn't like the feel or look of it. But that's just me being picky. :P

Have you looked in to Activ-Flora? I have it and am totally in love with it. They make about 5 different colors; I have the Lake Gems. It's great for plants, and actually contains micronutrients itself (as opposed to being inert and absorbing and releasing ones you add, like Eco-Complete does - not that that's bad, but one less thing to have to worry about!). I still do add Flourish and root tabs, but don't add Flourish Iron since the Activ-Flora covers that well.

I've seen massive plant growth since I added it, and it's also really nice to look at. Mine is small, rounded rocks (like a pea gravel), but the black one and some other colors are closer to a sand texture. I much prefer the look and texture of it to Eco-Complete (although I've never had an aquarium with Eco-Complete, I was seriously considering buying it before I learned about Activ-Flora). I mixed mine with the CaribSea Super Naturals Moonlight sand, and am really pleased with the result. It gives sort of a beachy vibe, and the different colors of the rocks add depth to the aquarium. :)

I got mine from That Pet Place for $18.39/20 lb - not bad!

2488dd8aee508e8bc33348d725a0e22a.jpg

6b0abda3565dd44ffdee4f3debf9e8a4.jpg

Edited by *Amanda*

Have you looked in to Activ-Flora? I have it and am totally in love with it. They make about 5 different colors; I have the Lake Gems. It's great for plants, and actually contains micronutrients itself (as opposed to being inert and absorbing and releasing ones you add, like Eco-Complete does - not that that's bad, but one less thing to have to worry about!). I still do add Flourish and root tabs, but don't add Flourish Iron since the Activ-Flora covers that well.

I've seen massive plant growth since I added it, and it's also really nice to look at. Mine is small, rounded rocks (like a pea gravel), but the black one and some other colors are closer to a sand texture. I much prefer the look and texture of it to Eco-Complete (although I've never had an aquarium with Eco-Complete, I was seriously considering buying it before I learned about Activ-Flora). I mixed mine with the CaribSea Super Naturals Moonlight sand, and am really pleased with the result. It gives sort of a beachy vibe, and the different colors of the rocks add depth to the aquarium. :)

I totally forgot about this stuff! I read about it a couple of months ago and heard a lot of good things about it but i couldn't find anywhere to buy it. i think i may just go with this!  

How many pounds of active flora would i need for the 125?

Here's a good substrate layer/tank volume calculator: http://www.aqua-calc.com/mobile/calculate/gravel-rectangular-solid

It depends on how deep you want the substrate to be. I bought a 20 lb bag of Activ-Flora and a 20 lb bag of sand for my 50 gal. It's slightly shallower than I had initially wanted, but I made it work by pushing the substrate around the plants and holding the "mountains" in place with the jade stones. Actually, I kind of like having the varying depths like that - makes it more interesting to me than if it were all one height or a flat slope. :)

Edited by *Amanda*

I totally forgot about this stuff! I read about it a couple of months ago and heard a lot of good things about it but i couldn't find anywhere to buy it. i think i may just go with this!
Yeah, it is hard to find. I've never seen it locally, only online. That Pet Place seems to sell out frequently of the Lake Gems and black colors, but they get back in stock quickly and will notify you. Other places sell it too, I believe.

One thing I wanted to mention - the bag says not to wash it, but you absolutely should. Just hold the bag upright and cut both corners (CaribSea method). Then stick a hose in one hole and let the water come out the other hole. Keep kneading the water in the bag until it runs fairly clear. This will also get rid of the fine dust particles. They don't want you to wash it because it claims to be "instant cycling," but I've heard people say they put it in straight and had cloudy water for days. I washed mine for about 20 min and did not have this problem at all; my water was crystal clear from the start. :)

I'm not to worried about the ammonia i don't mind the water changes. It is very expensive that's why i want to see if its truly worth it or if i should go with something else.

It's a brilliant substrate for plants, but then it would be, it's quite literally dirt (fired into pellets). I'm not so sure I would use it for anything other than high tech though. There are so many cheaper substrates to choose from. UP Aqua Sand is thrown around a lot as an equal alternative, but if you want a cost effective method, you can grow pretty much everything in sand. You can make root tablets or buy some commercial ones.

This tank is a good example of what can be grown in inert substrate. If you're interested in reading the journal thread I can look it up--one of the few Australian tanks that performed well in the 2011 AGA contest.

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2011/show259.html

I failed to find the Tithra thread, but I thought her problem was that it was sharp??

I failed to find the Tithra thread, but I thought her problem was that it was sharp??

what was sharp?

Really, I'm trying to remember if this was her opinion or not, but someone thought the substrate itself had sharp edges that would irritate the goldfish mouth when they did their sifting and spitting out thing.

I don't think it was Amazonia that was sharp, it's really round and soft. If anything I would think it was the buffering. A ph near 6 and I think it buffers kh down as well.

You are probably right.  It's very frustrating because when I try to search for ada or ADA, nothing comes up, not even this thread??

Eco Complete is sharp, but not aquasoil. The latter is just dirt. You can make mud with it if you want. :rofl

I've used Eco Complete and I wouldn't call it sharp. It's more like gravel with a lot of variation, so I could have sharp pieces, but overall, it seems tumbled with rounder edges. :idont

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Someone had sharp substrate, demmit. :rofl

I could be remembering it wrong! I really could! :rofl I didn't like Floramax and Flourite -- they were sharp and rough.