Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
fancyblackgold

Europeans unite

18 posts in this topic

Hello all us foreigners here on kokos!

I'm alway on the lookout for new fish - especially quality fish.

Sadly Star Fisheries are too far away (by car at least) to go there and get the fish I want! I know that they have them or can get them for me, but 18 hours (at least) and paying for the tunnel and motorways just adds too much to an already steep price.

But I just cannot believe that there is only one primer goldfish dealer in the whole Europe! Do you know of any similar stores or places to get quality goldfish? Maybe where you can get them delivered even?

Ahh, I remember Ben's fish :heart

They were just fabulous.  Henk (HinFin) gets some nice fish too.  In fact, there was an earlier member from the Netherlands with good fish.  I think Ben was from northern Germany, so it might be within reach of you Søren.

Nothern Germany is very much in reach. I just can't believe a big country like Germany doesn't have a superb Goldfish supplier like Star Fisheries! So it has the be there.

If anyone has other suggestions - please just write. Then we can help each other.

Federica had some beautiful fish. Too bad she's not around often, I suspect she knows of some really good places.

Nothern Germany is very much in reach. I just can't believe a big country like Germany doesn't have a superb Goldfish supplier like Star Fisheries! So it has the be there.

The issue with fancy goldfish in Germany is that a lot of varieties won't be locally bred, because the deformities in those varieties (deformed bones, missing fins, abnormal growths) make the breeding of these varieties considered "breeding of defects" (Qualzucht); thus making it illegal to do so.

Most fancy goldfish in Germany come from imports. I remember Federica talking about this too back then because they may have the same laws in Switzerland.

Really don't care that they are imports. I just want quality fish. Price isn't really a cocern either - if I can get THE fish, who cares what it costs :)

England -> Denmark is just way too much and the rules to import animals are very strict in Denmark.

It is a bit the same in Norway in terms of Qualzucht, although more in people's opinions than in enforced laws. I do think that some of the Germans and Dutch seem to get their hands on beautiful fish.

Ben also buys fish from the same importer i am buying fish from. Ben has a different taste in fish and also buys bigger size fish then i. So all these fish and many, MANY more are available trough this same contact. As far as legislation is consearned all i know is that you can take common pets(goldfish) into another EU member country without breaking the law. You should quarantine them once you are home. For the UK and Norway you would need proper documents to take the goldfish into your country, i think its called a cites permit or something like that. You can get it at the customs before getting the fish into your country. Since Denmark and Germany are full economical EU members there is no such customs procedure for goldfish afaik. 

If you want to commercially import and sell goldfish you buy or breed you need to have a business licence and proper permits.

AFAIK It is not possible to send life animals trough the mail without dealing with all de (vertinary) custom checks and paper work, this is a very costly procedure. Having legislation preventing animal suffering is obviously a good thing, being able to get some amazing goldfish into your home and hobby is another.

Norway has a bit of a grey area for aquarium stuff - pets are governed by the food authorities.  From what I understand from local aquarium groups, no one will raise an eyebrow if you get off the ferry with a goldfish in a bag, although you should drive through red and show the receipt.  

How much of this is regulation and how much just practice at the dock isn't always easy to say.

Ben also buys fish from the same importer i am buying fish from. Ben has a different taste in fish and also buys bigger size fish then i. So all these fish and many, MANY more are available trough this same contact. As far as legislation is consearned all i know is that you can take common pets(goldfish) into another EU member country without breaking the law. You should quarantine them once you are home. For the UK and Norway you would need proper documents to take the goldfish into your country, i think its called a cites permit or something like that. You can get it at the customs before getting the fish into your country. Since Denmark and Germany are full economical EU members there is no such customs procedure for goldfish afaik. 

If you want to commercially import and sell goldfish you buy or breed you need to have a business licence and proper permits.

AFAIK It is not possible to send life animals trough the mail without dealing with all de (vertinary) custom checks and paper work, this is a very costly procedure. Having legislation preventing animal suffering is obviously a good thing, being able to get some amazing goldfish into your home and hobby is another.

hifin - is it possible to see a list of fish that this importer can deliver? Is it Rinemanns?

No you can't send it via ordinary mail, but a licensed courier can do it - also I know a few people in shipping, might be able to get a box on a truck :) But I would rather get them myself.

At this point I will not be selling or importing goldfish with the intent to sell. This is purely for my own benefit.

Ruinemans is an international importer, he is one of the very few who can deliver worldwide but only to petshops etc. Our importer Dino handpicks high quality goldfish in azia and imports those trough his channel. Very different approach and he also gets many fish from small breeders unlike the massive commercial channels and fishfarms.

This small quality emphasizing way of working is something i really think works for the fish, note that my new oranda were allmost instantly spawning when i got them, a sure sign they are in perfect health and shipped with the utmost care for the fish!

Ruinemans is where my LFS gets his fish from, so had to ask. Funny story - Ruinemans had 2400-ish black ranchus, all of them were missing at least 1 eye!! And who found that out? Me and my girlfriend cause we ordered some through my LFS. They didn't even notice!

love that approach exactly the way I want my fish to arrive! Where do you pick them up? Airport? I'm getting more and more into getting fish from Dino! Ah now you got me all excited!

Søren, get posting.  Once you have 100 posts, we can message you with more advice.

This thread is very interesting :):hi European Kokonuts :nana

Søren, get posting.  Once you have 100 posts, we can message you with more advice.

I'm trying!!

Ruinemans is an international importer, he is one of the very few who can deliver worldwide but only to petshops etc. Our importer Dino handpicks high quality goldfish in azia and imports those trough his channel. Very different approach and he also gets many fish from small breeders unlike the massive commercial channels and fishfarms.

This small quality emphasizing way of working is something i really think works for the fish, note that my new oranda were allmost instantly spawning when i got them, a sure sign they are in perfect health and shipped with the utmost care for the fish!

Ok so I finally hit 100 posts, so I wanted to revive this thread. I do have room in my tanks for more fish and my GF is practically begging for a new fish at this point. So please tell me more :)

I do have a few connections here in DK, so I might be able to order a large (5-10) fish for a number of people here.