Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
DieselPlower

Is a cat right for me?

57 posts in this topic

wow hun... very brave to post that.... :hugs to you and Milo :)

wow hun... very brave to post that.... :hugs to you and Milo :)

Thanks Koko. I don't know about being brave but I was a bit reluctant. I just think people can learn from others experiences, good or bad.

Milo has been with me for many, many years and I do think he's fine now and doesn't know any better. It's my guilt trip at times. Especially when he was a kitten/little.

Love no need to be reluctant. I feel as though there was a time where declawing was almost a norm. Kinda like a fad diet. But now it seems to be turning around. I understand there are times when it might be that or a worse fate but a little training could go a long way.. :)

Your story is helpful. Don't hesitate to tell people :) think of it as saving future kitten's little toes :)

Love no need to be reluctant. I feel as though there was a time where declawing was almost a norm. Kinda like a fad diet. But now it seems to be turning around. I understand there are times when it might be that or a worse fate but a little training could go a long way.. :)

Your story is helpful. Don't hesitate to tell people :) think of it as saving future kitten's little toes :)

Thank you Mel. Well, I am talking about 20, 21, years ago. That was a long time ago and I knew of others that had de-clawed cats. I am glad however that I not once had an awful incident with the "after affects." But I wouldn't do this again to a cat.

Hey, I don't have much to add but I want to mention a few things, as I have had a cat all 34 years of my life.  At least one and up to three at a time.  There was a cat in the house before I was even born. 

These are just some thoughts and ideas based on my experiences.  Feel free to take them or leave them.

*What Roni said was great.

*Yes, get adult cats, that way you won't have to train a kitten and you will know the type of personality you're dealing with.

*Mixed breeds are wonderful, if you are wanting a pure bred cat, many end up in shelters and there are even some breed rescue groups.  Mixed breeds and pure breds both make amazing pets.

*A cat does not need to be declawed.  They can be trained to use a scratching post (many adult cats will already know this), you can trim their nails, or you can use soft paws: http://www.softpaws.com/  But if you feel that you must declaw your cats, I feel that it's better to have a declawed cat in a home full of love, than a cat with it's claws sitting in a shelter.

*I've had both clawed cats and declawed cats (My parents declawed our cats when I was a child and I've adopted declawed cats).  Some will say that a cat is emotionally scarred after being declawed, but I've never experienced a cat that's acted like that.  I am not for declawing, as it is not necessary, but if it means one less cat in a shelter, than I'm all for it.  (Just needed to reiterate that point.)

*Use a high quality food, it may cost more now, but it will save you on vet bills later.  Finicky cats will get over it and learn to love the food that is offered.

*I've used many different types of litter, "World's Best Cat Litter" lives up to it's name . . . and it's flushable!

*Place your litter box in the bath tub, any urine or litter gets washed down the drain (only if using World's Best).

*Books you should have: http://www.amazon.com/Adopting-Cats-Kittens-Training-Guide-ebook/dp/B00DNL3AS2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1423463128&sr=8-9&keywords=adopting+cats

And this book (ignore the bad reviews): http://www.amazon.com/Boredom-Busters-Cats-Whisker-Twitching-Adventures/dp/1935484184/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423463186&sr=8-1&keywords=boredom+busters+for+cats

That's my 2 cents.

Good Luck!

Edited by Acro

Great post dude!!! Agree with it all!

DieselPlower,

So what did you decide to do?  Did you get a cat or two?  :D