Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
DieselPlower

Is a cat right for me?

57 posts in this topic

Ok looking for advice from cat people. I often work 7 days a week and can be gone from 9 to 14 hours or more if i have a soccer game. My house stays warm and has plenty of room. I live alone and am often bored when im home. I have been considering a cat for years. Just want to make sure they are ok alone a lot.

Is there a type of cat that would be most social when i am around?

I wouldn't get a cat if you are gone for so long. They need you there enough to feed, clean up, and play with them, especially when they are first acclimating to the home.

I love cats, and they are much more dog-like than people think. But if you are gone a lot, maybe two would be best. My husband had two when I met him, and his pampering of those kitties is one of the things that made me fall for him. :heart

People who work long hours can't keep cats?? The problem I can see is that a cat that gets lonely, bored, and nervous can get destructive. You might consider a pair of cats so they have company when you are gone. (Oops, I see ShawneeRiver just suggested that.)

Get a Savannah. Better yet, get two and let me know how that works out. :rofl

Cats would definitely be better for a person who isn't home for long periods of time. :)

What if you adopted a neighborhood outdoor cat, Diesel? Are there any roaming around you could feed and befriend? It is not as much responsibility, and they can go be a cat during the day when you're gone.

For example L33T is "our" cat, but his territory is our cul-de-sac.

He lived outdoors before we moved here - a homeless kitty. He was once someone's pet, he has a chip....and the chip did not lead us to the owner. So we as a small group of neighbors in the cul-de-sac adopted him as a group.

He has the best of both worlds: we feed him, he sleeps in our garage (with a cat door) on a nice clean bed. Fresh water everyday, flea and tick treatments and the occasional vet visit which we all (4 houses) split. He has at least 4 names. 2 neighbors have dogs which don't bother him. I help him defend his territory from other outdoor cats and raccoons.

At night, L33T loves to snuggle and be a house cat for as long as we let him.

It really works for me, I don't think I'd want the full-time responsibility of an indoor cat.

I'd suggest two cats as well. We have a maine coon and a mix and they keep each other entertained for our 9-10 hour shift. They are fairly social and hang out with us when we are home. They like to play with toys especially the laser pointer :P

When we only had our one cat he would be a little destructive to the couch but we got a tree and another cat and that stopped. I think he was just bored when we were gone.

Mysterygirl, that sounds pretty cool, actually. I will answer for DP and say that wouldn't work out as well in a Michigan winter.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone! Can anyone give me information on how much it costs to keep a cat? Or two cats? What are food expenses like? Kitty litter costs? Vet bills? I can obviously Google prices for these items but how much do they use? I see it seems like 2 cats would be best. Will this make my house smell like a litter box? I have a 1415 sq ft ranch house with a full basement under that. I remember staying at my buddies one bedroom apartment overnight once and he had 2 maybe 3 cats and it didn't smell good in there!

If you keep the litter box clean (actually, you should have two boxes for two cats), then smell shouldn't be a problem. Cats are cheaper than dogs to keep, but I can't give you numbers.

If you are looking for high quality dry food it can be $30-50 depending on brand. As for food you can find at Walmart no idea :idont you can go about food two ways: free feeding or measuring out meals. Free feeding might be better for your schedule. We free feed but you have to make sure they keep active and don't eat to much. My boyfriend and I feed wet food as a treat every once in awhile. It's good to get more water in their diet and they love the sauce :P

One idea for free feeding is a puzzle feeder. You put the food in the top and they have to paw it out the bottom to eat. This slows them down so that they only eat till they are full. We fed out a bowl at first and when we switch to the puzzle we noticed that we went through a lot less food then before. We just dump two cups in every night which over fills it (so some goes all the way to the bottom) our cats munch that all down at night and then the rest of the day they go over and paw some out when they're hungry. :)

An idea for water is a fountain. A common problem with cats is not getting enough water but they tend to drink more with running water (they are attracted to the movement). I also like the fountain because they hold a good amount of water. We refill ours every day to day and a half. It filters the water too if you can afford/ want to buy the carbon filter but those aren't necessary for it to work :) we clean it out every month (much like the tank filters).

Fountain and puzzle feeder might put you back $45-55 if I remember right.

As for litter you can really play around with it. Some brands work better than others. I really love a brand called Integrity. They have a clumping clay one and a multiple cats one. I found they are pretty much the same. There is no smell (unless one goes for a nice big number two and doesn't cover it well...), it clumps well, it's fairly cheap ($14 for the huge bag at my LPS), it lasts a long time too. We deep clean our litter box every month but a bag gets us through 2-3 months :)

Vet cost vary between vets I'm not sure what the average is. Spaying/neutering is going to being the biggest gaurenteed cost (unless they come already spayed/neutered) and yearly vaccinations are not too expensive but always be ready for accidents (like the big glass pan falling on it's leg or something :doh11: ) I do recommend micro chipping. Our one cat likes to slip in between our legs sometimes. He always comes back but just in case :)

Edited by Mernany

Cats like to drink out of fish tanks too. ;)

Cats like to drink out of fish tanks too. ;)

:rofl my cats live with my boyfriend and the tanks are at my parents so I don't deal with that..... yet :P

Don't get cats! Get dogs! :rofl

I really like my cat, and there are times when everyone is gone for long stretches during the day. - three days a week, no one is in the house for 9 hours. He is an only cat and does fine. He does go out, particularly on the weekends when we are around to let him in because it is cold and wet.

We find him to be an unproblematic and welcome addition to the house. Sits and watches TV with us, never destroys anything, eats a combination of off the shelf wet cat food, the dog's fancier dry food and table scraps (we buy a bit of fish for him). He has recently been belled and we get fewer birds on our doorstep.

I agree with getting multiple cats; they're great pets. :) They're not overly expensive pets to have. We have always had multiple cats (and one litter box), and our house is much smaller. I promise you, it doesn't smell like a litter box. Anyone that tells you that is looking for something to complain about. :)

Our cat doesn't like premium food--we tried it, but she only likes a certain brand of cheap stuff. What a weirdo! She's been with us ten years so far, so we must be doing something right. ;)

I think a cat is right for you, personally. Mine spend most of their time outdoors or sleeping and living by myself the chance of them being around or awake while I'm there is quite low. None of them cause me any problems from being "lonely" (besides taunting the dog, lol) I can't comment on prices because of country differences but good luck with your decision :)

I feed my outdoor cat (and a neighbor cat who likes to eat out) from a 13.5 pound bag of Meow mix, which I have to buy every 3-4 months for $12 a bag at Walmart. I get the tender centers, which is more expensive than the original, which is $22 for 30 pounds. It's the only brand Ebony likes. I've tried lots of higher quality food. She says, "Yuck".

Ebony was an abandoned cat who came to my house for food and decided she was my cat. She has a heated bed in the garage for cold winter nights. We have started locking her in the garage or the pool enclosure at night since the coyotes have been invading the Orlando area, and they like to eat cats and small dogs. She has a litter box in both areas, and I use the cheap pure clay litter from Walmart. I was using that for plants, so I had some on hand.

Ebony has had good health. I get some flea stuff that I put on once a month, and put some drops in her ears when they get itchy.

In contrast, my sister adopted a feral kitten that had been abandoned by its mother. Her dog found the kitten and brought it to her. She calls it her $2000 cat, because that's how much she spent on vet bills in the first year.

My cats including our new adopted out door cat eat BFF food. It has no grains, preservatives and colors. I spend .99 cents each for a pouch. So in about 3 weeks I spend about $130 for food. Plus cat littler we get ArmandHammer no fragrance cat litter.

Now just Bob and Buddy use the cat litter the other cat that lives outside (Ms. Kitty) has the whole yard as a potty, she picks a spot at the far end of the lot to do her duties. She also has a heated kitty bed outside to keep her warm.

Oh and dont forget the scubbies..... We give outs the Greenies Scoobies as treats.

My cats including our new adopted out door cat eat BFF food. It has no grains, preservatives and colors. I spend .99 cents each for a pouch. So in about 3 weeks I spend about $130 for food. Plus cat littler we get ArmandHammer no fragrance cat litter.

Now just Bob and Buddy use the cat litter the other cat that lives outside (Ms. Kitty) has the whole yard as a potty, she picks a spot at the far end of the lot to do her duties. She also has a heated kitty bed outside to keep her warm.

Oh and dont forget the scubbies..... We give outs the Greenies Scoobies as treats.

Koko, is that a typo, or do you really spend one hundred thirty dollars on cat food every three weeks?

Koko, is that a typo, or do you really spend one hundred thirty dollars on cat food every three weeks?

Sorry every 4 weeks. yup.

Generally, cats being the perfect "single animal" is a myth. Cats are much more social than most people think and prefer to be kept in a pair. 

Sure, there are exceptions with individuals that just can't get along with other cats, but other than that it is always the better choice to have two cats, especially when you are not home 24/7.

I find that a bit extreme, but whatever works for people. :)

I do agree with grain free cat food though, it is better for their teeth. I like to buy the Blue Buffalo grain free dry cat food and provide plenty of water, with canned cat food as "treats", and pay nowhere near this much for three cats a month.

I wouldn't even be able to afford that much money for cat food, even with both hubby and I working full time.  :krazy:

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Generally, cats being the perfect "single animal" is a myth. Cats are much more social than most people think and prefer to be kept in a pair.

Sure, there are exceptions with individuals that just can't get along with other cats, but other than that it is always the better choice to have two cats, especially when you are not home 24/7.

I find that a bit extreme, but whatever works for people. :)

I do agree with grain free cat food though, it is better for their teeth. I like to buy the Blue Buffalo grain free dry cat food and provide plenty of water, with canned cat food as "treats", and pay nowhere near this much for three cats a month.

I wouldn't even be able to afford that much money for cat food, even with both hubby and I working full time. :krazy:

I love blue! I've been thinking of slowly switching to grain free. They are on the indoor cat kind and love it but yeah I'll switch here soon. :)

I will explain why .... For me it was cause this was the only food I could find around here that didnt have Dyes, artificial flavors, msg and grain.... See Bob suffers the same problem with humans consuming red dye or anything like that in his food, he gets super hyper active.

So I either have to Adjust what I was spending else where or give Bob meds....

It wasnt that much till the thrid kitty came into the picture :thud

any way carry on... Sorry

Good posts everyone thanks!